Omnisphere 2.6 announced at NAMM [RELEASED 27-03-19]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

musiclover91 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:56 pm YES!! To those who feels Omnisphere is over rated, I can say i personally see a lot of Asian music makers(I'm Asian) using only Omnisphere(synth-wise) throughout a song. I asked why and they just said that its the best thing that was ever made:). looking forward to get this
What does the ethnicity of somebody, as opposed to genre of music, have much of anything to do with synth choice these days? lol...

GMusic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:29 am
musiclover91 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:56 pm YES!! To those who feels Omnisphere is over rated, I can say i personally see a lot of Asian music makers(I'm Asian) using only Omnisphere(synth-wise) throughout a song. I asked why and they just said that its the best thing that was ever made:). looking forward to get this
What does the ethnicity of somebody, as opposed to genre of music, have much of anything to do with synth choice these days? lol...
He's not saying it does, just that he see's a lot of his compatriots using it.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:38 am
GMusic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:29 am
He's not saying it does, just that he see's a lot of his compatriots using it.
Thanks for helping me clarify it bro!:)

Any news yet?

Still my favourite soft synth by far. Forever expanding from the Atmosphere days. Continuous updates a tweaks. Great feeling when something is well supported.

But it’s just a rompler!!1

Been using it since Atmosphere was released (that’s a freakin’ 17 years!), and it’s still one of my favourites and most used soft synths.

Captain wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:29 am But it’s just a rompler!!1

Been using it since Atmosphere was released (that’s a freakin’ 17 years!), and it’s still one of my favourites and most used soft synths.
Yeah same here

March ? Mid March? Late March? Tomorrow? :D

BTW I don't think spectrasonics has implemented a feature I keep asking for. If not, and anyone else wants to encourage it I'd be grateful.

Certain arp vsts out there (I've forgotten specifically) have different ways of implementing things. One thing that I rather like is available in a couple. It is a function that makes the arps reset at a prominent beat location.

[Note - I reference "reset positions". The Omnisphere Arp page has a "reset" button that starts the arp behavior cycle over (if its up, down, as played, etc.) , but also sends the arp playhead back to the beginning. I mean the former when I say "reset position". I mean you reset the cycling behavior so that it starts over again, while the arp playhead continues advancing...]

This function would work whether an arp were set to move Up, Down, or AS PLAYED (where the arp presumably buckets the notes and then keeps them in the order you play them rather than placing them in low-hi sequence).

I suggested to some guys at Spectrasonics to please do this on their arp page, by putting in the option to add one or more reset positions (allowing multiple resets would be cool; or at least if there were one reset only, they could add a position slider that you could move using a MIDI controller - but it would be limited in comparison to multiple reset points); and a reset function activation switch so you could turn this on & off.

For example, this way, with the reset function On and the position set to the 1st beat, if you then want to play a 4/4 pattern that is divisible by 2, you can hold a 3 note chord (that is set in the arp to play 8th or 16th notes) and have it reset to the bottom note where you tell it to, such as the beginning of each bar. Furthermore you can switch between 3 and 4 note chords and stay in sync for the period you set. At present, which is true of most arps that play whatever chord notes are being held, if you have them set to play 8th or 16th notes, then 3 note chords (the most common chords in music) go out of sync. Fine if that's what you want...

When I saw that the arp page was being updated I was happy. But even if I can record arps, and tell it to play specific chords, if I still can't sync the arps to beats it seems like allowing a user to capture that random magic, whereas you're sort of forcing the random 'out of sync' behavior by not allowing a reset.
Last edited by moonchunk on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

So about that update

Only 13 business days left in March. I don’t think they’d release it on a weekend. :wink:

Waiting again one more time :D

I just went and watched some videos again showing the new arp features and I have to say the design looks kinda shit. There is a sub menu for each kind of step, with the note offsets under those menus. This is not a good way to go. For example if you have a step that is +5 semi-tones and you want to have it glide, you should just have a glide button, not have to go into the menu under the slide menu and select +5 there. The transpose should be it's own entry, where you can drag up or down to change the note offset. Doesn't seem like that's possible, unless I'm missing something.

This seems like a crappy design, and rather surprising.

I dont think their GUI choices are ideal. I still find myself using Serum for almost everything.

They need to add the arp as a modulation source to control all other parameters aside from just pitch. Otherwise it lags behind Serum, Pigments, and even Zone. All of which allow a much more robust modulation capability.

Frankly, I find it extremely annoying that their hardware profiles lack the ability to get access directly to specific parameters without the hardware hooked up. I use a few Max4live editors that do the trick, but I would rather stay in the box.

They need to update Omnisphere so you get direct access to each hardware profiles parameters, the arp needs to be a modulation source, and they definitely reduce the menu diving on that arp

I hate drop-down menus for selecting values that otherwise could be double-clicked and typed in or clicked/dragged/up/down for quick changes.

Oh yeah... and so the bitching and moaning begins - even before it's released and anyone has worked with it. It's soooo predictable, tiring and boooooring...
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

Return to “Instruments”