The "NEW" Plugin Alliance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:48 pm Dahmer v Wags Deathmatch!
Woah. :-o

Russell Grand wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:23 am
mgw38 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:17 pm What a subscription does is it makes you more aware of what you are actually using. I had a Kush subscription for a while but then noticed that I was only ever using one of their plugins. So I cancelled the subscription and bought that plugin. If a developer does not offer a subscription you are more likely to get into an collecting mode whenever there are sales.
That's an interesting point, mgw! :tu:
That is indeed an interesting point and I'm ashamed to admit it never crossed my mind. I've probably easily blown a non-discounted yearly PA subscription's worth of money on impulse purchases of digital junk, without even mentioning all the time wasted on manually installing all that stuff. That said, the prices on permanent licenses remain disproportionately high outside the sales.

Now that I've kind of warmed up to the idea of subscriptions, chances are high that I'll give it a whirl.

I am basically just interested in Unfiltered Audio. But their post release care of plugins seems... slow. I am waiting for their new modulators to make their way into old plugins for ages. Also I am starting to dislike whatever UI framework they use. Feels a bit slow. Feels not perfect rendering. Same feelings I have for Avenger. I always think twice to start the beast up. IDK.

Less interested in their often bullshit bingo loaded stuff. What prevents me from a dev using some openly available libraries, put some marketing bingo and fake knobs on top of it (I hate fake knobs) and selling it as a PA masterpiece for EUR 200? Nothing.

Subrciption models are not for me. There's already 1000s of financial obligations in life, I don't need more. I avoid subscriptions as good as I can.

Subscriptions prevent archiving your work. If you use tools like you would do if you book an external studio, why not, but all the creative input you put in will be lost afterwards and you only have the final result...
And that is the business idea behind it, get hooked to finally buy to own, to keep your precious work intact...

seems Di*k is fluent in Newspeak.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:12 am Subscriptions prevent archiving your work. If you use tools like you would do if you book an external studio, why not, but all the creative input you put in will be lost afterwards and you only have the final result...
And that is the business idea behind it, get hooked to finally buy to own, to keep your precious work intact...
It doesn't matter whether it's subscription or not: print the stems. Hard drives are cheap and you can always cull versions that you know have been abandoned.

Stuff breaks and it doesn't matter whether it's down to a hardware failure, an OS update breaking something, a company with a C/R protected plugin disappearing, a dongle dying or a subscription expiring. Over time, bit rot sets in. You can protect yourself against bit rot with just a little bit of archive discipline.

OTOH, you can always keep the masters at Universal and watch them go up in flames one day.

80% of this topic is people saying subscription isn't for them so shut up... and then other people going: yeah, well but it is great for some people so shut up. And then there are those that believe subscription leads to communism or the downfall of man..

And then there's me who just a little annoyed it's only this all-in-one/all-or-nothing offer. I was hoping for a more flexible model where you can rent a number of plug-ins and buy the ones you really like.. or in my case keep them. Seems to me this would do a lot better for PA as well.

Seems to me this approach of mega-bundles is kind of old-hat anyway, not specifically related to PA but just my sense of where 'music-making' is headed. I see people are moving away from that idea of a mega DAW, a million synths and plug-ins and then just sitting there with the mouse all day. That EDM hype that drove a lot of people into that style of producing seems to have peaked a while ago too. That makes this bundle something they should've launched 4 or 5 years ago.

dunno if anyone's ever opened a project with all Plugin Alliance plugins unregistered before?
the GUI is inaccessible due to a placeholder image being placed over the whole interface. So copying your settings to another EQ for example, is not possible. It's annoying as f**k, and i suspect that a few users are gonna experience that one. and regardless of the price of hard drives, I often don't work that way, rendering.

i guess subscriptions are like EDM, i can't argue that it works for some people, but i'm never gonna subscribe to it. I personally can't fathom RENTING studio software, and there's really only the new mastering compressor i'm interested in. i'm a bit pissed that Dirk spammed me with his 'we're putting in a lot of effort to make sure everyone gets a personal deal' bullshit... he spun so much horseshit about how amazing this new game changer was gonna be. In my eyes PA have slid into some very Waves esq territory now. and just the fact that Dirk is a total liar, i'm concerned where he may be dragging the whole shamozzle.

