Sylenth1 in 2019

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sylenth1

I have nothing against EDM. I did an entire Trance CD. I just didn't like the sound engine itself. It did nothing for me that I couldn't do with any number of the other 100 synths I have. There was just nothing there worth spending $157 for.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:54 pm I have nothing against EDM.
Me neither. But, around here, EDM seems to equal to shit. :hihi:

Yah if you wanted two super awesome synthesizers to cover MOST of the modern synth sounds out there really you would just need Dune3 and Hive.

Those combined really give you all you would need. I suppose if you wanted the super sharp dubstep sound you would throw in Serum but I couldn't think of needing anything else.
:borg:

It's still a good synth, but depending on what genre ofcourse. For electronic music it's pretty much a must-have. So many sounds available for it and so many hits made with it.
Strictly speaking it's not the best sounding of all modern softsynts, but it's very easy to place in the mix for some reason.
If you're looking for an alternative with more bells and whistles, check out Spire.
More BPM please

For me, I just bought it last year with monthly payment, Sylenth still shines in certain areas...

It´s simplicity to use, one of the most CPU efficient plugins out there, a really ton of presets out there, stable as a plugin can be and most important... it always sounds good...

Of course there are many pugins out there offering more features, are cheaper etc...

But most of them got their flaws for me.. e.g. it take me ten times more work to get more or less the same result out of Synthmaster... it just doesn´t sound right out of the box... Hive takes a lot more of CPU, Serum is complete different beast and a CPU hog as is Diva...
That´s for me the magic of Sylenth... no matter, what you do, it just sounds good...at least for EDM/Trance etc...

Exactly. It always has been difficult for me to make some soft synths sound right too, without adding much top or bottom end with EQ'ing. Some soft synths just sound plain wrong out of the box, while others are just spot on.

rob_lee wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:09 pm
canaden wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm I know serum can do everything Sylenth1 can do and more but I still cant stop myself from wanting to make the purchase anyway.
I'd recommend Sylenth1 to you it's a fantastic sounding synth and one of the very few (5) I still have and wouldn't part with.
Had it from the beginning, not many mod slots but you want it to produce right? Then buy it.

Goodluck

Rob
I agree with Rob. There are newer synths that try to do a few more types of synthesis, and some others that even try to do everything. IMO you don't need all of those extra features all the time... and sometimes they can get in the way of creativity as you might get lost in all those extra controls/modules, etc.

For instance Avenger is great, but I also like Sylenth1.

Examigan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:41 pm
rob_lee wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:09 pm
canaden wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm I know serum can do everything Sylenth1 can do and more but I still cant stop myself from wanting to make the purchase anyway.
I'd recommend Sylenth1 to you it's a fantastic sounding synth and one of the very few (5) I still have and wouldn't part with.
Had it from the beginning, not many mod slots but you want it to produce right? Then buy it.

Goodluck

Rob
I agree with Rob. There are newer synths that try to do a few more types of synthesis, and some others that even try to do everything. IMO you don't need all of those extra features all the time... and sometimes they can get in the way of creativity as you might get lost in all those extra controls/modules, etc.

For instance Avenger is great, but I also like Sylenth1.
Iv'e never tried Avenger Rob but another great sounding older synth is the Waldorf Largo. I'd say Sylenth1 and Largo are up there for sound and ease of use. I try to keep soft synths at a minimum. It's overkill for me to have more than 8-10.

rob_lee wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:17 amIv'e never tried Avenger Rob but another great sounding older synth is the Waldorf Largo. I'd say Sylenth1 and Largo are up there for sound and ease of use. I try to keep soft synths at a minimum. It's overkill for me to have more than 8-10.
Waldorf's Largo is the near-perfect software equivalent of their Blofeld hardware synth - it doesn't have the wt/sample import capabilities of the Blofeld; but I've read plenty of opinions going back-and-forth of which one sounds better - I personally think that they are both superb; and would argue that either way you go (hardware or software) you're getting one of the most refined wavetable synths available - regardless of how uber-powerful their Quantum synth is.

dionenoid wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:14 pm If you're looking for an alternative with more bells and whistles, check out Spire.
I'm amazed it took until page 4 for Spire to get mentioned. It's one of my absolute favorites; it sounds absolutely phenomenal and is very powerful as well. I feel about Spire the way a lot of people in this thread feel about Sylenth. It just has a sound that I can't get enough of.

