'Analog' sound from VSTs

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
JerGoertz
KVRAF
2708 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:24 pm

Gamma-UT wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:15 pm
vurt wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:50 am
keep losing my detachable penis though.
You don’t keep it in a yellow plastic shoobedoo?
Don't you tell me what to do
A well-behaved signature.

vurt
addled muppet weed
61190 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: 'Analog' sound from VSTs

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 pm

was that a yoko song?

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
5409 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:51 pm

vurt wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 pm
was that a yoko song?
That would be shooweeooarrghhghghghghgghghghoooeeee-oo.

Ghost Snake
KVRist
150 posts since 16 Oct, 2009 from Italy

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:57 pm

4damind wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:17 am
chk071 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:52 am
4damind wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:33 am
Ghost Snake wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:02 am
I was 'shocked' by the results he got from Serum.
"Shocked" because of the digital sound of Serum? That's just the sound that many people like, especially with current music in EDM/Trance etc. For an "analog" sound I would not use Serum, Spire etc.
There are better (but not free) plugins like from U-He, Arturia, Slate and some others.
That would be interesting ;) Maybe he should tell us why he was shocked.
Well I was impressed by the movement, depth and complexity that he gets from a plugin.... But I admit I'm not into sound design that much, so maybe he did nothing special... But it sounded really good to me
I am musically schizophrenic

Spring Goose
KVRist
303 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:23 pm

Does this help you, about spreading voices and adding drift? Is this what you mean?

Kinh
KVRian
1319 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:28 am

Tha emulators are gonna sound weak, dats just tha way it goes. Maybe for filtered soundz like pads and shit but anyfin bright, fowget it. Ya gotsta look at sample synths like uvi synth anthology. Just bear in mind some their presets are out of tune and processed wit their own fx, shit but at least they cut through

chk071
KVRAF
23140 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:31 am

Ghost Snake wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:57 pm
4damind wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:17 am
chk071 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:52 am
4damind wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:33 am
Ghost Snake wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:02 am
I was 'shocked' by the results he got from Serum.
"Shocked" because of the digital sound of Serum? That's just the sound that many people like, especially with current music in EDM/Trance etc. For an "analog" sound I would not use Serum, Spire etc.
There are better (but not free) plugins like from U-He, Arturia, Slate and some others.
That would be interesting ;) Maybe he should tell us why he was shocked.
Well I was impressed by the movement, depth and complexity that he gets from a plugin.... But I admit I'm not into sound design that much, so maybe he did nothing special... But it sounded really good to me
Serum sounds excellent.

Ghost Snake
KVRist
150 posts since 16 Oct, 2009 from Italy

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:07 am

Kinh wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:28 am
Tha emulators are gonna sound weak, dats just tha way it goes. Maybe for filtered soundz like pads and shit but anyfin bright, fowget it. Ya gotsta look at sample synths like uvi synth anthology. Just bear in mind some their presets are out of tune and processed wit their own fx, shit but at least they cut through
haha straight to the point, I like that
I am musically schizophrenic

GRUMP
KVRist
201 posts since 11 Jun, 2019 from Darmstadt, Germany

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:51 am

An always again interesting Evergreen-Topic in the VST Dimension... My two Cents about it:

My Focus is not "analog", I never use VA Synthesis and even Filters frequently stay untouched. But my Ears are used to more Depth, Warmth and Complexity that are usually also associated with analog Sound and Gear. I still remeber the Polysix Saw Pad standing in the Room, shimmering, breathing ... simply beautiful.

However ... I tried a lot, made extensive Tests, trialed many VSTs and so on ...

I recommend not to expect too much from VST Synths. Your Ears are used to hear mastered Sounds and you´ll always compare your Sounds with what you remember. So - you should maybe consider the "End of the Story/Chain" at the Beginning.

I´m now completely satisfied with Consoles/Channel Strips/Compressors/Mastering Tools from bx and Acustica Audio. Those Tools add everything I always missed and I can even determine how much of that Charcter I want. Compression is very important. Never underestimate good Compressors concerning Depth, Coloration, Warmth and so on - as well as the right EQs. bx´s VGAIN and THD are hepful anyway.

If you want to go further you should maybe look at the Stereo Dimension first. Bass-Frequencys > mono - slightly pan certain Frequency Bands (Melda) - M/S Balance - M/S EQing - Stereo Enhancing.

I´d assume that most of us will not go further than that - I usually don´t - but there are many Ways to do so. Unlimited creative Potential. And don´t forget to adapt the Synth Settings again ... especially the U-he Stuff is full of very helpful Options.

I´ll maybe post a little Demo later. Great "analog" Sound coming from the Sampler. Halion. With just bx ssl E and SH-Mastering Comp. Even HALs Filters sound good this Way ...
Sound Design - VOX, Airy, Choir

Return to “Production Techniques”