Melodya topic (was Melodya v1.0 announced...)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Melodya

Attila ...

Sorry, I can't stop! Melodyna is wonderful, but the more I dig in, the more questions arise. I'll try to stick with the most pertinent. BTW, it would help if the pages of the User Guide were numbered so it would be easy to reference with a question.

1. Is there any way to add bars after the initial generation? I know you can change the number of originally generated bars from the Generation Options/ Global page, but it would be nice to be able to change the bars on the current melody you are working on either by entering a new end bar number or using a multiplier, e.g., X2, X4, etc.

For that matter, for the purpose of looping a section in sync with a DAW, it would be even greater if you could add both a different beginning bar number and end bar number! For example, a four bar section beginning at bar 17 and ending at bar 21 directly in the Melodyna GUI. That way with multiple instances of Melodyna in your project you could easily work and loop in different sections of your song in conjunction with any chord changes in your composition. I don't know if that would be possible, but certainly it would be fantastic.

2. I expected if I clicked on a motif letter in a section, 'A' for an example, that it would only change the motif or rhythm in that section, but it appears to make changes in all sections using the 'A,' or whatever motif/ rhythm letter is selected. Is that the intended behavior. If so, it would be nice to add a key stroke to limit the change to only that section instead of in all identical motif sections.

There is a section in the User Guide titled 'Generation Settings (For a Section), but I couldn't find in the manual how to access it. Mousing around, I finally succeeded by Right Clicking on the color bar set by the selected motif letter. Access to parameter settings needs better direction in the guide.

And in conjunction with the 'Generation Settings (For a Section)' along with what I posted earlier, it would be nice to be able to save specific presets both globally (locking a set of 8 motifs and/ or rhythms) and individually to apply to any of the 8 possible motifs or rhythms for use with different styles of music.

I think that's enough for now. Well, maybe way more than enough! :D
Last edited by como baila on Wed May 13, 2020 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

For your 2) above.. Yea, something I forgot to point out in the user guide video, if you click on the colored circle representing a motive, it will re-generate that motive.. So, it will re-generate all the "A's", etc..

BluGenes wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:14 pm For your 2) above.. Yea, something I forgot to point out in the user guide video, if you click on the colored circle representing a motive, it will re-generate that motive.. So, it will re-generate all the "A's", etc..
Thanks ...

So, yes, it would definitely be desirable to have a simple method to just regenerate a single section, when clicking on the motif letter instead of having all the sections using that motif regenerate. I believe the Cntrl key regenerates both the motif and rhythm ... but there are lots of extra keys or key combinations. I haven't studied the key strokes yet, but that's coming up.

I haven't seen the video. Is the link on the main Music Development page?

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

como baila wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:31 pm
So, yes, it would definitely be desirable to have a simple method to just regenerate a single section, when clicking on the motif letter instead of having all the sections using that motif regenerate. I believe the Cntrl key regenerates both the motif and rhythm ... but there are lots of extra keys or key combinations. I haven't studied the key strokes yet, but that's coming up.

I haven't seen the video. Is the link on the main Music Development page?
It's actually part of RC v4.0 in the beta, but, for the most part, it is the same as the VST..

On the main Musicdevelopments web site, under support, videos v3 are the videos.. There is also a forum thread on the user guide in the tricks and tips forum..

In RC, it's called the "Melody Editor", as opposed to the VST Version..

This is the link to the link..
viewtopic.php?p=7698399#p7698399

BluGenes wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:24 am
It's actually part of RC v4.0 in the beta, but, for the most part, it is the same as the VST..

On the main Musicdevelopments web site, under support, videos v3 are the videos.. There is also a forum thread on the user guide in the tricks and tips forum..

In RC, it's called the "Melody Editor", as opposed to the VST Version..

This is the link to the link..
viewtopic.php?p=7698399#p7698399
Hey! Thanks for hookin' me up!

Your videos are awesome. You sound SoCal West Coast?

I'm really excited about Melodyna. I'm more comfortable in a DAW and I love single purpose MIDI tools to augment recordings and loops when working on projects.

Best regards from Idyllwild, SoCal.

