Which DAWs support CC out from MIDI FX devices like Reason Rack VST?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

evo2slo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:37 pm
sl1200mk2 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:22 pm Does anyone know if this works in Cubase 10.5? I haven't had any luck yet, but I'm just getting familiar with Cubase again as I primarily use Studio One, so it could totally be user error.
Here's how to route Reason Rack in Cubase 10.5 with third party instruments (quick and dirty):

- Set Midi In on instrument to Reason Rack
- connect cv from modulator to midi out instance in Rack
- assign cc an unused number
- midi learn the control you want to affect (lower the cv scale on the cv's you don't want to learn when assigning multiple cv's)

A word of warning, Cubase is crashing on me when I remove Reason Rack from a project. It seems to save fine though. I think it's a system specific error as it's working okay for most I think. Hopefully Reason will fix it soon, I've submitted a ticket.
Thank you very much! Greatly appreciate the detail and effort! I'll give this a try tonight.

Having spoken to Mattias about this (and I'm sure he can correct me if I get anything wrong!), RRP implements VST3 entirely correctly. The problem, is VST3 itself. It doesn't allow plugins to send MIDI CC directly. Instead they're converted to automation data, and this is something that has to be enabled on the hosts side. Which is the reason it works in some things, and not others. I believe the Reaper devs literally added it a few days ago (again correct me if I'm wrong!). Cubase already has it because, well, it's Steinberg and they own the format and the DAW. I've opened up a ticket with Presonus. And anyone using Bitwig, Live, etc. will have to do the same.

Otherwise if you're on Mac, just use the AU and it will work. Got it going in Studio One 4 Pro here on Mojave.
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

I actually first found it out here on KVR the other day in this thread;

viewtopic.php?t=538083

I think this explains what's going on, assuming I'm reading it right! I don't code so I might be making a tit out of myself haha.

Use VST2 if you can.

The VST3 sdk broke several midi related things. A couple years ago Steinberg reluctantly added a "legacy" feature for getting CC events out of VST3 plugins if those plugins handle it AND the host has to know to use that legacy feature as well, and as of today, not all do, its an add-on kludge.

No guarantees either about sending PitchBend, AfterTouch, ProgramChange non-note events out of VST3 plugins either by the way.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:08 amUse VST2 if you can.
Reason Rack VST, which this topic is mostly about, is available only in VST3 and AU formats :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Haaa they probably couldn't get the license!

Well, sorry to inform you, for now, CC midi out is not going to consistently work from VST3 in all hosts. Maybe someday.

As a workaround, you could use the VST2 version of BlueCatAudio patchworks. Host the VST3 reason inside it. Patchworks will do all the right stuff to get the CC's out of the VST3...and then it will be seen by your main host as a VST2 and all should work fine.

Dewdman42 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:36 am As a workaround, you could use the VST2 version of BlueCatAudio patchworks. Host the VST3 reason inside it. Patchworks will do all the right stuff to get the CC's out of the VST3...and then it will be seen by your main host as a VST2 and all should work fine.
Provided there's no stability issues that's probably a good shout! In the meantime it's good to see that it *can* be implemented; I don't know if Cockos had this in the works for a while or if they were just that quick off the mark that they were able to fix it within days of it being an issue.

So hopefully this'll just require a little patience while the major DAWs get caught up.

Well VST3 could not output CC’s for nearly a decade. Then a couple years ago steinberg added the legacy feature which reaper just recently added support for. I wouldn’t exactly call that quick but some other daws may or may not have even done that or have it on their radar yet. You have to experiment to find out.

ps - BlueCatAudio has been on top of these issues and all discussions related to these issues, so I feel confident it will work as a wrapper for you, but let us know how it goes if you decide to try it. Try the demo and see.

I tried with BlueCat (VST2 Demo) in Bitwig. No joy.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Why no joy? You maybe needed to configure the midi routing inside patchworks which is not enabled by default

My mistake. I was expecting to see Bitwig's flashy yellow MIDI square for CC Out, but nope. Took a closer look using midiMonitor and a MIDI Modulator. There is indeed CC out. All good.

But not worth blowing cash on BC Patchwork just for that. I can output the Reason LFO's/whatever as audio and use Bitwig's Audio Rate Modulator.

Karbon L. Forms wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 pm But not worth blowing cash on BC Patchwork just for that. I can output the Reason LFO's/whatever as audio and use Bitwig's Audio Rate Modulator.
Wow, haven't thought of that. Likely the resolution will be better, too :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”