Wavesfactory releases Cassette

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:35 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:07 pm I think it's the opposite, people over a certain age who have actually had to record to cassette even 4 tracks or higher end rack mount units are wondering WhyTF is this.
Nope. My first recordings were on a Tascam Portastudio. It was a pain in the ass and I wished I could have recorded in perfect quality at the time, especially after bouncing multiple times.

But a plugin gives control over the character and removes the hassle. I can have just a little bit of tape mojo if I want, without it stacking up every time I add another part. I can have the saturation without any hiss, or I can automate the hiss with an envelope follower. I can slam the saturation and compression in parallel with the clean signal, or only on the side while the mid stays clean. I can apply it to one synth voice while the rest are clean. I can use a really dirty, bandpassed, mono tape sound for the intro and then widen everything out into the main part of the song.
+1

plexuss wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm Just messing around with Cassette learning what it can do, I ran a mix through it. I discovered that the artifacts cause flanging when adjusting mix to let some source through.
Ah man, that really sucks. That may be a dealbreaker for me in the future. :?

Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:48 pm I would love to see someone go this deep on a VHS Audio processor.
+100000

Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:46 pm Between this, Speakerphone, sonitex, Vinyl, RC-20, Chipcrusher, reelbus, ferrox, Vinyl Strip, and many more, I feel like I can screw up sounds in damn near any way I can imagine.
Nice collection! :hail:

Russell Grand wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:50 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:46 pm Between this, Speakerphone, sonitex, Vinyl, RC-20, Chipcrusher, reelbus, ferrox, Vinyl Strip, and many more, I feel like I can screw up sounds in damn near any way I can imagine.
Nice collection! :hail:
I went a bit overboard but I often have to make things sound “old” for work.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Russell Grand wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:49 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:48 pm I would love to see someone go this deep on a VHS Audio processor.
+100000
This Reaktor one is pretty great. Lots of youtube videos of it as well:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... how/11003/

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:28 pm
Russell Grand wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:49 pm
+100000
This Reaktor one is pretty great. Lots of youtube videos of it as well:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... how/11003/
:tu:

Russell Grand wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:38 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm Just messing around with Cassette learning what it can do, I ran a mix through it. I discovered that the artifacts cause flanging when adjusting mix to let some source through.
Ah man, that really sucks. That may be a dealbreaker for me in the future. :?
Isn’t that what you expect from a tape plugin though?

That's completely expected behaviour for something applying small amounts of tape-style pitch modulation. How could it not do that? How do you think a flanger works?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:07 pm
morelia wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:08 am Sorry if it's been asked but can anyone comment on how this compares to Sketch Cassette. I know WC has a deeper feature set but sound wise it is hard to compare. The videos for SC don't give too much away.
I'm currently debating between the two as well. Sketchcassette is only 10 dollars right now and from the one video on the site, it sounds pretty great.
https://aberrantdsp.com/plugins/sketchcassette/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ya-RIA ... e=emb_logo
if you want authentic cassette, get WF, if you want a decent affordable saturator, get Sketchcassette.

WF Cassette is a better cassette, but Sketchcassette is a good plugin on its own merit, just not as good of a cassette imo

morelia wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:08 am Sorry if it's been asked but can anyone comment on how this compares to Sketch Cassette. I know WC has a deeper feature set but sound wise it is hard to compare. The videos for SC don't give too much away.
I'm currently debating between the two as well. Sketchcassette is only 10 dollars right now and from the one video on the site, it sounds pretty great.
Sale on Sketch is over, did you get it?

Where on earth is the serial for this. I got two emails when the order was completed. I may just be blind , but I don't see it in the receipt the confirmation or the invoice.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:57 pm Where on earth is the serial for this. I got two emails when the order was completed. I may just be blind , but I don't see it in the receipt the confirmation or the invoice.
I got an email from info@wavesfactory.com titled "Cassette - Your username and serial number" that had (oddly enough) my user name and serial number in it :)

andrewklimek wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:55 pm
Sale on Sketch is over, did you get it?
I bought sketchcassette first and realized it was only VST3. I haven't really started moving to VST3 yet though. Developer said they can't do VST2 since they only started up this year and Steinberg aren't giving VST2 licenses anymore. They offered a refund but it was only 10 dollars so I kept it, will probably use it eventually (just a matter of turning on my VST3's in Bitwig!). Ended up getting WF Cassette as well though anyways!

imrae wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:56 am That's completely expected behaviour for something applying small amounts of tape-style pitch modulation. How could it not do that? How do you think a flanger works?
+1
This is the same behavior as other tape sims like ToneBoosters ReelBus & Goodhertz Wow Control.

What is Flanging?
Basically, whether digital or analog, the flanging effect is created by mixing two identical audio signals, applying a slight delay to one signal, and slightly (and continuously) varying the delay time. Combining two identical audio waveforms with a slight time delay between them results in an interference pattern where the volume level of some frequencies are reduced while the volume of other frequencies are increased.
Last edited by Winstontaneous on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”