Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Thanks courtjestr. When Reaper first scans .vst folder after copying, pasting your compiled file, Reaper quits. Restarting Reaper, but no Obxd. Same result as with discoDSP build. The old (v1.4?) DISTRHO-Ports VST will load, as do the current v1.5 discoDSP Windows VST2 and VST3 versions with Wine and LinVST/3. I only have one Obxd64.so at a time in the .vst folder. When testing new version, I delete the older Obxd64.so file.

Okay. Obviously both mine and discoDSP's version are causing your copy of Reaper to crash and Reaper then ignores the vst next time it loads. Can you try running Obxd64 (not the .so) from a terminal and post the results? Are you using KDE Neon on Ubuntu 18.04? If not, what is the base of your distro? There might be some libraries missing or the wrong version which is causing Obdx64 to crash.

The DISTRHO-Ports VST is from at least two years ago and looks to be 1.0.

The executable Obxd64 has permissions but won't run in terminal (called Konsole on Neon). Choosing "Run in Konsole" seems to open the executable, but it doesn't actually do anything after opening, no GUI, no warning message, nothing. Terminal doesn't give any messages at all, it just stalls. KDE Neon, based on Ubuntu 18.04. This happens with your build and with discoDSP build.

Thanks for your help, I don't mind running the Windows version in Wine, it would be great to get the LInux version working though.

Interesting. I agree that Wine is a work around but running native would be better. Can you open a terminal and then run it from there and let me know if any messages appear?

I just installed a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine and no issues with standalone or VST with Renoise :help: :shrug: I don't think Reaper should be used in production machines because of the experimental state.

This has got me baffled. Actually, I think Reaper is a red herring. Obxd64.so crashes Waveform10 and Mixbus 5 does not show the vst either. I have tried this on six different computers, including one laptop, two desktops, and three virtual machines, two hosted on Linux, and one hosted on Windows. The one hosted on Windows was a clean install with no additional software added. I cannot get the Obxd64 downloaded from the discodsp site to run on any of those machines. The version of Obxd64 I compiled runs on every one of those machines.

I would be interested in reports from people who have actually gotten Obxd 1.5 to work on their Ubuntu 18.04 machines.

On two very different KDE Neon User Edition (based on Ubuntu 18.04) computers, open terminal (KDE calls it Konsole) in folder where the discoDSP Obxd64 executable resides. Ran the command "./Obxd64 " (without quotes), got Illegal Instruction. Maybe some dependency is missing in Neon that is in regular Ubuntu 18.04.

Re-installed the Linux VST Obxd64.so in .vst folder. Opened Ardour, scan new plugins on program open, but Ardour does not list Obxd64 among VST plugins. Other plugins yes, Obxd no. Ardour is scanning and rescanning the correct folders. Maybe Ardour, like Reaper, is experiment too, I don't know, I don't use it much. The discoDSP VST2 and VST3 64 bit plugins do scan and load with Wine when using Reaper as experiment.

Installed on a Windows 10 "production machine". Obxd64 dll and vst3 scan and load in Windows Reaper 64 bit. Skins, Programs, Banks are loading as one would expect.

stumpydj wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:51 am On two very different KDE Neon User Edition (based on Ubuntu 18.04) computers, open terminal (KDE calls it Konsole) in folder where the discoDSP Obxd64 executable resides. Ran the command "./Obxd64 " (without quotes), got Illegal Instruction. Maybe some dependency is missing in Neon that is in regular Ubuntu 18.04.
This is exactly what I got too. It is not due to a missing dependency; you would have got a completely different message describing which library was missing.

Can you download the Obxd64 executable that I shared and try the same thing?
stumpydj wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:51 am Re-installed the Linux VST Obxd64.so in .vst folder. Opened Ardour, scan new plugins on program open, but Ardour does not list Obxd64 among VST plugins. Other plugins yes, Obxd no. Ardour is scanning and rescanning the correct folders. Maybe Ardour, like Reaper, is experiment too, I don't know, I don't use it much. The discoDSP VST2 and VST3 64 bit plugins do scan and load with Wine when using Reaper as experiment.
Ardour is probably adding Obxd64.so to the vst blacklist. At least it did on my linux box.

macOS Catalina is coming soon and I have notarized OB-Xd app and PKG installer. Also digitally signed all plugin files (AU/VST/VST3). Any feedback is appreciated.

https://www.discodsp.com/download/?id=2

Is it supposed to run on winxp? Doesn`t show up in reaper and renoise.

For a binary to work on pre-win7 versions of Windows requires that they avoid using specific incompatible libraries, and that they are linked with the backward compatible C runtime library. Some modern graphical acceleration functions or libraries like "Direct2D" simply aren't available before win7. If the library used begins to use such functionality it will be impossible to have the binary work on older versions of Windows.

tl;dr; By default things don't run on XP anymore, and special effort would need to be invested to make sure they do.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

That`s cool. It`s just that on discoDSP download page it says "Windows XP+" so I was wondering.

hma wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:03 pm Is it supposed to run on winxp? Doesn`t show up in reaper and renoise.
Minimum is Windows 7. I forgot to remove the XP thing, sorry. I think it's a reasonable requirement now considering Win7 is almost 9 years old :)

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

courtjestr wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:12 am
This is exactly what I got too. It is not due to a missing dependency; you would have got a completely different message describing which library was missing.

Can you download the Obxd64 executable that I shared and try the same thing?
Your executable Obxd64 build runs (quite well actually) from terminal on two different KDE Neon machines. Loads skins, banks, changes programs as anticipated.

The discoDSP executable Obxd64 does not run from terminal on either machine. Instead it gives Illegal instruction message.

Return to “Instruments”