[Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Shaddup Donny!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:51 pm And definitely push PG. I've been waiting for a long while too. I'm sure Bombadil and I, with your help, can tip the scales... ;)
He's the one person from Genesis I've had the least interaction with, despite almost playing keys with him in 1994 (long story that involves his violinist L. Shankar who I used to play with). PG works on PG time and over the years it seems to take longer and longer to finish an album. He's done various tracks for films over the years though which you can find if you start digging in the dirt!

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 pm Shaddup Donny!
We used to call Peter "Buscemi" because he looks like Donny. He's also out of his element clearly. ;)

Poor Peter. :lol:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:51 pm I freaking LOVE "Stranded". That whole album is fanstastic. Dave, you might remember my statement where I grudgingly had to admit it was better than the release from one of my top three bands of all time (and quite a known band, not some random indie band) that came out in the same time frame. It doesn't hurt that I was already a huge TLA fan so the mixes were definitely right up my alley, but that doesn't take away from the general impact of that song and album. Well done (again).
i love that entire album and have listened to it on repeat more times than i can count. and i don't even like prog...

the second one though, didn't do anything for me. for one, i think it had too much Muse influence, and i hold a big grudge against Muse for "evolving" into some unlistenable overproduced crap... but more importantly, i think the songs were way less memorable. Stranded immediately deposited itself into my subconscious, and there were lots of other songs (Into The Sun for one) that are catchy and powerful. nothing on the second album (what was it called, again?) approached that.

so yeah, i'll use this opportunity to complain directly to Squids. stop wasting time on KVR and go and make another good album! :x
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Squids wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:10 pm Well thanks Peter. I don't remember you saying that but it's quite a compliment.
Well **** you then. :hug:

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:22 pm Poor Peter. :lol:
And I'm even IN my element. So not just to Dave, but well **** you all then!! Grumble grumble.

You'll regret this poor treatment when you're taking my coffee can full of ashes to scatter! :D Though for me it would be in the Atlantic, I'm 100% east coast.

Burillo wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:42 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:51 pm I freaking LOVE "Stranded". That whole album is fanstastic. Dave, you might remember my statement where I grudgingly had to admit it was better than the release from one of my top three bands of all time (and quite a known band, not some random indie band) that came out in the same time frame. It doesn't hurt that I was already a huge TLA fan so the mixes were definitely right up my alley, but that doesn't take away from the general impact of that song and album. Well done (again).
i love that entire album and have listened to it on repeat more times than i can count. and i don't even like prog...

the second one though, didn't do anything for me. for one, i think it had too much Muse influence, and i hold a big grudge against Muse for "evolving" into some unlistenable overproduced crap... but more importantly, i think the songs were way less memorable. Stranded immediately deposited itself into my subconscious, and there were lots of other songs (Into The Sun for one) that are catchy and powerful. nothing on the second album (what was it called, again?) approached that.

so yeah, i'll use this opportunity to complain directly to Squids. stop wasting time on KVR and go and make another good album! :x
Well, I do like Muse, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree and other bands you could say were an influence on my second album which is called "Static" by the way. But, if you like "New World" then I would think there'd at least be a few songs on "Static" you'd like such as the title track maybe (which was originally supposed to be on "New World"). Colin Edwin from Porcupine Tree plays on it as well as on "Into The Sun". Nick Mason on drums via his sample library which was recorded by Alan Parsons so... for anyone who likes Pink Floyd it might have an appeal. The album is actually more eclectic than just comparing it to Muse. But, as far as comparisons go, I'd rather it be compared to Muse than Taylor Swift so I'll take it as a compliment! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ketfkGn7s0

Now, this song you may think is Muse-influenced but I think it has more in common stylistically with Lamb-era Genesis and King Crimson's Red. Plus it also has Steve Hackett guesting on guitar and drums from my old Kevin Gilbert band mate Nick D'Virgilio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfn2isuepS0

But, you are right about wasting too much time on KVR. I kind of got lured back into it because I'm genuinely excited about this plug-in. However, I can do without the shadowboxing and talking about how long my posts are. ;)

I'm always working on music though. Even while I'm getting into Sunset Sound demos and whatnot I'm still working on albums here. Not always my own albums but I'm co-producing a singer who sounds like a cross between Janis Joplin and Robert Plant and I'm also doing a duo album with Fernando Perdomo (the other guitarist on Stranded who dared to play while Steve Hackett was playing... which Tom Lord-Alge and I were SHOCKED but had to use it because... it was really good! Steve didn't mind.). So, SSSR and the studio itself will play a sonic role on those two albums and I imagine more after that but this is what's happening now... at least as far as new music goes. I'm still mixing 5.1 concert videos and for that I've been using Altiverb for a concert hall in surround that I like.
Last edited by Squids on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:20 pm
And I'm even IN my element. So not just to Dave, but well **** you all then!! Grumble grumble.

You'll regret this poor treatment when you're taking my coffee can full of ashes to scatter! :D Though for me it would be in the Atlantic, I'm 100% east coast.
Peter Theodore Hertzel loved his bowling and loved the ocean. :D

You insulted me too, ya rat bastard! :) Seriously, though, we can get a little silly and giddy or whatever but it really is exciting to me (and obviously to Dave). I know this particular studio may not mean everything to everybody, but it does have a specific allure and not to go too far down that path of the words Dave was talking about it really does capture the "mojo" quite well.

