UVI Falcon, not a great sampler ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How the Times change ... You don´t remember the Times when you might have asked for 3-4 more Digits on the Display but didn´t in the End because you had no Adress to send your Complaint to?

.. some of us actually did send feedback to hardware companies on the user experience and interface, back in the day. I've sent letters to both Roland, Korg (that wavestation.. sigh) and Kawai (yeah, don't even get me started on that first iteration of k5000!).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I think Falcon might be the most worthy VST I have of really diving into the manual and learning the ins and outs.

collider wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:08 pm What do people except from an instrument you can basically do ANYTHING with in a modular way.
Do anything with just one mouse click?
Just adapt to the workflow - UVI Falcon is very well laid out and hands down awesome.
Ok, boss. :wink:
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I recommend to read the manual. It actually looks pretty good on the eyes.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uvi/UVIFC/falcon_manual.pdf

this synth really isn't as complicated as it initially appears.

mxbf wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:28 am I recommend to read the manual. It actually looks pretty good on the eyes.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uvi/UVIFC/falcon_manual.pdf
I recommend to read my post where i said i rtfm. One more time: it’s a great synth. It’s not some fact that because i didn’t get on with it that it for any discernable reason. And, one more time: perhaps i will give it another try when i have the money and time.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Did they ever come up with any decent patch library management? The factory library and expansions provide a ton of sounds, but there's not a whole lot of help in exploring it all. I guess if they're not going to provide a browser like Omnisphere, the next best thing is to re-save patches to a custom location and use standard folder management for them.

I own these samplers and I'm ranking them in the following order:
1. Redux (by Renoise). The most underrated sampler that's the greatest ever. So strange.
2. HALion. More powerful in terms of sound synthesis than Redux and on par with Falcon. Like Redux, HALion has Undo (duh), but Redux hits the sweet spot for me because it's just quick and slick and also has this secret weapon in the form of a built in tracker-based phrase editor, meaning Arp on steroids.
3. Falcon. COULD have been on position 2, alas, it's got no Undo, which is total bullshit. Does HALion have Undo? Does Redux? Yes and yes. So what's Falcon's excuse, anyone? Undo has been around since 1968... School book rule number one: do NOT dismiss undo in ANY app. Fact.

The second reason Falcon won't currently reach position 1 in my samplers list is the fact that it isn't a sampler, by definition, since it can't sample. That's also an area where it could improve.

Yes I know this all sounds awfully negative and I wish I'll get to take back every word I've said. But as one who bought Falcon for hard earned cash, hoping they'll get their crap together with the Undo, and did so for years now, I think I'm entitled to rant about it... Mind you, I still think it's awesome in all other respects. But if UVI want Falcon to become top rank and dethrone the current #1 (which isn't even among my top 3) – Kontakt – then for pete sake add Undo and perhaps make it a sampler, not just a hybrid sample instrument.

The only logical reason for no undo is it’s to much work programming to implement. That’s my opinion anyway after all the excuses

Falcon would really benefit from resampling. Time stretching and then having that be used in another oscillator or re-ingested as a wavetable would send its possibilities through the roof. As it is right now, it's powerful, but locked in the first pass. I feel like most modern electronic genres really leverage resampling to send sounds to the next level. Sine crush basses, neuro bass sounds, or even dubstep basses are all genres that leverage resampling just off the top of my head.

I happen to have just joined the Falcon club, and am getting up to speed with it. Some things strike me as garbage, of course the lack of undo being one of them. Another is the behaviour of the sliders, which jump to the position of the mouse as you click on them, which is insane. There's no use-case for that behaviour, all it does is screw up your settings (with no undo), and whilst holding option or control changes the behaviour so that the value doesn't change until you move the mouse after clicking, it also switches to fine tune adjustment, which is super-slow, then accelerates whilst you drag... which is also ridiculous, as the acceleration is too unpredictable... unless that's to do with my mouse settings(?). I'm mostly in Mac OS at the moment, maybe it's a Mac mouse thing... though I don't think so. I'm still hoping I've just missed something about how to alter these settings... using the mouse wheel help avoid the need to drag the sliders, but is also messy in implementation... and as far as I can tell there's nothing in the settings screen to change the slider behaviour. And to add to that, the sliders are so tiny, they would need a good adjustment implementation to offset how tiny they are... all-in-all just not good for workflow. So whilst this tool is indeed powerful enough to be my main home, the basic and repetitive tasks in the interface seem to be unergonomic enough that spending all my time here might drive me crazy. On top of that, unless I've missed something, there's largely no drag and drop to rearrange the order of things, instead one has to jump back and forth from the tree page to the list page and use copy and paste to move things into a new order. Again, I'm hoping I've just not figured out the shortcuts... but it seems this is how it has been designed. Because the keygroup/layer/program hierarchy imposes specific limts, as one designs instruments/ensembles it becomes necessary to reorganise and replan stuff, and having to jump from screen to screen to copy and paste is a total pain in the arse, and reminiscent of Windows 98 days. I guess the more familiar with the workflow one gets, the less one needs to reorganise... that's what I'm hoping. Nevertheless, it's still kickass enough to be my main instrument.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Just to add to that, these horrendous sliders: on mouse-over the numerical value is displayed. When one clicks, the numerical value disappears, and the slider jumps to the mouse position, so one has no idea the value that it's jumped to. This is absolutely moronic. If one holds ctrl the slider doesn't jump and one has more control, but the numerical value still disappears, so one doesn't know how much of an adjustment has been made until one releases the mouse button. Atrocious design.

While where at it, there are other monumental flaws which I think are important to mention so people (and UVI) understand what needs to be adressed:

No realtime preview during sample editing... For instance, dragging sample's End marker won't let you preview the result when hitting keys during drag. Same goes for loop previewing, which is even worse and a HUUUGE MISERABLE flaw, to put it gently. This shatters your workflow and precision completely when creating loops since you can't hear the result of a Loop point adjustment, until you release the mouse. Say goodbye to sample-precision loop point adjustments. Man, I just realize that it even stops playback randomly if you hold a key while extending a loop point and then releasing it. Who in their right mind would call this acceptable? Template to follow: Redux / HALion.

If I was UVI and I somehow spaghetti coded the whole app such that you can't fit in the essential Undo feature, I'd just redo the whole thing from scratch. Because it does not compete. You can't put a crippled horse on a race track and argue that it's got beautiful eyes at least. I hate to break that one, but it's the factual truth and you don't just neglect these points if you want the thing to survive.

Other things I don't understand: why can't I rename things in the tree view? Is there any logic to the fact that I have to go to the list to be able to double-click and rename? I don't appear to be able to reorder things in either view... but for some reason in the parts view they've implemented drag and drop reordering of programs... is there some sort of deep logic as to why it's only implemented there? Perhaps something to do with scripting makes it problematic?

Return to “Instruments”