Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:03 am
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm ...while the other application requires one to "figuring out" basic functionality in a tedious process first because the application is designed so poorly that nothing makes immediate sense...
Yeah, that is called learning and practicing. It is quite rewarding as well.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm You make it sound as if Ableton users are all some dumb kids who just "play around with sounds" and if lucky by coincidence create a melody or even more comprehensive piece.
If you are trying to create music without even the slightest understanding of it, then yes, you are just playing around with sounds and getting lucky.
:clap: :tu:

Monkeys in a laboratory :wink:

Without the right balance between left and right brain processes,the creative process can easily amount to nothing of substantial value...

The architect with the gay bow tie and the flowery shirt may be blessed with some very creative ideas,but they literally won't stand up unless they have been signed off by a structural engineer...

Like architecture,music requires structure and form and it's just not going to work unless that basic framework is in place...

A bit like trying to flog a dead racehorse :wink:
No auto tune...

I'm really disappointed in how quickly this thread devolved into toxic bickering. Not surprised, mind you, but still disappointed.

Some people prefer Reaper and others prefer Live, Logic or something else. That's why multiple DAWs exist, otherwise we'd all be using the same DAW!

IMO you can make professional sounding music in any modern DAW. It's just a matter of preference.

NAD wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:18 am I'm really disappointed in how quickly this thread devolved into toxic bickering. Not surprised, mind you, but still disappointed.
The most illuminating part of it all for me has been the number of girlfriend analogies. Feels like I am at a used car sales lot :D

qoyl wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:33 am
NAD wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:18 am I'm really disappointed in how quickly this thread devolved into toxic bickering. Not surprised, mind you, but still disappointed.
The most illuminating part of it all for me has been the number of girlfriend analogies. Feels like I am at a used car sales lot :D
and that does remind me of the Reaper forum - can be very helpful but can be very "historic" in the attitudes on show :)

qoyl wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:33 am
Oh...

Is that where you go for girlfriends, then?

:D

I tried REAPER 6, and love the new theme it looks a lot better than any of them I have seen both themes default and custom made. I don't understand how people think it looks ugly, it just looks basic and that is why I like it more than other daws. I started with Reason and believe that Reason is great, because it is inspirational with all the in the box synths/racks with the ability to route everything in it. It's great for that but it is also much more expensive than REAPER like all other daws. I then tried FL Studio and it's a clusterfudge of all this weird setup I just couldn't dedicate myself to. To be honest I started using REAPER because you can without spending money, and then purchased the license after I felt like I wanted to. I have also tried Waveform and before I tried Mixcraft. After messing with other daws, including Studio One I just get bored and go back to REAPER because it was so easy to learn. I started watching REAPER Mania, on youtube by Kenny Gioia and his succinct and descriptive videos were a real joy to watch; in fact, it is easy for me to reminisce about those viewings when I look back. Screwing with Reason's ssl mixer as a newb was frustrating, and having to click everywhere to see what is going on in FL Studio is so tedious. Mixcrafts visuals are pretty childish but Mixcraft 9 looks cool now that just came out. And Studio One was just annoying at first probably because REAPER is different and I didn't have the dedication to learn. I love the basic track setup, where everything just runs linearly and the FX throughput is just so easy to pull up, and view it all. Things are easy also intuitive when you get the hang of it, just easy to go with it. I think people like to spend money, and get all these visual stuff going on but I'll let you know- that is all a marketing ploy and somewhat of scammy way of doing things. Companies build intricate designs they find appealing or easy to sell. Not saying all or any for that matter are deliberately going for this, but most all daws do some form of this to latch onto buyers. REAPER is a lot like pro tools, very simple and we all know that many successful musicians/producers use that to make a living or make hits. All the bickering and hating here is just immature people who are overthinking production or their lives unfortunately. It's better to be excited and use what you love I hope this is interesting to someone thanks for reading!

I disabled the HiDPI (preferences, Advanced UI/system tweakes, unaware).

When going between v5 and v6 theme I noticed with v5 the tracks visually sit more familiar. I could go with v5 theme but disabling HiDPI made v6 sizes similar. Mentioning cause maybe some with smaller screens will prefer it...

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Without even the basic understanding of how to construct music, it would be like trying to bake a cake without a recipe. You might know what goes in a cake but without the recipe, you have no idea of the quantities or the baking time so you will most likely end up with a mess.
thats a bad compare. because if you create a new cake, there is no recipe for it. music need touch the feel should not sound as existing and should be exiting. it is usefull to know music theory because it can reduce the trail time. At end music is trail and hear if it sound good for you.

see the lots diffrence in arabic music and europe/usa etc music. what you like is mostly a flavor embossing in child time. for example when people not hear in child time arabic music, they think it very bad out of tune. same is with other music when childs not hear europe/usa music
Last edited by magicmusic on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

twal wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:01 amI don't understand how people think it looks ugly
And then there are people who don't understand how people DON'T think it's ugly. Or inconsistent. Or lacking contrast. Or just objectively breaking design rules for no good reason.

I don't understand how people don't understand that people don't understand. I for one find some things hard to understand and there are people that just don't understand that I don't understand. Then again, it could just be a misunderstanding. Would it be fair to say that if you like Reaper and the way it looks then that is great but you may not actually be able to convince anyone to have the same opinion as you have? Or maybe you can, but even if you can, what is the point? How is that of benefit to anyone? Isn't it just wasted time that could have been better spent using your favorite DAW?
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Hey! I also have an opinion! :box:

For the first time I don't use the new default theme because I can't stand a tiny little detail:

This rainbowish 90s GIF-style button makes me angry. :evil:

I use the route button all the time (when starting a new project) but really can't stand this look. Think I switch back to the six or seven DAWs on my hard disk. :x

Cool, rather than argue, let's celebrate knowing thyself. If you don't like it that's awesome. I've spent so much time on DAWs that didn't pan out. If you don't like the look of it then that may be a gift. Pushing you away before you waste your music making time.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

mgw38 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:39 am
Yes, forgot FMOD. Reaper is actually the only DAW that integrates both with Wwise as well as FMOD.
I guess this has to do with Reaper being deliberately designed to be more 'hackable' than other commercial DAWs. Other DAWs simply don't "integrate" with those systems, because they don't have those interfaces coded in that are required to add an layer of middleware. To me this is not a required feature, but I can see how this can be valuable for game audio designers. In terms of the core task (music composition) I still experience Reaper as cumbersome, irregardless of how 'hackable' and suitable for other applications it might be.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:55 am
twal wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:01 amI don't understand how people think it looks ugly
And then there are people who don't understand how people DON'T think it's ugly. Or inconsistent. Or lacking contrast. Or just objectively breaking design rules for no good reason.
It's ugly for sure. The new GUI is slightly better, but it's still the least appealing looking DAW I own. Even with custom themes, it still has big blank white spaces in the track / plug in windows for instance. A lot of the GUI still looks like 2003 Sonar design etc.

On the other hand, I'm excited about CC automation drawing. Lines are cool for editing specific data, but the fact is for me it was always frustrating trying to do curved automation edits with lines, half the time it wouldn't behave the first time through..

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”