Programming cymbal sounds, good synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

star-cym released today for free:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/star-cym-by-xoxos

(Note that bong has also been released for free today too.)

I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Peter has stated that the cymbals use 'advanced sampling techniques' which isn't really covered under the title of this thread.

The drums themselves apparently _are_ some kind of physical modelling engine though, which is almost enough for me to try a demo.

Which demo??
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

ImageLine Ogun.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

mladi wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:38 pmWhich demo??
Hmm. Good point.

Cymbals : Cypher2 and Msf.
Best
YY

I believe you can do that in STIX by XILS-lab :-)

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:55 pm I don't really buy into that modulation argument. When a real drummer plays the drums, the hi-hat also sounds pretty consistent. The liveliness comes from the way the drummer plays, his feeling and rhythm etc.

I know a lot of people go to the DAW's piano roll and enter hi-hat, crashes etc. with the mouse, in regular intervals. So naturally, they are all the same volume and timed perfectly. That is what creates the sterile machine sound.
However, when you use the same samples and enter the drums live via the keyboard, the result is very different. There will be slight timing and volume (and in the case of good samples hence also sound) fluctuations.
Oh man, I couldn't disagree more. The amount of pressure your foot puts on the hi-hat pedal, where you hit it with the stick, where on the stick you hit it with, how hard you push into the cymbal (the follow-through), the different velocities from the strike… they all affect the timbre of the sound. It's not just timing and volume, although those two factors do make up a significant portion.

A good physical model would certainly be preferable over any sample based solution. Samples cannot easily mimic the behavior of striking an already ringing cymbal on a pretty big surface where each spot would sound different, but not arbitrarily different. Round robins do not relate so much to the position of a strike, though you could try to select samples based on timing and position of a surface controller like a BopPad. But most expensive sample packs are aimed at big studios which work differently...

Return to “Instruments”