:D 8)

canaden wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm My main synths include Serum and Diva, aswell as the ableton native synths. I know serum can do everything Sylenth1 can do and more but I still cant stop myself from wanting to make the purchase anyway. The things I like about it are the way it sounds, the cpu usage, and the filters. Anyone have any input to help talk me in or out of purchasing it?
Sure. Sylenth 1 is rubbish. I don't think it sounds all that good, although it was good for it's time when it was released. It is also poorly engineered, in that the maximum values in the mod matrix aren't always sufficient to do the job, which means you sometimes need to double up on them. e.g. If you try and use an envelope to open and close the filter via the mod matrix, using a single slot will not get you from completely open to completely closed. Even if the cutoff is only set to 75%, the matrix still won't be able to get it to zero with a single matrix slot. Honestly, it's really not worth what they are asking for it. If it was the same price as something like DiscoDSP Discovery, around $70, it would be much easier to justify but for what they are asking for it you can do much better.

If you want my advice, I'd take any of Thorn, Hive or DUNE (in that order) ahead of Sylenth 1.
Spencer Maddox wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:05 pmWhat I mean is just because Dune 3 Does Wavetables, and Synthmaster does...Like...Everything :hihi: dosen't necessarily make sylenth not worth the Money.
No, it what makes Sylenth 1 not worth the money is the fact that it doesn't sound as good, either.
The Sound is still one of the Best in the market in My Opinion
Which makes your opinion worthless, I'm afraid.
the Workflow is top notch
Compared to what? The workflow is awful compared to Hive, for example, or Thorn.
the Preset libraries you GET with the program and also can Buy online are limitless.
If the workflow is so good, why would you need any of that?
pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:11 pmIf you like it get it... with Serum and Diva it is good to have a less CPU consuming synth on hand.
If that's your reasoning, DUNE makes a much better case for an extra $20 and Hive makes more sense, too.
chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 pmSylenth1 has a lot of punch, and can be very aggressive sounding. It also has great filter drive, which really makes the sound fat. Dune has a more soft vibe to it, which of course also can be very pleasant, if you're into that.
Are you kidding me? Is this more garbage you read somewhere? It can't possibly be a conclusion anyone would reach after using both. Sylenth 1 doesn't sound punchy or aggressive at all but DUNE sure as hell can, as you will hear when our new album is out.
yellowmix wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:01 pmwhat would Sylenth2 even be like?
Just off the top of my head - better layout/decent workflow, more appropriate mod matrix values and a better filter would be a good start.
If people can't see that then I question if they've demoed it. It's one of those synths that are more than the sum of its parts.
I actually found it to be considerably less than the sum of it's parts. I've demo'd it three times now and still haven't found even a passing reason to consider it. Even if it was half the price, I doubt I'd see any value in it.
Dasheesh wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:12 pm is a moog still a good instrument? is a korg MS? a sequential C? a yamaha CS series?
No, none of them are, except maybe the Yamaha CS1x. They had their time but it was long, long ago and these days they are mostly collector's items, curiosities, not serious tools for getting things done.
yellowmix wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:38 pmYou don't make EDM stuff, right? The Factory presets are all geared toward that so I can understand an aversion to it. Check out Joseph Hollo's Silenth Goldmine. Think you can make something on that level?
These patches ar even less appealing. Bog-standard stuff. Competent enough and well showcased but nothing that impresses at all.
chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:43 pm See that's why i like such soundsets. They show that such synths are well capable for any kind of genre, and not just the EDM genres they're usually connected with.
But if you've ever used a synthesiser, you'd know that anyway, wouldn't you? Seriously, when I read comments like that it makes me wonder if I'm living in a parallel universe or something.
Trancit wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22 pmThat´s for me the magic of Sylenth... no matter, what you do, it just sounds good...at least for EDM/Trance etc...
Really? You and I must have very different ideas of "sounds good" because I found it very difficult to get more than a very specific type of sound out of it. To me it is very much a one trick pony.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

^ couldn't get a better recommendation for Sylenth and a better condemnation for CS1x than that! (I own both)

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:23 am
The Sound is still one of the Best in the market in My Opinion
Which makes your opinion worthless, I'm afraid.
Why do you think anyone is going to place any worth on your opinions when they're delivered in such a needlessly arrogant and aggressive manner?

canaden wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm My main synths include Serum and Diva, aswell as the ableton native synths. I know serum can do everything Sylenth1 can do and more but I still cant stop myself from wanting to make the purchase anyway. The things I like about it are the way it sounds, the cpu usage, and the filters. Anyone have any input to help talk me in or out of purchasing it?
If you like the sound get it. As a matter of fact not everything Serum and Diva can do what Sylenth1 can, simply because of the sound. Sylenth1 has some kind of "weird" quality when it comes to Chorus, Distortion, Detuning, Envelopes and LFO rates. Even when trying to translate some sounds to Hive, Sylenth1 just sounds different, a bit more precise, tight and agressive. Ofcourse in the end its all about the sound. Try to recreate some sounds from Serum and Diva that you mostly use in your music but just in Sylenth1 and see if it compliments or not and if its something you are looking for. At least this is how i usualy test the synth.

Im personaly not a big fan of sylenth1 sound, but due to mentioned qualities i sometimes do use this synth in certain cases.

Return to “Instruments”