21 posts since 18 Apr, 2019 from Ambler, Pa

Re: Kushview Element (Modular Environment) now FREE

Post Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 am

kushview wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:03 am
zyguli wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:29 am
Does it handle PDC?
Quick answer, yes and no. latency compensation happens automatically at the graph level. Adjusting for individual plugins will be coming in a future release.
Is it possible to better explain this? At the graph level there is automatic PDC, but at the individual plugin level PDC is not yet available. Is graph level PDC not as effective? I don't understand the benefits of one over the other. I want to turn my one of my PCs into an effects box for my hardware.
When is someone going to design a controller that can control all the buttons, knobs, and sliders on a VSTi\VST :?:

Burillo
KVRAF
3757 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Post Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 am

iLLusionistX wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 am
kushview wrote:
zyguli wrote:
Does it handle PDC?
Quick answer, yes and no. latency compensation happens automatically at the graph level. Adjusting for individual plugins will be coming in a future release.
Is it possible to better explain this? At the graph level there is automatic PDC, but at the individual plugin level PDC is not yet available. Is graph level PDC not as effective? I don't understand the benefits of one over the other. I want to turn my one of my PCs into an effects box for my hardware.
I think what he meant was that since latency is compensated at graph level, you would have trouble if you had multiple parallel FX that all have different latency, because their output in relation to each other will be different. For example, if you were running two convolution engines in parallel, each of which would give you different latencies, you'd basically get comb filtering due to the fact that their total latency is compensated at graph output, but is not compensated in relation to each other.
From Russia with love
Our online jams (if you speak Russian - you're welcome to join!)

iLLusionistX
KVRer
21 posts since 18 Apr, 2019 from Ambler, Pa

Post Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:15 am

Burillo wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 am
iLLusionistX wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 am
kushview wrote:
zyguli wrote:
Does it handle PDC?
I think what he meant was that since latency is compensated at graph level, you would have trouble if you had multiple parallel FX that all have different latency, because their output in relation to each other will be different. For example, if you were running two convolution engines in parallel, each of which would give you different latencies, you'd basically get comb filtering due to the fact that their total latency is compensated at graph output, but is not compensated in relation to each other.
Ok, thank you! I understand better now. But, that puts a bit of a damper on the PC as an "effects box"...for now anyways.
When is someone going to design a controller that can control all the buttons, knobs, and sliders on a VSTi\VST :?:

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27840 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:30 am

iLLusionistX wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:15 am
Ok, thank you! I understand better now. But, that puts a bit of a damper on the PC as an "effects box"...for now anyways.
two things to consider : (1) most effects dont actually introduce any latency, and (2) PDC is generally only useful in playback in a DAW.

WRT (2) this is because the typical compensation system involves delaying tracks with a lower sum of latency time so that they're played later than they would be, to put them in time with the output of any tracks with higher summed latencies.

For a live effects processing scenario, that latency compensation still means latency, and people generally prefer to minimise latency in a live effects rig, not increase it.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

Return to “Effects”