Mixing Headphones

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:41 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:33 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:45 am Sonarworks Headphone.
It doesn't work for me. It makes very crackly sound, and thereafter (after i uninstalled) i still have very crackly sound from internet but not Windows Media Player.
Sorry, i think it is the new Microsoft Edge which is causing the problem not Sonarworks Headphone.
Sorry, it does seem to cause crackly sound.

I wanted it to work.

I was gonna buy this

https://www.thomann.de/gb/avantone_mixc ... _cream.htm

and i was very much looking forward to my 21 day demo of this software.

Burillo wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:55 pm am i missing something? how does one do "sound demos" of the headphones without actually having them?
yeah.. I was thinking the same thing :lol:
I was leaning toward the Jubilee's but I'm beginning to realize a lot of the raving reviews are from gamers... kinda worrying, lol. Starting to think maybe they aren't an option.
Anyone have experience with the DT880's by Beyerdynamic?

i have DT880's. they're very nice. a little bass light, and there are a couple of hills and valleys here and there, but they're great and very comfy. i would recommend them in a heartbeat. keep in mind that they're semi-open, so they feel entirely differently from closed headphones.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm headphones. Wow, what a difference. I have spent the last couple of weeks remixing/remastering several projects. I can't believe how many little nuances I have been missing by using a cheap pair of AKG's. I HIGHLY recommend them, they make them in different ohm ratings if your headphone amp/interface/mixer/console doesn't have the output for the 250 ohm version. My setup has no problem amplifying them enough for my tastes/needs. I'm not sure I would recommend them for tracking, but mixing and referencing while mastering, hell yeah.

Captngeetch wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:47 pm I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm headphones. Wow, what a difference. I have spent the last couple of weeks remixing/remastering several projects. I can't believe how many little nuances I have been missing by using a cheap pair of AKG's. I HIGHLY recommend them, they make them in different ohm ratings if your headphone amp/interface/mixer/console doesn't have the output for the 250 ohm version. My setup has no problem amplifying them enough for my tastes/needs. I'm not sure I would recommend them for tracking, but mixing and referencing while mastering, hell yeah.
Yeah, I'm looking to use them specifically for mixing.
After you remixed projects, have you listened to them over car radio, phone & earbuds, etc? Does it still sound good?

Captngeetch wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:47 pm I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm headphones. Wow, what a difference. I have spent the last couple of weeks remixing/remastering several projects. I can't believe how many little nuances I have been missing by using a cheap pair of AKG's. I HIGHLY recommend them, they make them in different ohm ratings if your headphone amp/interface/mixer/console doesn't have the output for the 250 ohm version. My setup has no problem amplifying them enough for my tastes/needs. I'm not sure I would recommend them for tracking, but mixing and referencing while mastering, hell yeah.
Also, these vs the open back DT990s? I'm curious as to whether people fine closed-back more.. hmm "limiting"? Because the sound is so "in your head" vs open backs which kind of create a sense of space so to say.

Hana Suarez wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:28 pm Also, these vs the open back DT990s? I'm curious as to whether people fine closed-back more.. hmm "limiting"? Because the sound is so "in your head" vs open backs which kind of create a sense of space so to say.
I don't think you can judge too much from asking others how these phones sound, you will have to do a shootout by yourself honestly. But to answer your specific question: yes, there is a big difference in how you perceive the sound from open and closed back headphones. I am very happy with the AKG 712 Pro open headphones; the sound feels much more natural in them than in my earlier closed back headphones. Open are also easier on the ears (ie less fatigue) if you listen for a long time, at least that is my opinion.

In another thread like this one from perhaps two years ago, I showed some pitch correction images from TB MorphIt. There you can see what they feel needs to be corrected EQ-wise for several of the headphones mentioned above.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Found it!
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=530353&hilit=880
I think this is the most exhaustive thread on headphones for mixing here at KVR. There is also a thread of 50 (!) pages - 500 posts! - somewhere at Gearslutz, but I cannot remember that it brought me more info, really.

Most users would advice you to purchase headphones you like and get to learn how they translate, maybe using correction tools (Sonarworks or MorphIt) and maybe using CanOpener. What is "correct" also has to do with your specific hearing and, of course, taste. So: I hear my mixes (and individual sounds when shaping them) better with my 712's, but people at KVR say they are better balanced when I make the mixes "correct" in my (cheaper) Sony 7506's. Thus, I create and mix my music with the 712's, then balance the mix with the 7506's (and the traditional means as well of course, but I mean specific to headphone mixing).
Go MuLab!

I've been using Krk KNS 6400 for like 5 or 6 years. Not the most comfortable but the sound is great, and are very very durable.
If you the chance try them.

For mixing I'd suggest Beyerdynamic DT 990's. I like 770's for tracking.

SparkySpark wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:18 pm people at KVR say they are better balanced when I make the mixes "correct" in my (cheaper) Sony 7506's
I love 7506, great classic so underestimated.

For open back cans, I would tell OP to go and try Beyerdynamics, 990 or (maybe better) 880, semiopened.
Choose the perfect headphones is a very subjective thing, just like monitors.

I love the Beyerdynamic DT 770

Open vs closed headphones is really something to consider. Closed, of course, give better sound isolation, but open usually are more comfortable to wear for longer sessions (apart from any sound differences). And as suggested, getting something like Sonarworks to calibrate the sound for the headphones you get, and emulate other headphones, can be a good idea.

UtopiaAudio wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:02 am Open vs closed headphones is really something to consider. Closed, of course, give better sound isolation, but open usually are more comfortable to wear for longer sessions (apart from any sound differences). And as suggested, getting something like Sonarworks to calibrate the sound for the headphones you get, and emulate other headphones, can be a good idea.
Yes, agreeing with all of this. The most important matter though (in my view) is that open-back sound more natural, as the sound seems to originate outside your head (well, it does, ...or maybe sound does just exist as the air vibrations are interpreted by the ear drums... :-? but you get what I mean...) So, for me, open-back is much preferred (plus whatever closed-back for laying down vocal tracks).
Go MuLab!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”