The Big Guitar Amp Sim Roundup + Review

Interactive, forum-based, in-depth reviews, tips, tutorials and more.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Amplifikation Caliburn AmpliTube 4 Axiom GrindMachine Guitar Rig Pro Helix Native S-Gear TH-U Premium Trash 2

mmann wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:13 pm Breverb 2 is great and I also enjoy using SpringAge, but REmatrix doesn't get used as much as the other two Overloud reverbs.
I've never really clicked with convolution reverbs. I did create a set of impulses I really like, but algorithmic reverbs are so much more editable.

I will make an exception for Waves's Abbey Road Chambers. Although I never played through those, I did play through the reverbs at Olympic Studios back in the 60s as well as several physical chambers at studios in the US, so I know that sound well. Waves really got it right. Like most convolution reverbs, it sucks CPU, and has limited editability. But man...they sure got that particular sound right. It's a thing of beauty on rock drums.
My educational website has launched! Read articles, see videos, read reviews, and more at https://craiganderton.org. Check out my music at http://YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit my digital storefront at https://craiganderton.com. Thanks!

the Abbey Road Chambers uses a LOT less CPU when you close the GUI, FYI...
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Anderton wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:07 pm But your mention of the bassoon proves both our points - mine that there's more to life than just copying what came before, and yours that classic timbres will stick around. The bassoon was based on an instrument called the dulcian, but the baroque reworking of it created something more like the modern bassoon, which continued to evolve over time. However, people continued to play the "classic" dulcian until well into the 18th century.

I didn't intend for the takeaway of what I said that the classic tones will go away, but rather, that if we are to be true to the evolution of musical instruments, we'll keep looking for ways to innovate. I wouldn't keep tube amps around if I thought they were irrelevant! However, I do use them less and less...just like people used dulcians less and less when the modern bassoon came along :)
Yeah... I knew I should have edited my 2-3 hundred years to more like 1-2 hundred years, but I figured most of the changes were more about intonation than timbre... blow a double reed into a big tube and it is going to have a particular timbre, regardless of hole placement, but you're right, the instruments have evolved — piano being a giant change in timbre from harpsichord especially (though, further proving both points I suppose, I grew up having a cousin who built and played his own harpsichord*, so I actually prefer it to piano). I wonder if classical instruments will continue to evolve, or if the advent of recorded music will kind of freeze them where they are?

* That same cousin was drafted during the Vietnam war and ended up playing in the Marine Corps orchestra because he could play double reeds — oboe and bassoon, so I guess that's why the bassoon came to mind... very well may have saved my cousin's life. Never underestimate the usefulness of bassoons (especially during wartime) :)

xxx
Last edited by Mats Eriksson on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anderton wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:16 am

This is supposed to be a non-fiction thread...I'm doing the best I can to maintain that.

At a forum? Man, I've been to them all and they all go off topic and have people with varying opinions (some stronger than others :lol: )

Unless you rule with an iron fist, and that has it's own set of drawbacks.

As far as convo verbs go, I like them just fine. The one in Reason does what I need, though I've been experimenting with the Slate offerings (Luscious? ) and really like them on guitars.

Played around with MCabinet a lot more last night. This thing has a lot of potential!

Dewdman42 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:06 pm Played around with MCabinet a lot more last night. This thing has a lot of potential!
As long as you don't use the secret sauce :hihi:

xxx
Last edited by Mats Eriksson on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anderton wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:16 am You keep stating your opinions as "facts," but they are not supported by facts based on numbers from real-world industry research and sales figures, instead of your I-have-no-idea-where-they-come-from opinions.

Pay for some music industry reports if you want to educate yourself. All surveys done by reputable, industry research groups support the same conclusions as the IBISWorld data.

This is supposed to be a non-fiction thread...I'm doing the best I can to maintain that.
Yes, obfuscating a bit aren't we? Guitars, in total, which includes acoustics too (which has ramped up), don't try to do smokes and mirros with all of us here!

We talked about amp sims that people will PAY for, and as the numbers of FREE AMP SIMS seems to increase, and yet keep up the same quality as those paid for, you'll automatically see a decline in swift development. AFAIK Amp sims caters to electric guitars only, if I a m not mistaken.

I make a link to my opinion, and it's not something I got out of the blue and claim as a fact:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/0 ... tar-sales/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-con ... itar%2f%3f

Now, 2018 isn't too long ago, and I am not alone. If you have something to say against this, why not mail the WP in the above link and tell them they're full of it?

Now, please show me the statement you provided, the link to it. It should be open and not paid for. Independent researches are always open, and preferably pdf file.

And btw, while we're at it. Don't just view things from an American perception out there. There's Europe and Asia too. Get an Atlas, but I'll give a tip to you right now: Don't get stuck at the index pages, because you won't find any entries of "Abroad" or "Overseas" there... :wink:
Last edited by Mats Eriksson on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WTF?

Clean up on isle 32 :lol:

yes double posts

You can't delete even your own posts I think, I've searched.

reggie1979 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:27 pm
Dewdman42 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:06 pm Played around with MCabinet a lot more last night. This thing has a lot of potential!
As long as you don't use the secret sauce :hihi:
what secret sauce?

The main thing I like about it is that I can take some of my favorite IR's, analyze them, including getting an average between several that i like to combine, then I can apply EQ's and resonators, smoothers, etc..until it sounds the way I want, and then save it as a single IR that can loaded into any IR loader... Lots of times people are layering several IR's together to accomplish basically what MCabinet lets you do algorithmically so to speak..and then save the final EQ profile as a simple single IR to easily load anywhere. For me that is already a useful tool, but I have yet to experiment with some of its more fancy features like built in dynamic EQ and things like that which would really mean using MCabinet instead of exporting it to IR...but could provide some non-linear response if that is desired, though admittedly I haven't the faintest idea what would be good to do with it and the presets have meaningless names...

Oh yeah, it happens. But it looks as if you've just quoted him and haven't said anything.

Return to “KVR Experts”