Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:24 pmReaper users are mostly nerds who like to customize every aspect and who like to combine exotic functions to do weird things to their audio
Like game industry professionals who need to get creative and technical stuff done with the most powerful tools available, perhaps? https://www.reddit.com/r/GameAudio/comm ... ame_audio/

Note that this isn't a budget thing either: Reaper is being used extensively with professional middlewares that cost thousands of dollars for anything larger (i.e. for project budgets over $500k in FMOD's case, for example, offering Reaper integration as the de facto solution for the DAW -> middleware -> engine pipeline) https://www.fmod.com/studio

In the end, though, the "game industry audio type" is still somewhat generalizing, and generalizations/stereotypes are a shorcut to low quality discussion, especially if their use happens to combine with poor technical/methodical understanding. If one is in a mindset that would still need quite a bit of actual meaningful and constructive discussion (on the implications of choosing a particular DAW, regarding a given professional's workflow, methods of composition, project structure etc. etc.), in good spirits, to actually learn about these things, no matter which DAW was in question - and yet what actually emerges is just confrontative and poorly argued forum discussion from square one - then trying to steer it all into a more constructive direction is pretty frustrating. I've come to the conclusion, most of the time it's better to avoid places that exude that vibe to begin with, and stay creative in your craft and profession, with fellow creators and artists who share said more positive approaches. To that end, personally I tend to stay away from here these days :wink:

(Singling out Reaper as the environment that brings about "totally horrible, amateurish sounding music with no sense of musicality, harmony, melodic structure, rhythm or groove at all" is still pretty baffling, even with the low standard of discussion established before that, haha :D )

when i first landed on your planet, my mission was "see why the baldy apes cant stop going to war".
tbh the galactic federation where expecting something we could help with, but this is genetic.
you stupid simians will fight over just about anything, it's your go to style of communication in seemingly any and all situations.
even complimenting some of you leads to arguments.

at this rate i dont see you getting out of your star system any time in the next few million years. maybe by then, one of the other lifeforms will evolve and keep some of you as pets when they go out in to the cosmos.
Last edited by vurt on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Guenon wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:12 pm
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:24 pmReaper users are mostly nerds who like to customize every aspect and who like to combine exotic functions to do weird things to their audio
Like game industry professionals who need to get creative and technical stuff done with the most powerful tools available, perhaps? https://www.reddit.com/r/GameAudio/comm ... ame_audio/
Damn... That actually makes me want to try out Reaper.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

codec_spurt wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm REAPER has its place. It's a superb Swiss-Army-Knife of a DAW. It can do things that practically no other DAW can with supreme ease. (Like recording in DAT tapes or 4-TRACK outs). Then again it struggles with the most basic of midi stuff. Like routing a few different tracks to kick/snare/hats on the same VST.
Which Vst was that then?

I have track folders set up to route many midi ins and audio outs for lots of vst's, never had any problems setting them up in seconds.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:24 pm
mguerrero90 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm While in theory you can do the exact same in Reaper as in Ableton Live, it's simply not executed as efficiently and hassle-free in Reaper as it is in Ableton Live.
Let me fix that
While in theory you can do the exact same in Reaper as in Ableton Live, and Reaper is in fact an incredibly solid program, im just to stupid to figure it out, and thats fine.
Let's assume for argument's sake your personal attack and insult of my intelligence had any foundation in reality: why is it that I can easily create music in Ableton, while I can't "figure out" how to do it in Reaper? Are you saying Reaper is only suitable for rocket scientists like you, who spend their spare time insulting strangers on internet forums? :lol:

Okay, let's assume Ableton is more accessible to 'dumb' people like me and allows me to do the exact same thing that I wish I could do in Reaper, but find to difficult to execute there: is that not actually an argument pro-Ableton? It speaks for the design decisions that the Ableton developer team made: they clearly understand the needs of their user base. Hence I said that Reaper users are mostly nerds who like to customize every aspect and who like to combine exotic functions to do weird things to their audio, while Ableton users are more typically straight up creative people who want to make actual music = different needs, different tools.
Lol them’s fighting words

In my experience reaper’s demographic is mainly comprised of people who to want keep an eye out for other DAWs’ announcements so they can tell you reaper does the same thing and only costs $60.

AFAIK that’s all some of them use it for :D

I’m joking guys don’t crucify me

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 pm Good question. Honestly, I doubt that there are tons of users who used to make music professionally in FL, Cubase, Logic or Ableton, who switched to Reaper because they like the workflow better. I can imagine that maybe some mixing and mastering engineers like to explore Reapers wealth of functionality, but especially for modern producers that like to work using virtual instruments, Reaper does not offer any real advantage and actually makes music creation more difficult (more costly, because you have to spend more of your professional time figuring basic functions out that would be self-explanatory or intuitive in well-designed DAWs).
On of the real advantage is, that you can customize the hell out of Reaper, so that it match their workflow. Yes, this needs some investments, but if you are a professional, and take your profession serious, you do such investments.

A lot of professional programmers (me, as an example ;-) ) are working with tools like emacs and vi, which are much more unconvential to other text editors/IDE than Reaper is to other DAWs (even the copy & paste keyboard shortcuts are different). I would assume that I've already invested about 200 hours in my Emacs configuration, but my productivity has increased so much that this investment has surely already paid off, and maybe even more important, nothing hinders my flow.

