SlickEQ M 2.0

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Posted in the effects forum, but it won't hurt to see it here too - Version 2.0 has arrived! W00t! :party:

2.0.0 Major update

# Added VST3 support
# Added compatiblity for macOS Catalina
# Added 100%, 125% and 150% UI scale options.
# Added advanced mixed phase modes for stereo width and balance filters.
# Added "SumDiff" stereo mode offering operation similar to traditional M/S EQing.
# Added "Mono" and exclusive channel modes "Sum", "Diff", "Left", Right".
# Added ECO and LIVE (zero latency) processing modes.
# Replaced LF and HF nonlinearity options with LF and HF exciters (legacy mode still accessible and recallable).
# Added Smart Operations panel (incl. control over stereo width and panning).
# Added source selector for the analyser: Off, Input, Output.
# Added options for Stereo Analysis (stereo width and balance vs frequency).
# EQ autogain no longer affected by HP or LP (projects recall as before, though).
# Analyzer precision and reaction time improved.
# UI performance improved.
# Fixed bug in stereo width loudness correction (old projects recall as before, though).
# Several little improvements.

Happy days, some nice improvements.

Just one little request though - would it be possible to move the smart ops panel to the right hand side of the GUI? When the VST resizes to accomodate the panel, everything kind of jumps to the right, rather than the panel gracefully appearing on the other side. Probably more work than you need right now (*cough Catalina), but would appreciate it if you could put it on the to-do-some-day list. :D

Thanks Fabien and team, nice release :tu:

:party:

Nice update! Some notes about the VST3 version in Cubase 10.5 (Windows 10):

1. There is no bypass button in the DAW. In normal SlickEQ's changelog for v1.3.1 there is an update called "# Fixed VST3 soft bypass", so maybe the same fix is needed here?

2. For SlickEQ non-M and M: in Cubase's HiDPI mode, closing and re-opening the GUI shrinks the window size every time until there is almost nothing to see left. I'm unsure if this is on the plug-in's side or the DAW's...

3. A minor issue for SlickEQ non-M and M: the edges of the plug-in show a resizeable mouse cursor when hovering over them, but the neither of the plugins are resizeable.

Thanks! We've fixed 1. already in our codebase, still investigating into 2. and 3. (could be Cubase, could be our own code).

If you have time, pls rename the VST3 file (to hide it) so that the VST2 is being used. Let me know if it changes anything.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 pmIf you have time, pls rename the VST3 file (to hide it) so that the VST2 is being used. Let me know if it changes anything.
Of course. The VST2 has none of the above issues.

Very nice update, Congratulations, Fabien !

One little concern about the GUI : I really do like it, and I enjoy the resizing. However, I wish we could also have a size between 100 and 125%, because 125% is very big, while the font display at 100% (no Windows) is not very good...

I've downloaded Slick EQ M 2.0.0 several times from my TDR customer profile but can't get it to install.

This is a 2012 MacBook Pro 9,1 running OSX 10.14.5
In System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General I have "Allow apps downloaded from App Store and identified developers" enabled. Usually there's an "Allow" button when I get this prompt for other developers' apps but not with Slick M 2.0.0

Error in popup window says:

"(the .dmg) can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

Chrome downloaded this file today at 9:38 PM from store.tokyodawn.net."

Thanks! Great plugins!

So it begins...

We'll double check and likely fix Apple's "funny" mess. Apple forced us to rework our installers according to Catalina's demands, now they are forcing you to update your OS harrrr harrrrrr :cry:

All we can realistically guarantee is to fully support the second latest OS active to date. Sounds messy? "Think different!". :? It's now been almost 2 months of work running behind this stuff, blocking our product development. Too bad I'm no Apple shareholders! :tu:

After trying about 5 or 6 more times I got Slick EQ M 2.0.0 installed.
Not sure what exactly did it, I had actually come across the same link you shared before posting here.

I can fully understand why you're considering charging more for Mac plugins!
Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask this question :-)

I was a big time user of the good old "Variety of Sound" plugins and now in times of x64 I am using lots of TDR. One thing that could not be replaced though was the "stateful saturation" of the VoS ThrillSeekerLA. I used this extensively as an exciter on individual tracks or busses. I particularly liked the setting on "2-5Khz" or "HF".

The SlickEQ M 2.0 now has an exciter function, too. To me they sound similar, but not the same; also they have different controls. SlickEQ has a more seamless frequency-slider, which I like.

