Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

perfumer wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:49 am Please post example of 32 oscillators FMing each other and producing a sound that can be called 'musical'. (Not buried in fx or extreme filtering though.)

Thanks!
Can't do 32 oscillators since there are 30 max generators, and you need at least 1 output generator so in theory 29 FMing. However, you need to use groups to sequester the modulators depending on what kind of algorithm/routing you are using.

So I made a patch like DX7 algorithm 1 except four across and up to 8 deep, creating a rich pianoid. Here's a render of it playing: https://soundcloud.com/yellowmix/phase- ... or/s-NVIg5

And if you want the patch to fry your CPU, have at it: https://www36.zippyshare.com/v/xiOJ4Pie/file.html

Also, no FX or filtering at all. Just the generators, like pure FM is supposed to be.

What's with all the rules? I didn't think making music had rules.

Oh well, whatever. Gotta love this place. LOL.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:47 am What's with all the rules? I didn't think making music had rules.

Oh well, whatever. Gotta love this place. LOL.
Strictly 32 operator FM or GTFO, naturally :D
Always Read the Manual!

I spoke with them through the FB, asking for a "rent-to-own" option. They said they currently don't have that option, but they are studying the possibility of a reward program fro subscribers similar to the Roland Cloud. If they implement something that allows me to get Phase Plant after a while, I may jump in. Anyway, I told them that a "rent-to-own" solution could be a good one.
Fernando (FMR)

rent-boi
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

:o
:lol:

yellowmix wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:01 am
Regarding the FX, I agree they should be available unfettered within Phase Plant; it doesn't feel right for any virtual synth to be crippled this way (and I say that as a The Works owner). However, the price would need to be adjusted upward. They are more plentiful and powerful FX than in any other synth in this tier besides MSoundFactory. But I don't think all the FX modules are necessary, so perhaps it is better to have it at this pricepoint and get whatever you think is necessary a la cart. Synths didn't always have so many FX built-in, and the ones it comes with are very useful. Do you need a tape stop in a synth (to be fair I just made a kick drum patch with it but it's a novelty)?
This is the sticking point for me. I don't want to buy a synth and have this nagging feeling of "I'd be having a better experience with this if I bought the $350 version," but I also don't want to pay $350 just for a suite of effects in a synth that I will probably only use on that synth. I'm sure the snapins are good but I have Live Suite which is basically the same thing - nice little one-trick effect plugins with small pragmatic interfaces and which fit into a modular architecture.

Vengeance threw a good portion of their VST effects suite into Avenger. I don't see the big deal. Make it so it costs extra to use them in your DAW but not the synth.

yellowmix wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:31 am Also, no FX or filtering at all. Just the generators, like pure FM is supposed to be.
While standing on one foot, eating a banana, and juggling three cats.

Disclaimer: Everything below is only my opinion and I am probably wrong.

I've got to say, I am really impressed with the over-all UX of Phase Plant. For such a complex synth it's very easy to work with. I think there are aspects of it that should be considered best practices (I'm a UX designer by trade, 25 years). If Falcon and MSoundFactory could adopt some of the patterns in phase plant... wow.

I was expecting it to sound "hard" and "edgy". Not have that sophisticated deep sound of other synths that I prefer. I prefer that deep complex character out of synths. But, it does have a very sophisticated and deep sound. Unlike Falcon, it doesn't have as much a "layered" sound - the layers of sources sound more homogenous. That I find interesting and unique!

I agree with the discontent about the price and the idea of the snapins and their cost. It's expensive. However it is in the same ball-park price-wise as MSF ($340) and Falcon ($350) and is definitely in the ball-park with them functionally and sonically. And with the slick UX I'd argue it's in a new, better class of synth (that UX design!)

One way to look at it is, you get all those effects AND you can use them in your DAW and with SnapHeap. The other products don't include that! So right there Phase Plant has more value.

If you are on the fence and you have GAS and limited funds, I'd recommend you DO NOT try the demo.

As far as I can tell $350 is the regular price. So just wait for a sale. Kilohearts usually have good sales. But like all plugins if you want a better price you have to wait. Take the foot off the GAS. Or cough it up! :party: :phones:

Yeah, it's a cool synth. I'd be perfectly happy to buy into Toolbox Professional at half price (or the equivalent Phase Plant upgrade if they fix the price so it's not more than Toolbox Professional). Fingers crossed that they do such a sale sometime in the not-to-distant future. Until then the base synth paired with my collection of standalone effects is still pretty fun.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

However, I am having an issue.... its always playing about 1.5 semitones too low! Even on a new instantiation in a new project after re-starting the DAW. I was looking for a mastering tuning reference but I dont see one. any idea what might be wrong and how to fix it? Im using the AU in Logic 10.4 :tu:

What if I don't want Phase Plant? As an owner of everything except PP and 2 snapins I have 2 options. (a) Buy PP and the 2 snapins to upgrade my Everything Is Awesome bundle @ $142, (b) buy the 2 snapins (which is all I want) at no discount @ $58. :clap:
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:15 am What if I don't want Phase Plant? As an owner of everything except PP and 2 snapins I have 2 options. (a) Buy PP and the 2 snapins to upgrade my Everything Is Awesome bundle @ $142, (b) buy the 2 snapins (which is all I want) at no discount @ $58. :clap:
Right. So, wait for a sale. I think what is disappointing is the PP release with no intro sale, which is fairly common otherwise. But there are sales often so keep an eye out! :party: :phones:

I'm trying to do the math on this in order to figure out just what it is you're paying for based on what package you choose and what products you already have.

The problem is, I got the EDM package on sale and I don't even see an option for buying the EDM package any longer. At least I can't find it.

Additionally, each package contains a certain number of snapins. I have no idea how to calculate the cost per snapin built into the price of PP itself. If I could do that, I could determine the actual amount of money saved.

For example, let's take the cheapest package which is PP along with Toolbox free. It's $169 and there is no discount at all for people who have the EDM package. But aside from that, if this comes with the free snapins then I guess it's safe to assume that the base cost of PP is $169.

However, if you then go to the next option up, which is the Toolbox Starter, it's value is at $304. That suggests that, if you subtract the $169 for PP, the 5 snapins they give you cost $135 or $27 per snapin. However, the EDM package I got cost me just $100 which comes out to about $5 per snapin. So going by that, the 5 additional snapins should cost $25 more, bringing the cost of PP to $194. They're charging $199. Close enough. The discount for me makes this cost $118.

Except when you look at it, I've spent $100 with them already. Add that to the $118 that I would spend for this package and it comes out to $218, which is $19 over the full price.

Now, here's my question. And this is what I'm not sure about.

Do I have access to full functionality of all the snapins that I've already bought inside of PP if I buy the Toolbox Starter package OR do I only have access to full functionality of the snapins that comes with the Toolbox Starter package?

If it's the latter, then this package is absolutely not worth getting. In fact, I find it ludicrous that I can own almost all their snapins and still only be able to use the 5 that comes with Toolbox Starter fully functional and not the rest that I own.

is anybody following this? Because it's really a good question. Regardless of whatever one might have bought beforehand, will they be able to use all those snapins inside PP even if all they bought was the basic PP plugin?

Does anybody here know for certain?

Return to “Instruments”