What are we still lusting for?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Regarding the promise i made to myself: Reaper has been updated to 5.99 a few days ago.
I was thinking if they kept their v0.01 increments, Reaper 6 surely still had to be months away.
Now it's not so sure anymore, could be anytime really.
I should better start looking for the exact model of my new Laptop!
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Spring.

I could produce everything with my setup, if only I didn't feel sleepy all day :v
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I'm lusting for a software sampler like ShortCircuit 1 [32bit only] that is simple to use, has many different filters and effects, and is multitimbral with separate outputs. Honestly, I'd just settle for 64bit ShortCircuit 1, but I'd use something similar. TAL-Sampler is very close to what I have in mind, but it's not multitimbral. I hate constantly having to open/close different instances. It ruins the creative process for me. It is so much easier and faster to just press 1,2,3... in the GUI that is opened the whole time.

Otherwise, I'm more than settled with everything, software and hardware. Well, speaking of hardware, I would like to assemble a Eurorack modular.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

i thankfully have no room for a modular system, that's where the Berlin Modular would come into play :hihi:
then again, the more i think about it: how many modulars are actually polyphonic, or how easy is it generally to make them so?
Maybe i really just want Bazille 1.5 or 2.0 :help:

Regarding TAL Sampler, i feel your pain!
I mean it is awesome and the workflow is so fluid, but with just a few more features it would absolutely kill. Even more so than it does already.
Same with TAL Mod.

Still hoping for some of my niggles being addressed at some point.
Didn't want to pester Patrick with those as he surely knows what's technically possible in other instruments and they are his vision, so in the end only he knows what they're supposed to do and what not
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

i am still lusting for a hardware synth that is completely easily programmable without having to get off my computer seat and i can just easily set it up with the computer and never touch it. that might be cool. in theory hardware is great but in practice i usually just use software - personally. occasionally i'll fire up a piece of hardware to record with but more often i just want to bang out a track

a fully functioning VCV Rack VST that works easily and doesn't require any fiddling around with audio/midi shit. that is coming soon.

maybe a much better piano roll / composition program with the proper features that would make it easy to sequence MIDI fluidly and with many different methods - that would probably be my #1 desired software. i don't like the piano roll and midi editing really in anything from Reaper, Sibelius, Logic, or Ableton. each one has its own strengths and weaknesses but none of them really do what I want them to all the time. I feel like in theory there could be a much better MIDI editing software that is able to be fun and enjoyable to work with, rather than annoying and fiddly. that makes it joyful to sit and edit midi passages rather than kind of strenuous and laborious to get good sounding midi.

mxbf wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:12 pm i am still lusting for a hardware synth that is completely easily programmable without having to get off my computer seat and i can just easily set it up with the computer and never touch it. that might be cool.
Virus TI

Apparently IKM Uno too.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

mxbf wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:12 pm i am still lusting for a hardware synth that is completely easily programmable without having to get off my computer seat and i can just easily set it up with the computer and never touch it. that might be cool. in theory hardware is great but in practice i usually just use software - personally. occasionally i'll fire up a piece of hardware to record with but more often i just want to bang out a track

a fully functioning VCV Rack VST that works easily and doesn't require any fiddling around with audio/midi shit. that is coming soon.

maybe a much better piano roll / composition program with the proper features that would make it easy to sequence MIDI fluidly and with many different methods - that would probably be my #1 desired software. i don't like the piano roll and midi editing really in anything from Reaper, Sibelius, Logic, or Ableton. each one has its own strengths and weaknesses but none of them really do what I want them to all the time. I feel like in theory there could be a much better MIDI editing software that is able to be fun and enjoyable to work with, rather than annoying and fiddly. that makes it joyful to sit and edit midi passages rather than kind of strenuous and laborious to get good sounding midi.
Get out of my head!

(seriously - ty for saving me from typing these exact words, especially regarding VCV Rack (love it, but now with the bridge gone from the latest updates is wait time) and Abelton's piano roll - to be fair it has improved. (If you don't know that you can select a note and alt+drag to change velocity - I take gift cards :) )

Modulation and automation of LFO and MSEG points and complex spectral filters like in Iris...
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

I'm lusting for time. I have all the tools I could want/need but I keep taking on more freelance work and side-gigs. I need like three-months to just work on my own music but I need the extra income to help pay for improvements to our house. Once I have the spare time, I'll be working on those home improvements rather than music! :dog:

I lust for a strong motive to work hard and finish what I started, reaching this point that I feel satisfied with what I have done!

I'm still hoping for a Virus Ti plug-in (even though the developer said "never gonna happen"), and a Bricasti M7 plug-in (even though the developer said "never gonna happen").

For now Viper and Seventh Heaven are nice substitutes, though.

OB-6 desktop = dream
Novation Peak = aspiration
Korg XD module = plan

recursive one wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:51 am
Examigan wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:24 am Non-subscription version of Roland plugins.
+1
Shiek927 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:17 am Would love to see the V-Synth and JP8000 as well.

Would also love to see vsts of the Nord Lead, Waldorf Q and Novation Supernova.
+10
Shiek927 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:17 am I simply love the 90s/2000's sound and synths from that era have such a great character, which makes it all the more shame that there's hardly any desire to make authentic plugins from that era. It feels like every developer instead is more focused on making cleaner and cleaner wavetable synths when I'm not the biggest fan of either wavetables or cleanliness: it's character that I want from my synth plugins.
+100

I'm not lusing for any existing plugins, my dream softsynth would be something combining the best sounding parts and the most interesting fetaures of Virus TI, Massive X, Rapid, Repro and Diva but since I own all the above nothing stops me from combining them myself
That actually sounds like Diva! or I guess a take on Diva that focuses on virtual analog synths as opposed to classic analog! maybe something for u-he Diva 2 haha.

But yeah! all these developers keep making these wavetable synths and branding them about how super-clean they are and it's like..that's not what gets me going haha. I want character, I want richness and depth. I want to play sounds that instantly tickles my ears and conjures up nostalgia. Hope there's a interest at some point in revisiting this 90s/2000's era because, with the modern tech we have at our finger tips today like zero-delay feedback filters, I dare say they would sound better than they did before.

I feel like Arturia would be my developer of choice to bring back a synth like this because, like with their DX7 plugin, they don't mind taking liberties if it means a better user experience. The UI on that one is one of my faves and I love how they didn't just stick to the hardware, but made something that was actually much better.

So yeah! the AN1X, Waldorf Q, Novation Supernova, Clavia Nord Lead..that era which is commonly associated with Trance music (at least, classic trance) is something I'd love to see much more appreciation for!

justin3am wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pm I'm lusting for time.
Me too.

Shiek927 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:22 pm So yeah! the AN1X, Waldorf Q, Novation Supernova, Clavia Nord Lead..that era which is commonly associated with Trance music (at least, classic trance) is something I'd love to see much more appreciation for!
+1000

Screw those super clean, super soft, bright modern soft synths, bring on some character and aliasing. :P

Return to “Instruments”