SynthMaster, is it worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
exponent1
KVRist
153 posts since 10 Nov, 2018

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:30 am

exmatproton wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:16 am
First point; it is free now. What is probably the best value synth out there? my answer; Surge.
Moot point. If Synthmaster ONE were to go Open Source and free now, would we still hold it above Surge? Yes we would. The UI is a lot more intuitive and easy to use than Surge. Workflow is really fast.
Second point; the whole thread talks about it if it is one of the best valued synths out there. To me, and i can ventilate that here, it is not. Not by a long shot. It is, again, in my case, very buggy. An alternative is Surge.
Firstly, SM ONE as well as SM 2.9 are rock stable for me on Reaper as well as a friend who is an FL user with weaker specs than you. So I don't know what the issue might be at your end. Maybe you're an outlier?

Secondly, the thread is titled, "Synthmaster, is it worth it?" The answer is "Yes, it is". No one asked for alternatives. In fact, the OP eve bought and liked it. Don't know what's your point still. :hihi:

Don't misunderstand me. I really like Surge, I'm using it for the One Synth Challenge and I'm thoroughly enjoying it and its power. But there is no real comparison. You're an outlier. Maybe Surge has more value to you than SM One. That's fine :) Not for the rest of us. :hug:

User avatar
exponent1
KVRist
153 posts since 10 Nov, 2018

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:31 am

NeoKortex88 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am
wagtunes wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:04 am
Synthmaster 2.9 is one of those synths that I use almost all the time. It is one of the first soft synths I ever got that I had to pay for. It can do just about anything. The UI can be a little daunting at first but eventually, you'll get used to it.

I haven't read through the whole thread but I can't imagine one person saying it's a bad value.
why didnt you have to pay for all the other gazillon synths that you have?
He might have gotten SM as his 1st paid synth? What if he was using free synths like a lot of us? :roll: As a matter of fact, the SM bundle was my 1st commercial synth. I have won a few commercial synths in competitions but have only bought 2 synths so far - SM 2.9 and SM One. Before that I've been using awesome free synths like Modulair, Synth1, TAL Noisemaker, OBXD etc. Peace :tu:

User avatar
exmatproton
KVRAF
2184 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:43 am

exponent1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:30 am
exmatproton wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:16 am
First point; it is free now. What is probably the best value synth out there? my answer; Surge.
Moot point. If Synthmaster ONE were to go Open Source and free now, would we still hold it above Surge? Yes we would. The UI is a lot more intuitive and easy to use than Surge. Workflow is really fast.
Second point; the whole thread talks about it if it is one of the best valued synths out there. To me, and i can ventilate that here, it is not. Not by a long shot. It is, again, in my case, very buggy. An alternative is Surge.
Firstly, SM ONE as well as SM 2.9 are rock stable for me on Reaper as well as a friend who is an FL user with weaker specs than you. So I don't know what the issue might be at your end. Maybe you're an outlier?

Secondly, the thread is titled, "Synthmaster, is it worth it?" The answer is "Yes, it is". No one asked for alternatives. In fact, the OP eve bought and liked it. Don't know what's your point still. :hihi:

Don't misunderstand me. I really like Surge, I'm using it for the One Synth Challenge and I'm thoroughly enjoying it and its power. But there is no real comparison. You're an outlier. Maybe Surge has more value to you than SM One. That's fine :) Not for the rest of us. :hug:
I would, if sm(one) would be free, still use surge over sm(one).
But my point is; is it worth it? no. And i explained why it isn't (in my case).
I think we can move on now...

kv331
KVRAF
5686 posts since 14 Nov, 2006 from Ankara, Turkey

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:54 am

exmatproton wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:43 am
But my point is; is it worth it? no. And i explained why it isn't (in my case).
I think we can move on now...
Well then have fun with Surge, case closed :lol:
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted "Best VST/AU Synth of 2016" by MusicRadar readers
SynthMaster One voted "Best New Virtual Instrument of 2017" by MusicRadar readers

User avatar
toonertik
KVRian
1216 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:58 am

exmatproton wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:54 am
For me, it is the buggiest synth at the moment (and i have a lot of synths). Even the nightly of Surge is more stable. It slows FLS down to the point it runs at 15 fps for some strange reason when the gui is open. Also, at that point, it won't register all midi inputs anymore. Same with SM1.

