Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

enCiphered wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:38 pmHey, I like you :D
Well, musically yes. They are really good and I saw them live twice. It is just because I don´t like the opera singing at all.. Although Floor Jansen is an amazing singer and Nightwish sounds so much better with her.
Regarding P.o.S, I think Daniel Gildelöw will always try to blur the lines between different genres and subgenres. He is a very strange character with endless creativity. Scarsick and Perfect Element are masterpieces but I really like all of their albums
Hey, you're not bad yourself. :D

I didn't see NW twice but I saw Pain Of Salvation twice. :) It's very hard for me to pick their best album, it's probably Remedy Lane, but other days it will be BE or Entropia, or OHBTCL... Depending on the mood. :p

And yep, Floor is an absolutely amazing singer!

Andywanders wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:25 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm ...Like routing a few different tracks to kick/snare/hats on the same VST.

I know you think it can do that, and anyone would think it could, but it can't.
I can't imagine what you're doing wrong.

Routing 3 MIDI tracks into a single VST track takes a few seconds and it works perfectly.
I checked the thread in the Reaper forum, the routing he wanted while recording (only audio on Track2) was:

MIDI => VSTi on Track1
Output Track1 (VSTi) => Track2

Don't ask me why. For this routing you need to understand the different Monitor and Recording settings (which, this is true, are more complex/flexible then in other DAWs), and he needed help for this.

"metal is not music"

someone just lost the right to be taken seriously.

Klinke wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:00 pm
Andywanders wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:25 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm ...Like routing a few different tracks to kick/snare/hats on the same VST.

I know you think it can do that, and anyone would think it could, but it can't.
I can't imagine what you're doing wrong.

Routing 3 MIDI tracks into a single VST track takes a few seconds and it works perfectly.
I checked the thread in the Reaper forum, the routing he wanted while recording (only audio on Track2) was:

MIDI => VSTi on Track1

Don't ask me why. For this routing you need to understand the different Monitor and Recording settings (which, this is true, are more complex/flexible then in other DAWs), and he needed help for this.
True.

Don't ask me why.

Well, I doubt you would know why I wanted to do something with a particular use case (or anyone else). Looking back, don't even know why I wanted to do it myself. :)

The clue was in the title of the thread though:
How to record audio output of vst to new audio track?

The reason 'why', was because there really was no other way to achieve this. If this was your use case, then it really is that convoluted and time-consuming and non-intuitive and difficult, compared to many other DAWs. I did say all this in my original post on the subject.

I know I was kinda getting a bit kinky there wanting to record audio output of vst to new audio track - what can I say? I'm an audio pervert!

:o

But I won't be kink-shamed on this one. If that kind of 'fruity' stuff is your 'bag', then, you just need to take those whippings like the very naughty boy you are if you are going to use REAPER to try to achieve this kind of absolutely disgusting transgression in to pure audio filth!

:lol:

Then again, maybe I'm just an audio idiot and don't know what I'm doing. That is also highly likely. But then again, then again, none of the audio experts on the REAPER forum knew a better way to achieve my twisted audio needs either, apparently.

Ah well, I guess I may be stupid. But at least I'm not a 'bullshitter', ah?

:tu:

I wonder if it's any easier with the new update...

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am (not all of them, though - S1 also doesn't support MIDI channels in a single item IIRC). :)
That is indeed correct. In Studio One there is no such thing as MIDI Channels for clips or notes, MIDI Channels only exist at the track level. One (not the only) downside of that is if you use instruments that use MIDI channels for articulations or other such things, you won't be able to keep it all on one track.

On the upside (if you can call it that) it arguably has the single most elegant way of moving midi notes between tracks, select the notes and right click and Transfer Notes to move them to any open track in the multi-view.

I honestly just kind of shrug my shoulders at the GUI complaints because I wasn't using the default theme before. The nice thing with Reaper is how much you can customize it. I'm running the iLogic v3 theme, with some tweaked toolbars and menus, I created a few custom icons for the toolbars, a custom MIDI note color map, maybe edited a few them colors and fonts here and there, and I'm super happy with the look of it. Was never a Logic user or anything, looking to recreate the look, just think it's a handsome, functional, legible theme. Wasn't going to switch back to a default theme.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:20 pm
Reaper has coloring modes for MIDI editor, one of those modes is "Channel", so you can easily discern which events belong to which channel. You can also filter visibility of events by MIDI channel... all within one single track. It's very easy.

And I gave you at least one scenario where you'd want to use MIDI channels on a single track - recording MIDI coming from an MPE device. You could even do whole songs (with up to 16 MIDI channels) on a single track... That's how it was done in the old days :)
As I said, I have no use for MPE currently, so that scenario is already excluded. I have no interest in "doing a whole song on a single track" just for the mere sake of it. I don't see any advantage in that capability, so it's basically a useless feature that clutters the software without any benefit (unless of course you could present a use case-scenario where such capability would indeed yield a benefit).