I'm assuming plugin alliance turned over a new leaf with their specials to try bring back some value to their $299 plugins that were being sold for $4 to voucher holders.

"My music is so important to me I don't do shit to preserve it but I will spend weeks bitching about stuff on the interwebz about things I can't control."

context?

lwj wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:26 am 80% of this topic is people saying subscription isn't for them so shut up... and then other people going: yeah, well but it is great for some people so shut up. And then there are those that believe subscription leads to communism or the downfall of man..

And then there's me who just a little annoyed it's only this all-in-one/all-or-nothing offer. I was hoping for a more flexible model where you can rent a number of plug-ins and buy the ones you really like.. or in my case keep them. Seems to me this would do a lot better for PA as well.

Seems to me this approach of mega-bundles is kind of old-hat anyway, not specifically related to PA but just my sense of where 'music-making' is headed. I see people are moving away from that idea of a mega DAW, a million synths and plug-ins and then just sitting there with the mouse all day. That EDM hype that drove a lot of people into that style of producing seems to have peaked a while ago too. That makes this bundle something they should've launched 4 or 5 years ago.
My thoughts exactly.

I have a number of PA plugs that I hand picked (and a few that just appealed to my GAS and I almost never use). But I have no interest whatsoever in a mega bundle, the majority of which will probably never even be installed or just serve as the anti creative distraction of too much choice.

So, I guess PA just lost a customer.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Dear Dick,
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Regards,
Abraham Lincoln
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I know it's been said.

But to introduce a large sale just before the sub was introduced is pretty sneaky. That doesn't affect me (because I hate the sub-model), but just for anyone else who bought stuff in the sale and might also want a sub too. Nice little cash injection for PA there without conveniently mentioning the sub was coming around the corner.

I love their plugins but I'll never trust PA again. :(
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Gamma-UT wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:40 am "My music is so important to me I don't do shit to preserve it but I will spend weeks bitching about stuff on the interwebz about things I can't control."
It's not just about the music, it's about our tools - and accidents do happen, people will find themselves in situations where they didn't record the stems, or something went wrong.

It's also about communication, hype, marketing tricks, customer respect, and even access to what Marx called "means of production".
According to some, "corps are people too", but people and corps have diverging interests. What is good for shareholders is rarely in the best interest of consumers. And the struggle is oneven: corps define their business model, all a person can do is complain.
PA used to cater for both Elton John and common folk. In the subscription model, we all pay the same... well those of us who can, anyway, for as long as we can.
perfumer wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am Some people want cheap plugins. They don't make a profit with their 'music', and some of them don't even make 'music', just tinker with software/make some noise. Put the regular discounts and sales under a big question mark and you get them whining.

Well, guess what, pro plugins weren't made for you guys. :shrug:

Some thoughts to no one in particular:

As a "heavy hitter" my price is $150 a year. So that is a little bit more than what I have been spending on plug ins for the last few years. So it kinda makes sense for me. Sorry.

If you are running a business then having a fixed cost for anything is nice, especially if you suck at running a business.

Fixed pricing makes budgeting easier for hobbyists and prosumers (hobbyists who spend too much money).

Plugins are not real things, they are licenses.

If you own a modern DAW you really do not NEED any plugins at all, moron. Please read this sentence over and over again.

Any press is good press and all the complainers are really just helping PA. Thanks!

If you can't afford PA prices then move along. There are plenty of free plugins or DAW plugins or low cost plug ins.

How many of these whiners give every freakin' dollar they have to Apple?

PA lets you use plugs on THREE effin' computers. That's my studio desktop, my laptop and ?. Think about it. Duh.

If you whine about software prices then you have absolutely no freaking clue how hard it is to develop, test and market not only any software but niche software like plugins. Get a freaking clue!

PA has the best software installer and management system of any major plug developer. If you use plugins from many different companies you will appreciate the PA install manager for saving you hours of time keeping up with software upgrades and installs. This feature alone is worth $150 a year to me. Seriously.

Hey, guess what? We all die eventually. Even you. Nothing lasts. That song you uploaded to the cloud that people stream to their devices will someday be gone and will leave no dust and no trace on planet earth. Sorry.

Sculpture seems to last a bit if you are interested.

Return to “Effects”