So no, it isn't worth it (for me). I never use SM (one)
Intereting..
I ran SM_2 on a very old Dell 5100 with a replaced Pentium4 Dual core (On booting the Dell would go "NOOOOO... unrecognized CPU {it was designed for just Pentium_HTs but ;) } )and could run several instances .. no problem.

Is it value for money... for me it was and was the first synth I bought in 2012 (others had been included in DAW or Computer Musician's synths). Bought for a few reasons
1: modulation is superb (bar the MSEG, but Bulent is aware of some issues)
2: Import of user's creates single_cycle_wavs
3: Sound...
Simple decision )))))
and I could do things like this and as I am a very lazy man, all I had to do was hit one key and play this interpenetration of African Soweta music I used to dance to in my local bars in Kenya >> ;)
https://soundcloud.com/toonertik/synthm ... r-funkriff

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15565 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:05 pm

NeoKortex88 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am
wagtunes wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:04 am
Synthmaster 2.9 is one of those synths that I use almost all the time. It is one of the first soft synths I ever got that I had to pay for. It can do just about anything. The UI can be a little daunting at first but eventually, you'll get used to it.

I haven't read through the whole thread but I can't imagine one person saying it's a bad value.
why didnt you have to pay for all the other gazillon synths that you have?
Of course I did. What does that have to do with anything?

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15565 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 pm

exponent1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:31 am
NeoKortex88 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am
wagtunes wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:04 am
Synthmaster 2.9 is one of those synths that I use almost all the time. It is one of the first soft synths I ever got that I had to pay for. It can do just about anything. The UI can be a little daunting at first but eventually, you'll get used to it.

I haven't read through the whole thread but I can't imagine one person saying it's a bad value.
why didnt you have to pay for all the other gazillon synths that you have?
He might have gotten SM as his 1st paid synth? What if he was using free synths like a lot of us? :roll: As a matter of fact, the SM bundle was my 1st commercial synth. I have won a few commercial synths in competitions but have only bought 2 synths so far - SM 2.9 and SM One. Before that I've been using awesome free synths like Modulair, Synth1, TAL Noisemaker, OBXD etc. Peace :tu:
Thank you. The idiocy in this forum sometimes drives me crazy. The things people assume from absolutely nothing.

User avatar
exponent1
KVRist
153 posts since 10 Nov, 2018

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:08 pm

kv331 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:52 am
Once I finish my work on SynthMaster One iOS updates including SynthMaster One for iPhone and crossplatform cloud sync support, I'm moving 100% to SM3 development. Estimate for a beta: 4-5 months.

BTW, we have SM 2.9 coming up for iOS at the end of 2019.
Bulent, do you see more business sense in SM for iOS? Is that market less saturated and more accessible that you've shifted your focus there? I'm just curious as to why SM 3 went on a back-burner. I think SM has the potential to be THE best soft synth with just some UI optimizations. A common complaint is that the UI is overwhelming and not as intuitive/fast to produce desired results. I personally find it quite good for my workflow but a lot of my friends find other synths easier to use and having a faster workflow (case in point Serum).

I know you have your reasons to focus on SM One as wel as SM 2.9 for iOS, but I can't wait for the SM3. :hyper:

NeoKortex88
KVRist
126 posts since 3 Dec, 2018

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:19 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 pm
exponent1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:31 am
NeoKortex88 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am
wagtunes wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:04 am
Synthmaster 2.9 is one of those synths that I use almost all the time. It is one of the first soft synths I ever got that I had to pay for. It can do just about anything. The UI can be a little daunting at first but eventually, you'll get used to it.