Could we do more of these? Buy T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb and there's a better chance! :) Had to get back to the topic somehow. Forgive me, my foot was clearly NOT over the line. Please do not mark this post a zero.

And yes, I do actually love the ocean (hate swimming pools, though, for whatever reason) but again I'm happier near the Atlantic.

Squids wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:23 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Peter Theodore Hertzel loved his bowling and loved the ocean. :D
Actually, if you wanna hear something funny... I'm literally walking out the door to get an In n' Out burger! I was debating whether to do it or not because it's highly unhealthy technically speaking but the ratio of how good it is to unhealthy... well if you were to look at it on a graph it would be a tough one. Also an FFT of how good it is over time might show that it decreases from the first bite to the last... yet, when in Rome! Or in LA... they don't have In N' Out in Florida so I might as well postpone the diet and... **** it dude let's go bowling! ;)

Squids I think you've used the right word to describe Static the album - eclectic. Thing is, I really don't care for eclectic :D New World was proggy, but it was proggy in a way metal era Porcupine Tree (love them too!) is proggy - it doesn't do the whole "I'M PROG, AND I'M SO PROGGY!!!! I'LL SLAP YOU ACROSS THE FACE WITH MY WEIRD HARMONIES, COMPLEX ARRANGEMENTS AND RANDOM SONG STRUCTURE, OH AND HERE'S A CHINESE MANDOLIN SOLO WITH POLYNESIAN RENAISSANCE INFLUENCES, BECAUSE I'M SO PROG!!!!" thing and instead sounds like music that an actual person would want to listen to and enjoy. That's entirely the reason I don't like, and never liked anything prog - because it feels forced and complex for the sake of complexity. Porcupine Tree (and, for example, Marillion's Marbles which is one of my favorite albums of all time) don't really feel like "prog", they only turn out to be prog once you start analyzing them. I think you've captured that very well in New World (the "prog without sounding prog" thing), but Static to me felt too... Eclectic. Like, overly, intentionally eclectic. But that's just me. Maybe AC/DC fans aren't really your target audience :)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I didn't read the whole thread... the last reverb from IKM that I've used was the reverb that (if I remember correctly) the Relab developer had created for IKM... and the reverb was really, really good.
This new reverb was developed directly by IKM or by another company? It's also not an algorithmic reverb but a convolution reverb, right?

Burillo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:07 am Squids I think you've used the right word to describe Static the album - eclectic. Thing is, I really don't care for eclectic :D New World was proggy, but it was proggy in a way metal era Porcupine Tree (love them too!) is proggy - it doesn't do the whole "I'M PROG, AND I'M SO PROGGY!!!! I'LL SLAP YOU ACROSS THE FACE WITH MY WEIRD HARMONIES, COMPLEX ARRANGEMENTS AND RANDOM SONG STRUCTURE, OH AND HERE'S A CHINESE MANDOLIN SOLO WITH POLYNESIAN RENAISSANCE INFLUENCES, BECAUSE I'M SO PROG!!!!" thing and instead sounds like music that an actual person would want to listen to and enjoy. That's entirely the reason I don't like, and never liked anything prog - because it feels forced and complex for the sake of complexity. Porcupine Tree (and, for example, Marillion's Marbles which is one of my favorite albums of all time) don't really feel like "prog", they only turn out to be prog once you start analyzing them. I think you've captured that very well in New World (the "prog without sounding prog" thing), but Static to me felt too... Eclectic. Like, overly, intentionally eclectic. But that's just me. Maybe AC/DC fans aren't really your target audience :)
Well, we are drifting off topic a bit too much at this point. I'll just say that I'm never eclectic or particularly trying to fit the genre of Prog or anything else just for the sake of it. To me, the song is always the most important thing. The performance and production is secondary to the song itself. I always start from the song and most of the time they'd work if I played and sang it from a piano or a guitar. My tastes in music are eclectic so it reflects in the music I write and could vary from song to song or album to album. But, to me, that's the beauty of being an independent music artist. You can write and record whatever you want and I do. It's never contrived for the sake of anything except to please my Muse (the other Muse). ;)

Okay... now back to the topic of Sunset Sound Studio Reverb. Tomorrow's a big day at the studio. I will be pulling out tracks from some of my songs and running them into the chambers and plates at the studio vs. the plug-in which will be streaming live and interactive with Warren Huart on his YouTube channel Produce Like A Pro. Peter can share the link. Also joining us will be Ross Hogarth who recorded Van Halen, Ziggy Marley, Doobie Brothers and many other artists. Mark Linett is coming by later in the afternoon and he might actually bring some of the multitracks from classic albums he's mixed with him which we can run through the plug-in as well and talk about it. Joe Chiccarelli might pop in for a word if he's not too busy (he was there yesterday but was in the thick of it at his studio which is on the premises). It's going to be fun and interesting for those who appreciate this stuff.

4damind wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:22 am I didn't read the whole thread... the last reverb from IKM that I've used was the reverb that (if I remember correctly) the Relab developer had created for IKM... and the reverb was really, really good.
This new reverb was developed directly by IKM or by another company? It's also not an algorithmic reverb but a convolution reverb, right?
In short, yes it's a new reverb plug-in from IKM that is a combination of convolution and physical modeling to achieve the realism of how the echo chambers, plates, spring and rooms sound behind the desk at the iconic studio Sunset Sound in LA. Lots of information on it and a demo version you can download here: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trsunsetsound/

Return to “Effects”