What are we still lusting for?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mxbf wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:12 pmi am still lusting for a hardware synth that is completely easily programmable without having to get off my computer seat and i can just easily set it up with the computer and never touch it.
Plenty of options there - Analog Four (if you can find one), Ultranova, Uno, Skulpt and Craft Synth 2.0 all come to mind.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

DuX wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm I'm lusting for a software sampler like ShortCircuit 1 [32bit only] that is simple to use, has many different filters and effects, and is multitimbral with separate outputs. Honestly, I'd just settle for 64bit ShortCircuit 1, but I'd use something similar. TAL-Sampler is very close to what I have in mind, but it's not multitimbral. I hate constantly having to open/close different instances. It ruins the creative process for me. It is so much easier and faster to just press 1,2,3... in the GUI that is opened the whole time.
Such plugin exists. It is named... MUX Modular.

Watch these videos.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

mxbf wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:12 pm maybe a much better piano roll / composition program with the proper features that would make it easy to sequence MIDI fluidly and with many different methods - that would probably be my #1 desired software. i don't like the piano roll and midi editing really in anything from Reaper, Sibelius, Logic, or Ableton. each one has its own strengths and weaknesses but none of them really do what I want them to all the time. I feel like in theory there could be a much better MIDI editing software that is able to be fun and enjoyable to work with, rather than annoying and fiddly. that makes it joyful to sit and edit midi passages rather than kind of strenuous and laborious to get good sounding midi.
Did you ever consider these two following MIDI composition tools ?

Huge, extremely powerful and with many different methods and many different idea tools:
RapidComposer

Here is a series of 16 tutorials (more are to come)

Simple, straight forwarding, but with a great versatility:
Sundog Studio

Here is a series of videos from the developer
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

chk071 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:30 pm
Shiek927 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:22 pm So yeah! the AN1X, Waldorf Q, Novation Supernova, Clavia Nord Lead..that era which is commonly associated with Trance music (at least, classic trance) is something I'd love to see much more appreciation for!
+1000

Screw those super clean, super soft, bright modern soft synths, bring on some character and aliasing. :P
Good point, but I'm all for character, wihout aliasing. ;) All soft synths should have an oversampling button somewhere, like Voxengo plugins.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:15 pm
DuX wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm I'm lusting for a software sampler like ShortCircuit 1 [32bit only] that is simple to use, has many different filters and effects, and is multitimbral with separate outputs. Honestly, I'd just settle for 64bit ShortCircuit 1, but I'd use something similar. TAL-Sampler is very close to what I have in mind, but it's not multitimbral. I hate constantly having to open/close different instances. It ruins the creative process for me. It is so much easier and faster to just press 1,2,3... in the GUI that is opened the whole time.
Such plugin exists. It is named... MUX Modular.

Watch these videos.

Thanks! I'll check it out.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:27 pm A girlfriend.
This hardware is similar to euro rack. Endless money pit. Each piece does one or two things and nothing else, so need to add another to the group to make the rack better. Before you know it, youre poor, have no time for friends, and are tangled up in a mess.

justin3am wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pmI'm lusting for time.
Me, three (Urs was "too"). I look back 10 years, when I used to make skins for Orion, build plugins in SynthEdit and still work on music and I honestly can't see where I got all the time from. These days I am lucky if I can find an hour a day to even think about music, much less make some. It's torture!
BlackWinny wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:26 pmHuge, extremely powerful and with many different methods and many different idea tools:
RapidComposer
30 seconds of that guy's voice was enough for me, thanks.
Simple, straight forwarding, but with a great versatility:
Sundog Studio
Interesting but a bit convoluted for anyone who knows what they're doing.
Honestly, I don't see the point in complaining about piano rolls. How much of your time do you spend in them? I reckon for me it would be around 2%.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Butwug wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:57 am
This hardware is similar to euro rack. Endless money pit. Each piece does one or two things and nothing else, so need to add another to the group to make the rack better. Before you know it, youre poor, have no time for friends, and are tangled up in a mess.
lol :lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:12 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4yLPF5sM0A

Shiek927 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:22 pm
I'm not lusing for any existing plugins, my dream softsynth would be something combining the best sounding parts and the most interesting fetaures of Virus TI, Massive X, Rapid, Repro and Diva but since I own all the above nothing stops me from combining them myself
That actually sounds like Diva! or I guess a take on Diva that focuses on virtual analog synths as opposed to classic analog! maybe something for u-he Diva 2 haha.

But yeah! all these developers keep making these wavetable synths and branding them about how super-clean they are and it's like..that's not what gets me going haha. I want character, I want richness and depth. I want to play sounds that instantly tickles my ears and conjures up nostalgia. Hope there's a interest at some point in revisiting this 90s/2000's era because, with the modern tech we have at our finger tips today like zero-delay feedback filters, I dare say they would sound better than they did before.

