Hive as a Vector Synthesizer

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hive as a vector synthesizer

I have found that Hive is a lot of fun to use as a vector synthesizer. (Here is a photo of a Prophet VS - have I owned one? - sadly, no)

Prophet VS.jpg
and here is the wikipedia link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_synthesis

Using Hive as a Vector Synthesizer

1. Initialize Hive
2. Select Wavetable from the OSC1 menu
3. Go to the WT1 section of the hexagon
4. Load a wavetable with exactly 4 frames

There are four 4 frame wavetables already installed with Hive.
In the Additive folder, Four Major 3rds.wav
In the Additive folder, Sine Ort to Fizz.wav
In the Complex folder, Harpsis.wav
In the Formants folder, Talkbox.wav

5. Set the Tables to 2 from the default of 1.

Wave Vector Synth.jpg

6. Go to the XY section of the hexagon
7. Select Wavetable Position for X1
8. Select Control A Offset for Y1
9. In the modulation matrix,
Select Control A for the source
Select Osc1: Multi Position for the destination
Set depth to 100.

XY Vector Synth.jpg

You can now drag the number 1 control around the top right quadrant of the XY pad to simulate vector synthesis!

Important- Because the XY pad is bipolar, you should not use the other three quadrants of the XY pad.

You should check out the four different Interpolators for the wavetable (switch, crossfade, spectral, and zero phase to see which works the best for your wavetable.

Instead of the XY pads, you can also modulate the wavetable position and wavetable multi position however you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can also do the same steps for OSC2 if you want dual vectoral synthesis.

XY Dual Vecot Synth.jpg

Making 4 frame wavetables

There are many ways of making 4 frame wavetables and all are fun and not too difficult.

1. Hive: Write a uhm script
2. Zebra: Export a wave from OSC1 - set number of frames to 4.
Note - you can use the wave selector to manually select any of the four frames you want to export
3. Serum: Export 4 frames - you can use an existing wavetable, draw your own, import audio, etc
4. WaveEdit: Export all 64 of the frames as separate wave files and then use Serum or an audio editor like Audacity to combine four of them.

Suggestions for U-he

1. Please add multiposition to the possible XY destinations, like wavetable position is already. That would eliminate the need to use a modulation matrix slot (or 2 slots if you want to control both OSCs)
2 Please make general purpose mseg and/or specific modulation controllers for the wavetable position and multiposition
3 Please have a unipolar mode for the XY pad where 0, 0 is the the lower left corner
4 My biggest request - a specific osc type for vectoral synthesis. The screen would be similar to the one for wavetable, but the biggest change would be 4 wavetable load slots. These slots would read the first frame from the chosen wav or uhm to make a total of a 4 frame wavetable. This would make trying new combinations of waveframes much easier. It would also make it useful to have a library of single frame wav or uhm files.
There would be no need for the tables selector, since it would always be 2.
There could also be an auto mode and auto rate for the multipostion as well as the wavetable position.

Quad Vector Synth.jpg

I am sorry, I know that Hive 2 is almost complete and I am not a beta tester, but I thought these might be fun ideas for the future

I hope that you enjoyed reading this, and let me know if you have any questions, if I have made any mistakes, or you have any other ideas!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kenkv on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cool! Thank you for sharing and it looks like big fun. I’m going to play around with this.

It may sound a bit like an advertisement, but my custom skin for Hive can do that kinda stuff quite easily, and also fulfill your request #3.

This custom skin has additional XY pads in OSC1 & OSC2, whose parameters are always assigned to WTpos(X) and Multipos(Y). These XY pads command target params directly, so they're unipolar in this case.

(U-he's GUI script can add as many XY pads as you like, although the XY assignments must be written in the script and cannot be changed from the GUI side.)

Here's a quick video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwWiiLSC4oY

Not only 4 frames arranged in 2x2, but also 8 frames in 4x2 or 2x4 are awesome! (as shown in the video).
I think my skin will bring you a comfortable synthesis life :wink:
ImageMONA, the new skin for DIVA is released! | Follow me on Twitter.

clangorous wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:57 pm Cool! Thank you for sharing and it looks like big fun. I’m going to play around with this.
Thank you very much, clangorous, I hope you have a great time!

plugmon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:58 am It may sound a bit like an advertisement, but my custom skin for Hive can do that kinda stuff quite easily, and also fulfill your request #3.

I think my skin will bring you a comfortable synthesis life :wink:
Thank you very much Plugmon for your reply and making the video, that demonstrated your point very well. After I watched that I bought and installed all of your products and I am very impressed. The graphics are beautiful and I like the new way of looking at things, for example, seeing Massive-style modulation. I also am impressed by your sound design.

In particular, your Hive XY pad did work great!

One thing that I noticed was that (in all skins, not just yours) the interpolation mode only worked for wavetable positions, not multi position (which appears to always use crossfade), unlike what I read in the manual.

And finally, I was happy to see in your other post from yesterday that you are working on the Hive 2 skin.

Again, thank you very much.

kenkv wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:17 pmOne thing that I noticed was that (in all skins, not just yours) the interpolation mode only worked for wavetable positions, not multi position (which appears to always use crossfade), unlike what I read in the manual.
Quoting the manual:
"Interpolator
A choice of 4 different algorithms for interpolating between frames. This option only applies to the main Position parameter – the interpolation through Multi Position is always a crossfade."

Howard wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 pm
Quoting the manual:
"Interpolator
A choice of 4 different algorithms for interpolating between frames. This option only applies to the main Position parameter – the interpolation through Multi Position is always a crossfade."
Thank you very much for correcting my mistake, Howard. I had misread the manual. :dog:

Return to “u-he”