Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I’m afraid I know because I used mine exactly this way :)

Calenberger wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 am 25$ voucher requires minimum spending of 32$: voila!
Ah, I think the issue is that my voucher is for $50 with a minimum spend of $75.
That actually makes such a purchase more expensive for me because I have a higher value voucher :0
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

sqigls wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:08 am i own the PA version also, but haven't installed it, i see absolutely no reason to upgrade.
what is the advantage?
Oscillator oversampling is, at last, working. In most synths this wouldn’t be a huge deal, but Thorn massively benefits here. The high end isn’t noticeably improved, but timbral stability with respect to pitch is much better, the ‘dirty’ filter is nicer, and things sound much cleaner overall.

Thanks @cron :tu:

evilantal wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:45 pm
Calenberger wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 am 25$ voucher requires minimum spending of 32$: voila!
Ah, I think the issue is that my voucher is for $50 with a minimum spend of $75.
That actually makes such a purchase more expensive for me because I have a higher value voucher :0
Whats interesting about this, is that not every PA customer received the Thorn $39,99 Offer; so without a rant... Maybe Dirk is much smarter than we think he is. The house always Wins, as they say. :clap:
Last edited by El°HYM on Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

nevis wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:57 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 am
AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:03 am Yeah I think unfortunately if you didn't jump on the $19 crossgrade offer back in February of last year, you have to re-buy the whole thing from PA...
Is that true?
As I wrote in "the other Thorn thread":
nevis wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:34 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:57 am
krabbencutter wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:16 pm noooo I missed the Voucher deadline (;﹏;)
I missed it too, but only for the reason that I do have the 1.0 version and don’t need an update yet and did not find anything in the PA catalog which I would actually use...
My old "upgrade to 1.2 now until March 2019 for $19" code I got from PA still worked yesterday. I was waiting for the Thorn improvements to materialise before getting it.
Sounds like you should also have one of those codes as an owner of 1.0. Maybe worth a try to find your old code?
Thanks! Although, to be clear, I only bought into Thorn once it had become part of PA.
My question was more an exclamation of disbelief that both companies involved would behave in such a manner. Their upgrade policy does, however, have implications for me regarding Tantra, which I assume will share the same fate as soon as V2 hits. So it' good to know they are playing fair :tu:

Dmitry has said in the past that if the PA-emailed code doesn't work for existing users, he will send a replacement.

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:37 pm
Really? I've never taken much notice but it doesn't seem like a CPU hog to me. I used to run it on a 4th Gen Core i5 and even then I didn't notice it using too much CPU.
Yeah really but I think its genre related.
I note that your chosen genre doesn't make use of huge dense chords whereas mine does.
Thorn doesn't play well when things start to stack and things quickly get out of hand to the point where freezing isn't just an option its essential.
I had the same issue with Diversion.
i7 user here.

It's not about what style of music anyone plays, it's about how it compares to other instruments. I was just doing some quick tests and Thorn doesn't use appreciably more CPU than any of the others I tested - DUNE, ArcSyn, Pigments, Union, Hive, Repro 5, Synthmaster One, and Vacuum Pro - on a patch with 8 voice unison (or equivalent), playing the same 4 note chord. To make it fair I reduced the release on all the patches I used to a similar value. Even without unison, Repro 5 was far and away the biggest CPU hog (it couldn't play the chord with unison on) but the others all oscillated within the 15%-25% range on my Core i7. i.e. 25% when there was note overlap, 15% when there wasn't. Thorn was definitely at the higher end of the scale but not so far from the average that you'd notice in a project.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Good deal now for 29$ + VAT from Plugin Alliance.

I did a track for the OSC back then, which used 21 instances of it, all in real time and on my poor machine for music with just built-in realtek soundcard and the old dual 6 core Xeons not overclocked...
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-violovac
I had to be careful and by the end it began to be somewhat scratchy to work with, but there have been many, many other synths that couldn't dream of doing what Thorn did! :hail: :hyper:

Gamma-UT wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:17 pm Dmitry has said in the past that if the PA-emailed code doesn't work for existing users, he will send a replacement.
Dmitry is great, nice guy and good support.
Support from PA is well,.......very very slow.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:43 am Bought it to replace my CM version. Couldn't really say no at that price.
Just because you mentioned, I realized I have Thorn CM too. But the terms of use say CM plugins can't be used for commercial purposes. Is it really the case?

EDIT: Found this info and I am happy. :) This means I can get UA Lion instead of Thorn as my only/single PA purchase, thanks to you. :tu:
Can I use CM Plugins to make commercial music or is that against the rules of the license?
You can use CM plugins to make commercial music - in fact, we'd love to know about it if you do!
https://www.musicradar.com/computermusi ... ins-571802

You should have bought the full version of Thorn !

It's one of the best synths on the planet :)
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”