I haven't read through the whole thread but I can't imagine one person saying it's a bad value.
why didnt you have to pay for all the other gazillon synths that you have?
He might have gotten SM as his 1st paid synth? What if he was using free synths like a lot of us? :roll: As a matter of fact, the SM bundle was my 1st commercial synth. I have won a few commercial synths in competitions but have only bought 2 synths so far - SM 2.9 and SM One. Before that I've been using awesome free synths like Modulair, Synth1, TAL Noisemaker, OBXD etc. Peace :tu:
Thank you. The idiocy in this forum sometimes drives me crazy. The things people assume from absolutely nothing.
sorry, english is not my native language. Maybe i understood the bolt part wrong. And since i just started making music i had no idea Synthmaster was out in 2012 already :)

krraqk
KVRist
390 posts since 18 Nov, 2002

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 pm

BERFAB wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:57 am
Synthmaster is great. Excellent value.
The biz model is a bit different: the basic synth is priced very cheap. The packages you can buy are priced so that you're essentially paying for presets. Buy as many or as few as you need.

The sound is excellent and very tweakable. In my set up, Synthmaster is my go-to Hammond B-3. And I own a bunch of actual Hammond B-3 emulation vsts.
I own the everything bundle, where I can find that good B3 preset ?

kv331
KVRAF
5686 posts since 14 Nov, 2006 from Ankara, Turkey

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm

krraqk wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 pm
I own the everything bundle, where I can find that good B3 preset ?
Art Rock Basics bank :wink:
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted "Best VST/AU Synth of 2016" by MusicRadar readers
SynthMaster One voted "Best New Virtual Instrument of 2017" by MusicRadar readers

krraqk
KVRist
390 posts since 18 Nov, 2002

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:14 pm

kv331 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm
krraqk wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 pm
I own the everything bundle, where I can find that good B3 preset ?
Art Rock Basics bank :wink:
Thank you, got it :D
SM is a very capable synth, only thing I missed to be my first sound generator choice is the lack of some multi sampled sounds in order to have that real flavour in the sound (I love the Roland LA synthesis or the Spectrasonics focussing) or to be able to walk in the hardware workstation field with the common bread and butter sounds.
Obviously no one can expect to have a Kontakt competition here but that adition can expand greatly the sound field, at least to me.
What kind of approach can expect in this area ?(I read that you plan to add multi sampled sounds to ver 3).

Hanz Meyzer
KVRian
1091 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:01 am

Synthmaster 2 and Synthmaster One are both a best buy, with a fair pricing, very good synthesis features, workstation like fx section and a lot of good presets. I can recommend it. Only I would check which GUI is more suitable for you, SM One is very streamlined, SM 2 may be a bit cluttered regarding GUI for some people, like lot of quite important OSC features are hidden in tiny controls in tabs. This is where SM One jumps in.

zzz00m
KVRAF
1829 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:12 am

exmatproton wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:16 am

First point; it is free now. What is probably the best value synth out there? my answer; Surge.
Second point; the whole thread talks about it if it is one of the best valued synths out there. To me, and i can ventilate that here, it is not. Not by a long shot. It is, again, in my case, very buggy. An alternative is Surge.
First: not really relevant to be comparing a commercial synth vs. freeware as a basis of value. With that logic, freeware would always win. So why buy anything?

Second: Even Surge is buggy in certain hosts. None of the current devs are even "Windows first" as far as development platforms are concerned. So that leaves some big gaps for testing and QA.

Surge is a cool synth and I like it, and it does some things very well! But why compare it with something like SynthMaster? Its a different animal.
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

Freemrshkreli
KVRer
8 posts since 17 Apr, 2019

Re: SynthMaster, is it worth it?

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:46 pm

I really hate to be that guy, but if you're looking for an all-in-one synth, I'd go with Xfer's Serum.
Aside from the fact that it looks gorgeous, has an extremely intuitive interface, and sounds flawless;
there's also a 9.99/Mo Rent-To-Own plan on Splice. Cancel anytime and keep your progress ;)

Return to “Instruments”