Kypresso wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:09 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm REAPER has its place. It's a superb Swiss-Army-Knife of a DAW. It can do things that practically no other DAW can with supreme ease. (Like recording in DAT tapes or 4-TRACK outs). Then again it struggles with the most basic of midi stuff. Like routing a few different tracks to kick/snare/hats on the same VST.
Which Vst was that then?

I have track folders set up to route many midi ins and audio outs for lots of vst's, never had any problems setting them up in seconds.
yes, I dont understand why they are having a problem with that sort of midi routing - maybe their description is not accurate or specific to a particular vst

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 pm when i first landed on your planet, my mission was "see why the baldy apes cant stop going to war".
tbh the galactic federation where expecting something we could help with, but this is genetic.
you stupid simians will fight over just about anything, it's your go to style of communication in seemingly any and all situations.
even complimenting some of you leads to arguments.

at this rate i dont see you getting out of your star system any time in the next few million years. maybe by then, one of the other lifeforms will evolve and keep some of you as pets when they go out in to the cosmos.
https://youtu.be/wxZr7an15G0?t=4

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 pm
ruslan.st wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am This is a bit too big generalization. What about users who migrated from FL, Cubase, Ableton and others? Does it mean they immediately stopped creating good music?
Good question. Honestly, I doubt that there are tons of users who used to make music professionally in FL, Cubase, Logic or Ableton, who switched to Reaper because they like the workflow better. I can imagine that maybe some mixing and mastering engineers like to explore Reapers wealth of functionality, but especially for modern producers that like to work using virtual instruments, Reaper does not offer any real advantage and actually makes music creation more difficult (more costly, because you have to spend more of your professional time figuring basic functions out that would be self-explanatory or intuitive in well-designed DAWs).
I switched from FL to Reaper for this very reason. FL Studio is a hodge podge of various tacked on technologies. It should have been re-written years ago, but would have been too difficult to do. Even the main developer at the time agreed--Gol. Yes, it has been improving, and yes there are many who love it. But the same goes for Reaper. I find the linear format refreshing and easier to use, while the licensing and ideologies that are behind Reaper more closely match mine. So, while I can't say whether "there are tons of users" who have switched or not, I'm one.

P.S. Then again, I've never made music professionally in FL or Reaper, so there's that... :P
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

everyone posting here about which daw is best is missing the point of owning a daw, i.e. to make music and sound stuff.

so why don't you all stop arguing and go make something. you will feel better and more accomplished and will no longer need to tie your self-worth to the program you use.

EDIT: To anyone thinking of replying with "insulting each other about software is what this forum is FOR :hihi: " or "you haven't been on the internet long ;)" or something similar: if you have spent enough time on these forums that you know that's what they're for, then you must know that these jokes have been made so many times that they don't really need repeating.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Guenon wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:12 pm Note that this isn't a budget thing either: Reaper is being used extensively with professional middlewares that cost thousands of dollars for anything larger (i.e. for project budgets over $500k in FMOD's case, for example, offering Reaper integration as the de facto solution for the DAW -> middleware -> engine pipeline) https://www.fmod.com/studio
Yes, forgot FMOD. Reaper is actually the only DAW that integrates both with Wwise as well as FMOD.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Yay I like and use Reaper

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm ...while the other application requires one to "figuring out" basic functionality in a tedious process first because the application is designed so poorly that nothing makes immediate sense...
Yeah, that is called learning and practicing. It is quite rewarding as well.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm You make it sound as if Ableton users are all some dumb kids who just "play around with sounds" and if lucky by coincidence create a melody or even more comprehensive piece.
Well, how many Ableton users actually have any music theory training? Or any training in composition? Because if you are trying to create music without even the slightest understanding of it, then yes, you are just playing around with sounds and getting lucky.

Without even the basic understanding of how to construct music, it would be like trying to bake a cake without a recipe. You might know what goes in a cake but without the recipe, you have no idea of the quantities or the baking time so you will most likely end up with a mess.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm There are ten-thousands, maybe hundred-thousands of great, highly creative and inventive artists doing phenomenal things in Ableton, while I'm still waiting to see something that was done using Reaper which impresses me personally.

like who? And why should it matter what they used? Isn't supposed to be about the music being made?

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm I don't think it's a coincidence that most "Reaper musician" make totally horrible, amateurish sounding music with no sense of musicality, harmony, melodic structure, rhythm or groove at all - they are too busy trying exotic functions and parameters, instead of focussing on the musical aspect.
Well since this quote aptly describes my opinion of 99% of modern music that is currently being made, then everybody and his uncle must be making music with Reaper!

Controllers, DAWS, VST instruments, and effects, etc are merely tools to help you create the music within you. It shouldn't matter what you use because your style will be evident regardless...providing you have put the required effort into learning music so you have the ability to express yourself in a competent manner and not have to rely on gear to help you.

Tycho uses Reaper elusively, and his albums are tight AF. Deadmau5 has been seen messing with it in one of his videos he posted a while back. Its so stupid to say pro artists dont use it. If you are into Metal, I bet lots of bands have used it to record albums. If you are into electronic music, well....theres Tycho for example.

Why are you guys arguing over this?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”