I find the idea horribly annoying to have so many MIDI notes all being displayed and edited on the same track simultaenously and I don't miss that function at all in my workflow. Notes belonging to different MIDI channels discernible by different colors? That's not a workflow I

It's best practice to be keep each MIDI channel on a separate track to maintain order and structure. In fact, I work even in the exact opposite way: for example when I have a MIDI track addressing a multimbral drum instrument, I usually want to have the different drum sounds on separate MIDI tracks all addressing the same VST instrument, which then outputs the various instruments to different audio channels / busses (depending on the mixer architecture of your DAW). That way, if I only want to MIDI edit my hihats, I open up the corresponding MIDI track and only have my hihats displayed. I can't imagine a scenario where I would rather have the MIDI for the entire song displayed when I simply want to make some edits to the MIDI of my hihats?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:25 pm I honestly just kind of shrug my shoulders at the GUI complaints because I wasn't using the default theme before. The nice thing with Reaper is how much you can customize it. I'm running the iLogic v3 theme, with some tweaked toolbars and menus, I created a few custom icons for the toolbars, a custom MIDI note color map, maybe edited a few them colors and fonts here and there, and I'm super happy with the look of it. Was never a Logic user or anything, looking to recreate the look, just think it's a handsome, functional, legible theme. Wasn't going to switch back to a default theme.
I think most are the GUI complaints are not about the main page but are about the unskinned windows and menus. You can have the nicest theme possible applied but the GUI will still look bad in places.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

I have long wanted to try Reaper, so I wanted to clarify - if I'll buy Reaper 6.0 will I receive free updates until 7.0 or 8.0 version?

DimagiC wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 pm I have long wanted to try Reaper, so I wanted to clarify - if I'll buy Reaper 6.0 will I receive free updates until 7.0 or 8.0 version?
It will work for version 6 and version 7, for version 8 you will have to buy a new license.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 pm Hey, Nightwish had some really great stuff. Ghost Love Score is an amazing song, say. But the first few albums are golden.

(Pain Of Salvation though... now that's what we're talking about, although they do walk between genres often...)
Devin Townsend

Kongru wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:35 pm I think most are the GUI complaints are not about the main page but are about the unskinned windows and menus. You can have the nicest theme possible applied but the GUI will still look bad in places.
You mean those modal Preferences-type windows that we look at for a few seconds at a time? The backgrounds, fonts, highilights on Action, Browser, Track View, etc. can all be customized. Those are the screens that I'm actually interacting with when I work. The things that aren't skinned/themeable are some of the more preference and error type modal windows that you hardly ever see in a session.

Also, have you used Cubase 10.5? Some windows are black and modern looking, others have the old blue-gray background (Studio Setup), while others have more of a "windows 95" type of look (Audio Connections). That lack of consistency for preference/config style Windows isn't unique to Reaper is all I'm pointing out (and Stienberg has a much larger team).

Also, when folks like EvilDragon are calling the Default 6 GUI ugly and calling it low-contrast, with a disorganized combo of flat and 3D elements, poor use of colors, etc. that's not about unskinned windows, it's about the new theme. Maybe it would help if everyone who was calling Reaper ugly was as specific, because you're probably right in that some people may be referencing some unskinned windows or other elements that are not theme related, but I think most people were talking about the new version 6.0 default theme.

Kr3eM wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:44 pm
DimagiC wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 pm I have long wanted to try Reaper, so I wanted to clarify - if I'll buy Reaper 6.0 will I receive free updates until 7.0 or 8.0 version?
It will work for version 6 and version 7, for version 8 you will have to buy a new license.
Thanks!

codec_spurt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 pm
Klinke wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:00 pm I checked the thread in the Reaper forum, the routing he wanted while recording (only audio on Track2) was:

MIDI => VSTi on Track1

True.

Don't ask me why.

Well, I doubt you would know why I wanted to do something with a particular use case (or anyone else). Looking back, don't even know why I wanted to do it myself. :)

The clue was in the title of the thread though:
How to record audio output of vst to new audio track?

The reason 'why', was because there really was no other way to achieve this. If this was your use case, then it really is that convoluted and time-consuming and non-intuitive and difficult, compared to many other DAWs. I did say all this in my original post on the subject.
First: I hope you didn't feel attacked by my post, this was not my intention.
Second: What exactly was your goal? I got the impression, that you wanted to have audio instead of midi. Or did you really need two tracks (as you didn't wanted to record midi on track 1, I don't see any use of track 1 after you finished recording). But if you goal was only to get the audio, I think it would already enough to select: "Record output" as Record mode in Track1. (edit: I check it now, it works like expected via "Record output", so you need only a single track and one additional menu selection compared to a normal midi recording).
Last edited by Klinke on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comparing Reaper to Ableton Live is like comparing a 24 track tape machine to a MIDI/sequencer set up. Both have their uses. Some need both others are proficient with just one.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”