I feel like Arturia would be my developer of choice to bring back a synth like this because, like with their DX7 plugin, they don't mind taking liberties if it means a better user experience. The UI on that one is one of my faves and I love how they didn't just stick to the hardware, but made something that was actually much better.

So yeah! the AN1X, Waldorf Q, Novation Supernova, Clavia Nord Lead..that era which is commonly associated with Trance music (at least, classic trance) is something I'd love to see much more appreciation for!
That my "super synth" would have a lot of wavetable and some FM capabilities too :)
Wavetable synths may sounds super-clean but they don't have to. Depends on the wavetables themselves, the interpolation and playback algorithms, all the stauration and coloration which may be in any place in the signal path. Wavetable oscillators are a big part of Virus TI appeal and they sound anything but super-clean.

Buyt yes, that classic late 90/00's sound is what I still love very much and it indeed seems somewhat untapped market. Adam Szabos' Viper and JP6k, Sunrizer, Diva's JP oscillator, that's it? Discovery, but it is often said that it doesn't really sound similar to Nordlead. Waldoft and PPG softsynths, but I don't know how much similarities to MicroQ they have, if any.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

perfumer wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:47 am
:D what movie is that?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:53 am
perfumer wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:47 am
:D what movie is that?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424381/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

recursive one wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:51 am
Shiek927 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:22 pm
I'm not lusing for any existing plugins, my dream softsynth would be something combining the best sounding parts and the most interesting fetaures of Virus TI, Massive X, Rapid, Repro and Diva but since I own all the above nothing stops me from combining them myself
That actually sounds like Diva! or I guess a take on Diva that focuses on virtual analog synths as opposed to classic analog! maybe something for u-he Diva 2 haha.

But yeah! all these developers keep making these wavetable synths and branding them about how super-clean they are and it's like..that's not what gets me going haha. I want character, I want richness and depth. I want to play sounds that instantly tickles my ears and conjures up nostalgia. Hope there's a interest at some point in revisiting this 90s/2000's era because, with the modern tech we have at our finger tips today like zero-delay feedback filters, I dare say they would sound better than they did before.

I feel like Arturia would be my developer of choice to bring back a synth like this because, like with their DX7 plugin, they don't mind taking liberties if it means a better user experience. The UI on that one is one of my faves and I love how they didn't just stick to the hardware, but made something that was actually much better.

So yeah! the AN1X, Waldorf Q, Novation Supernova, Clavia Nord Lead..that era which is commonly associated with Trance music (at least, classic trance) is something I'd love to see much more appreciation for!
That my "super synth" would have a lot of wavetable and some FM capabilities too :)
Wavetable synths may sounds super-clean but they don't have to. Depends on the wavetables themselves, the interpolation and playback algorithms, all the stauration and coloration which may be in any place in the signal path. Wavetable oscillators are a big part of Virus TI appeal and they sound anything but super-clean.

Buyt yes, that classic late 90/00's sound is what I still love very much and it indeed seems somewhat untapped market. Adam Szabos' Viper and JP6k, Sunrizer, Diva's JP oscillator, that's it? Discovery, but it is often said that it doesn't really sound similar to Nordlead. Waldoft and PPG softsynths, but I don't know how much similarities to MicroQ they have, if any.
Well, I've briefly owned a Nord Lead and a Micro Q and can safely say that nothing is currently out there that comes close to what these two have. Discovery Pro sounds pretty poor all things considered and definitely far off. The freeware Synth1 honestly and hilariously sounds closer, but still doesn't have the same richness and depth. To be honest, the only synths that qualitatively come to mind would be u-he Diva and Repro. Of course, neither one model it's character -- the Nord character is extremely bright. Plucks are very forward and even deep basslines come through very articulate. It's definitely got a very "cut through the mix" character and nothing springs to mind with the same vibe.

The MicroQ sounds AWESOME when you have it right in front of you. Holy cow, no Youtube or Soundcloud demo does justice when you have play the onboard demos directly into your headphones. That beings said, yet again there is nothing that matches it. Largo and the current obvious offerings don't sound like it (likely because they weren't trying too). The only one that comes even remotely close would be the ancient Terratec Komplexer which is supposedly modeled after it and can read MicroQ files. There's a little something there, but it's so dated and unsupported that I can't really recommend it.

So yeah. It's definitely an untapped era to say the least, which is surprising considering a whole generation grew up with 1st gen VA's and the classic trance era. A Nord Lead VST doesn't even have to necessarily 1:1 one specific model. The company has such a rich history, they could easily pull off their unique plugin that takes different bits from different synths, such as pulling the various waveforms from the A1 or taking a more modular approach. Thankfully, at least the JP8000 has some love with Diva's digital osc and the inevitable JP8000 Roland Cloud plugin.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

just buy ana2 then?

Return to “Instruments”