Does anybody know, if the SlickEQ exciter is based on the "stateful saturation" of VoS? And if so, any tips an how to setup the SlickEQ exciter to get a similar result to ThrillseekerLA on HF-satuation-mode?
I reckon to remember an article of Herbert where he introduced "stateful saturation" to the regular SlickEQ GE. But I can't find it anymore and I couldn't find anything in the manual of SlickEQ M.

Thanks for awesome plugins and the helpful community!
All the best, Matt

M.P. wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:00 pm Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask this question :-)

I was a big time user of the good old "Variety of Sound" plugins and now in times of x64 I am using lots of TDR. One thing that could not be replaced though was the "stateful saturation" of the VoS ThrillSeekerLA. I used this extensively as an exciter on individual tracks or busses. I particularly liked the setting on "2-5Khz" or "HF".

The SlickEQ M 2.0 now has an exciter function, too. To me they sound similar, but not the same; also they have different controls. SlickEQ has a more seamless frequency-slider, which I like.

Does anybody know, if the SlickEQ exciter is based on the "stateful saturation" of VoS? And if so, any tips an how to setup the SlickEQ exciter to get a similar result to ThrillseekerLA on HF-satuation-mode?

I reckon to remember an article of Herbert where he introduced "stateful saturation" to the regular SlickEQ GE. But I can't find it anymore and I couldn't find anything in the manual of SlickEQ M.

Thanks for awesome plugins and the helpful community!
All the best, Matt
I interpret stateful saturation as level-dependent saturation that changes based on input. The Silky and Deep modes of SlickEQ are described as "dynamic," which might be the closest to stateful saturation. The new Seven mode is a "transient-specific saturator," which might be another clue that its character varies based on input. By design, none of the output modes give you obvious saturation unless they're driven hard. There are some SlickEQ presets floating around that uses emphasis and de-emphasis to drive them.

Regardless, as I and countless others have said a million times, I'd love for Tokyo Dawn to refresh the old VoS plugins for a new era.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that was what I meant! I knew, there was something floating around saying SlickEQ used some kind of "stateful saturation". But I also would love to know about the modes in SlickEQ M. After experimenting a bit with my ear and the good old plugin analyzer, i found this:

--> VoS ThrillseekerLA with everything OFF except saturation mode; "HF" mode, saturation meter at about 40%
is similar to
-->TDR SlickEQ M with everything OFF except HF-exciter; set at about 2.5kHz with 120-130% excitement. Of course, depending on input material.

The analyzer showed a softer curve (like hi shelf) and less but wider harmonics in Thrillseeker; and a steeper curve with "ripples" with more refined harmonics in SlickEQ M. Funny enough, it sounds quite similar with slightly more pronounced mids in ThrillSeeker and highs in SlickEQ M.

Still my question stands: does anybody know specifics on whats under the hood? I know "stateful saturation" is just a name, a concept; so my main question may be: does TDR use a similar algorithm as VoS (because they used to work together) or not?

Oh boy, I would even finance (e.g. crowdfund) to get some of the VoS renewed by TDR! :-)

All the best
Matt

Bootsie was directly involved in the design of most SlickEQ output saturation models.

His focus on "stateful" saturation, back then, was justified as a counter-act to the widely used, rather banal waveshaping being marketed as pseudo analogue. I am not sure if it still makes sense today, as just every better sounding saturation has "state", meaning more than just a banal X/Y mapping. My guess is, he would not ride this in 2020. ;)

All our saturations have advanced dependencies. They don't just depend on level, but also frequency, signal history, polarity and more.

SlickEQ's sat models are meant to provide a wide variance of mechanisms, for creative uses. I think we could focus on slightly more aggressive ranges in the future, as SlickEQ's sat is rather subtle.

SlickEQ M's exciters follow a different objective, they try to offer that an agreeable and functional density you can't achieve with standard EQ and dynamics. They improve audibility at low levels (using both gives great control over the dynamic aspects of the equal loudness contour) and sanitize the harmonic structure. It's a "lucky" combination of instant upward compression and harmonic enrichment, that keeps inharmonic saturation (IMD) lower than nature would do, making it a great option for mastering. I always wanted to have an exciter that doesn't mess up and yet fills this blind spot not covered by EQ and compression. ;)

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”