Xils 3 LE : The EMS VCS3 (Synthi) Emulation (On sale 9.9€)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
XILS 3 LE

XILS 3 LE : VCS3 emulation

The EMS VCS 3 (SYNTHI) is probably one of the most iconic modular synthesizers. It found its place on numerous records : From Pink Floyd -on the run- to Brian Eno, Depeche Mode, Jean-Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream, The Who, everyone loved it.

The XILS 3 LE is an authentic emulation of the VCS 3. And more. Because it also offers the famous polyphonic EMS 256 Sequencer, precise modulation intensity scaling for all matrix conexions (This alone exponentially multiply the possibilities for sound creation), and even adds a second Pin Matrix (Velocity, Mod Wheel etc), to adapt the Synthi to modern times.

March 2020 : Xils 3 LE on sale : 9.9€ instead of 34€ msrp. Xils 3 LE use a simple serial protection

The PIN MATRIX REVOLUTION ( No More Cables Anywhere )
In a modular synthesizer, you can connect any module to another one. Peter Zinovieff, the visionary synth Wizard, established with the EMS series a new way to connect modules : The Pin Matrix. Just plug a pin in the Matrix, and the connection is set. Advantages of these techniques were obvious, breathtaking : More inputs and outputs for each module. No more cables cluttering the synth panel. Easy to operate, easy to read, visualize, and build, your patch.

Some Xils 3 LE audio demos :

Peacock Jackson (Rotaphone)
Still Running (Sweep)
3 sequences (Kevin Lamb)
Zylis (Sweep)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Just purchased it , only to find out that the modulation matrix has no amount controls ( as opposed to the full version )
And there was no mention of this missing feature on the webstite
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Lotuzia wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:36 am XILS 3 LE : VCS3 emulation

precise modulation intensity scaling for all matrix conexions
How ?
Eyeball exchanging

In the le version the matrix for controlling osc. keyboard tracking is disabled
This means that fatcory patches that make use of this , can not be altered because these are made wit the full version .
And his goes vor modwheel ,velocity etc.
No mention of this on their comparison chart , nor the manual
If I would have payed full price I would be pretty pissed .

Unless these are bugs
- No extended matrix control in le
- No modulation amount ( when turning mod pin , these are triangles on the full version )
Eyeball exchanging

I bought this a few years ago when they had a similar offer. I've just loaded it and the extended matrix is appearing. Looking at the website, a new beta was released yesterday and made available in the download section. Maybe it's a new bug? The version I'm using is pretty recent.

onerob wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:08 pm I bought this a few years ago when they had a similar offer. I've just loaded it and the extended matrix is appearing. Looking at the website, a new beta was released yesterday and made available in the download section. Maybe it's a new bug? The version I'm using is pretty recent.
O.K. this seems to be a bug in 2.5.2
And what about modulation amount ?
Not possible in 2.0.3
Eyeball exchanging

I wonder how this compares to the Computer Music version.
Last edited by Local Man on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double post because I am a dumb man.

Local Man wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:43 pm I wonder how this compares to the Computer Music version.
I think they're the same ...

EDIT: it appears there are a couple of differences (see below) :oops:
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So now I am on the previous version only to find out xils le goes silent when rendering a selection to sample ( in renoise )
Eyeball exchanging

Bugs fixed within a few hours

kudos to xils labs :tu:
Eyeball exchanging

I have forwarded all these questions to Xils-Lab.

As some of you might already know, when you intall the Xils 3 AND if the Xils 3 LE was already installed, the Xils 3 will replace the LE versions (i.e not only replace the LE in all your daw projects, but also it won't show anymore in the DAW's plugin list). While this behaviour is certainly the best for all users in almost all cases, I can't see/open it anymore in my daws, and thereferore, adress some of the questions asked here.

to GCD : Regarding presets however I can give a precise answer : All the LE factory presets, and/or presets available in the Xilssentials soundset (also on sale) have been totally programmed in the Xils 3 LE, and not on the Xils 3 or Xils 4). The rule is : A preset made on the Xils 3 LE will be 100% compatible with the Xils 3/4 (and will be automatically/immediatly available in the Xils3/4 if you upgrade to these versions). The reverse isn't true.

Regarding node mod scaling : Not certain, but I seem to remember that when I programmed my patches for LE or Xilssentials, it was not available at this time. Were they added later ? I'll have to confirm this

I'll give additionnal info asap.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:28 am Bugs fixed within a few hours

kudos to xils labs :tu:
Great :) Any additionnal info about mod scaling ?

Local Man wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:43 pm I wonder how this compares to the Computer Music version.
There's a comparison chart here: https://www.xils-lab.com/products/xils-3-le-p-151.html

Pretty similar but poly seq in LE version, CM version can't be used as an effect plugin etc.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Return to “Instruments”