Sylenth vs Serum?? please read

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Serum Sylenth1

Or maybe 20 other combos.

Choose one, learn it, win!
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:42 am
mschenkel wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:36 am
Passing Bye wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 pm OP never implied he needs one stop solution or that he is into complex sound design, he is into music that was made with Sylenth for entire decade, before Serum existed and before wavatables, mseg's and etc were big of a deal.

He/she actually did...rofl
Where exactly?
kavin2134 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm i know people hate this question, between synths. but this is not one of those, i think. So i make progressive house and trance. For these genres , i wanted to buy my first vst synth. i came down to these two as i had to take the rent2own route. I am actually kinda fixed to sylenth for the ease and the quality of sound that it can produce and is perfect for this genre i believe. but serum ,many people have told is versatile for the more modern genres if i move to them, which fairly i do not want to. People argue that serum can make everything that sylenth can make. So help me guys. Is serum really good for my genres and give me that warm classic sound that im looking for (in addition to being able to make more modern things) or am i better off with going with sylenth as a first synth which is also cheaper.
He's buying his first synth, never mentions it's his last one and never mentions complex sound design, but clearly states his genre and sound preference, which both goes in Sylenth's favor.
Kinda pretty much sums it up . After looking at ANA2 from the suggestions, now im kinda confused. what should i do ? sylenth or ana2+synthmaster1. i also found sylenth on the buy/sell for around 60 euros,So i realy dont know what to do. the ANA2+SM1 is just a little bit more pricey

revvy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:06 am Or maybe 20 other combos.

Choose one, learn it, win!
I think youre right and thats what i need to do

If there's more than 2 options... while it's not my overall favorite, it's hard to beat ANA2 for ~$55 right now. If you want to "tone it down", I'd also look at the Kush Audio Omega TWK (or one of the others) to add some top quality saturation/distortion for relatively cheap, so it can sound cutting modern without, a little more analog with. I don't know that I'd get Synthmaster in addition - one or the other until you learn what you want, and if you want to double-down in that direction or to get something very different. I'd also get Valhalla Delay.

But, yes, pick one and learn it before adding another synth.

ANA2 $56
Valhalla Delay $50 and/of Valhalla Vintage Verb $50
Kush TWK $29

Just some ideas.

kavin2134 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm So i make progressive house and trance. For these genres , i wanted to buy my first vst synth.
kavin2134 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:01 am Also trance is just very rare for me. so i dont think i need virus/ its emulations as much.
Can you name a few artists you like? Maybe it will be easier to find out what hardware/software they're using on your favorite albums.

For example, if someone asks how to get that Vangelis sound ITB, people will point him/her at existing CS-80 and 224XL emulations.
Last edited by izonin on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sylenth sounds way better. Serum filters are so weak, that you cannot even compare them.

I do not have Serum, but I do have many of the others listed here. Maybe it's just me, but Sylenth1 has something slightly different in its sound I just can't get from other synths. After it was released a few other plugins came out that seemed to be similar but with a few more features added. On the other hand, I still like all of them or I wouldn't keep 'em installed on the PC. :)

Sylenth1 still has one of the best supersaws out there. There are some synths which sound a bit heavier and beefier though. Sylenth1 lacks a bit in the lower registers (especially compared to something like Spire. Compared to that, Sylenth1 is more or less useless for bass sound, if you don't dial in EQ, or layer a sine below). Not the most pristine, crystal clear synth either. What sounds very good is the filter drive though. Haven't heard that in many other synths.

Synthmaster 1 and 2 for $69.

https://www.kv331audio.com/bundles.aspx

Check out the soundcloud examples for your genres. Try a demo.

A topic started from a couple years ago about Sylenth1:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=509757

izonin wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:34 am
kavin2134 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm So i make progressive house and trance. For these genres , i wanted to buy my first vst synth.
kavin2134 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:01 am Also trance is just very rare for me. so i dont think i need virus/ its emulations as much.
Can you name a few artists you like? Maybe it will be easier to find out what hardware/software they're using on your favorite albums.

For example, if someone asks how to get that Vangelis sound ITB, people will point him/her at existing CS-80 and 224XL emulations.
I kinda guessed that this would come up. So if you're asking what kinda artists' sounds I am trying to replicate, it is Alesso, SHM and post 2013 Armin van Buuren

kavin2134 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:36 pm I kinda guessed that this would come up. So if you're asking what kinda artists' sounds I am trying to replicate, it is Alesso, SHM and post 2013 Armin van Buuren
Basically you can do that with nearly any softsynth out there...

The trick is the nike slogan: just do it...
And if you roll the dice if you cannot decide but don´t hesitate any longer because you cannot go wrong with either ... everything else is learning how to use it properly...

As always genius is 1 % inspiration and 99% transpiration... take the 1% as which one you pick up and the 99% the skills you want to achieve... even a simple synth like Sylenth will keep you busy for years if you want to be able to use it to it´s max...

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

claudedefaren wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:16 pm If you're considering ANA 2 now, I should say that in terms of sound quality,

Sylenth & Hive > ANA 2 > Serum > Synthmaster
I don’t often facepalm but when I do...
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”