Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kevvvvv wrote:Sweetwater have a sale $149 USD

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

Pretty reasonable.

My suspicion is that they'll soon be a keyboard to follow.

Presonus's big problem is that Studio One doesn't support Native Instruments new S-range keyboards or controllers.

Their specs clash.

So Atom looks like Presonus's attempt to out maneuver NI by introducing their own controller.

If this is the Big Plan, and Atom sells in enough quantity, then it makes sense to follow up with a keyboard range.
Strangely..Presonus did have a keyboard years ago.. but it was a pretty low budget and basic affair.. If Presonus are going to make anything keyboard wise, in the future... it is going to need to up it's game in providing at least semi-weighted keys and a solid construction to compete with NI in this area. If they do a keyboard controller, I think some sort of display is gonna be a must though... Every keyboard in the past 20 years I've ever bought has had one...cause well I like displays :D
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:What do you think... given the market of drum / controllers... already out there...
My first impression was like, "God, do we need another drum pad controller?" I will admit it's cute, but $149? And I'm not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, and on top of that, I love Presonus with all my heart, but I don't really think I would pay $149.00 for that in the year 2018. 2009? Maybe.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Seriously, $149 is cheap. The only thing that I think is going to keep me from getting it is that it can't function wirelessly.

patchhunter wrote:Seriously, $149 is cheap. The only thing that I think is going to keep me from getting it is that it can't function wirelessly.
Almost everyone already owns a midi keyboard controller that comes with 8 drum pads, which are priced around the $149-$200 range. If you have a bad habit of buying things you really don't need just to satisfy your G.A.S., then it really doesn't matter how much it costs. Seems like a waste of desk space that people are already limited by. I'm guessing a sale price of $129 by XMAS time.

Cheap intro to S1 4 as it comes with a lite version, 150 USD before discount….probably 120 street...ideal starting point for someone just getting in to it, but Maschine Micro 3 offers serious competition for $199 USD...(Presonus probably didn't know that at the time!)

I am a S1 4 user but if someone was a newbie with 'beats' (rather than keyboard) as a primary interest I would probably advise the Micro 3....

Also, who puts up, down, left, right in a column! could it bae that hard to put it in the normal Dimond shape or at last left/right on a row.....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:Cheap intro to S1 4 as it comes with a lite version, 150 USD before discount….probably 120 street...ideal starting point for someone just getting in to it, but Maschine Micro 3 offers serious competition for $199 USD...(Presonus probably didn't know that at the time!)

I am a S1 4 user but if someone was a newbie with 'beats' (rather than keyboard) as a primary interest I would probably advise the Micro 3....

Also, who puts up, down, left, right in a column! could it bae that hard to put it in the normal Dimond shape or at last left/right on a row.....
I would guess that most people interested in this device are probably S1 Pro owners looking for a companion for Impact XT.

SLiC wrote: Also, who puts up, down, left, right in a column! could it bae that hard to put it in the normal Dimond shape or at last left/right on a row.....
I thought the same thing, and was like are you kidding me? It's going to be a blast navigating that thing. I got my Alesis VX49 for $150 on sale, so there's no way this thing is worth $150. lol

Edited changed my opinion ..... Presonus Atom - $149 ......... Loops , Samples , midi pad controller , StudioOne4.1 Artist ...... Go to My Presonus Marketplace .... VST/AU/Rewire add-on $89 , MP3 export add-on $9 and you looking at $247 ...... Or just get the Professional upgrade for $150 that'll put you at $299 ...... I think they are competing mainly with Native Instruments Maschine line of controller/software , I might actually purchase this .
Last edited by fedexnman on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.

learnkeys wrote:
SLiC wrote:Cheap intro to S1 4 as it comes with a lite version, 150 USD before discount….probably 120 street...ideal starting point for someone just getting in to it, but Maschine Micro 3 offers serious competition for $199 USD...(Presonus probably didn't know that at the time!)

I would guess that most people interested in this device are probably S1 Pro owners looking for a companion for Impact XT.
Why would Pro users want a decidedly entry-level device?

Robert Randolph wrote:
learnkeys wrote:

Why would Pro users want a decidedly entry-level device?
I wasn't aware of any entry level midi controllers, just ones with different features or price points. Since there is only one version of this controller, it doesn't really fit that criteria. It appears to be a fully functional midi controller that would be useful to any level of expertise. Professionals have the skills to use any midi controller and they do, even cheap mini key varieties. Whatever gets the job done.

This would be more useful to people that are already familiar with Impact XT and find it an improvement to their work flow. Beginners haven't even learned S1's work flow to even know, especially at the $149 price point.

They would be better off spending their money on a midi keyboard controller with drum pads that comes with a strip down version of a DAW. And they can do it for $99 or less, which would be more likely to happen.

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if anyone that bought Atom could comment on the included "MVP Loops content custom-designed for ATOM" - is there much of it and what predominant genre(s)?

Also is anyone who bought it able to say what they think now some months on, eg do you still use it?

I'm tempted at current price of about £120, esp if I could sell the bundled Artist for a few dollars (I already have S1 Pro) to offset some of the outlay.

cheers.

It's an Impact XT controller and is great for this it's syncs up well. If you are looking to use this with EZdrummer2 you may feel disappointed , Presonus needs to add some sort software to create USER presets for the notes to be changed or configured to it's 16 pads . Basically you are stuck with the Factory preset banks . This is my hangup with this product.

Why would you get this over Maschine Mikro or even the reliable old Padkontrol.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

@fedexnman - thanks, hmm disappointing it cant do ezDrummer, I do use that plug.
v1o wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:16 pm Why would you get this over Maschine Mikro or even the reliable old Padkontrol.
I'm on a limited budget of about £100, £120 for atom is already a bit over, but the other two you mention are quite a bit higher again. If I decided atom wont cut it for me I'll most likely not get a pad controller at all at this time, rather then up my budget (which isnt really an option :( ).

Anyone comment on the bundled MVP loops? Quantity/quality/genres?

cheers

The MVP loops and Atom/ImpactXT kits are hip-hop/trap ( disclaimer I 'dont know what trap is )genre of stuff , Akai pad controllers come with free samples to now and so do NI maschine micro etc etc .

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”