To say it in a concise way, I am pretty sure looping or any playback in the DAW is locked to the DAW timeline. There must be a bar of equal number in Melodyna for it to play at that measure in the DAW host.

So, are we talking about the same thing or were you hoping Melodyna could keep looping its bars even when the DAW was simply playing without looping?
Good morning Como Balia.

Many thanks for your advice, i made the loop lengths equal and Melodya is now looping with Reaper! :)
Strictly drum and bass

Melodya v1.06 was uploaded today with LOTS of small fixes and some improvements! :)
  • The scale can be saved to and restored from the presets (new setting added)
  • MIDI import bug fixed; scale is set automatically according to the imported MIDI file
  • Send individual 'note off' events instead of 'all notes off' as some instruments produced hanging notes when stopping playback
  • Occasional UI redraw issues fixed
  • Internal rework to improve stability
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Megawattt wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 am
To say it in a concise way, I am pretty sure looping or any playback in the DAW is locked to the DAW timeline. There must be a bar of equal number in Melodyna for it to play at that measure in the DAW host.

So, are we talking about the same thing or were you hoping Melodyna could keep looping its bars even when the DAW was simply playing without looping?
Good morning Como Balia.

Many thanks for your advice, i made the loop lengths equal and Melodya is now looping with Reaper! :)
Megawatt ... You're welcome. Your problem was what I was thinking might be happening.

Also, someone in an earlier post requested that the Melodyna looping be free of or disconnected from the DAW timeline transport, presumably to let Melodyna loop anywhere in the DAW timeline. I can't see how that could work because then how could you ever sync up?

What I thought of and suggested above to Atilla ... if it's possible ... is that you could have a place in Melodyna to enter start bars and end bars instead of having it only be able to start at bar 1. That way you could keep a little 4 or 8 bar workspace in the Melodyna GUI where you wouldn't have to zoom around to see what you wanted to work on. Of course, behind the scenes within Melodyna the bars before beginning with bar one would have to be present someway to lock to transport of the DAW, but such feature would be really handy!

Theoretically you can already do this, but the work around is a PITA. For example, say you wanted to introduce 8 bars of a synth melody beginning at bar 25. You would simply go to the lightening bolt icon and right click to access the Global tab and enter 32 bars for your song. After you created it, you could mute sections 1 thru 24 so it would only start playing at bar 25. You now have the ability to loop bars 25 thru 32 (I said thru, not to!) and work on your section.

But how much better if you could simply enter start and end bars directly?

Hi como baila,

I added your feature request to my to-do list. The way it works: the DAW controls the looping and the plug-in is following blindly. In theory it could be done that looping is independent of the DAW but it gets complicated when the DAW and plug-in have separate loop points...

I still like your signature with RapidComposer :tu:
Attila

Cannot load v 1.0.6 VST3 in Studio One 4 ("S1"), Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra — consistently crashes S1 when instantiating it in S1 (tried three times in a row, no such problem with other plugins)

musicdevelopments wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:57 pm Hi como baila,

I added your feature request to my to-do list. The way it works: the DAW controls the looping and the plug-in is following blindly. In theory it could be done that looping is independent of the DAW but it gets complicated when the DAW and plug-in have separate loop points...

I still like your signature with RapidComposer :tu:
Attila
Attila ...

Thanks as always for your consideration for 'to do.'

I am not sure I am explaining my concept clearly. I am not asking for the DAW and Melodya to loop separately. Personally I cannot think of any reason why I would want that as whatever part Melodyna is producing in my opinion would only make sense in the context of a section in the DAW.

Let me try once more to hopefully make it clearer. The way the DAW timeline and looping works is a given, so I will ignore that.

I open Melodnya and by default I see a 4 bar workspace. That workspace always starts at bar 1, whether the work space is 4, 8, 16, etc. bars long. Personally, 95% of the time an 8 bar work space would be perfect.

However, if I loop by the DAW transport I can only loop the Melodya work space from bar 1 to however many bars I've chosen for my work space. If I match the loop space of the DAW to that length in Melodyna everything will loop perfectly.

But I don't want to use Melodyna in the first 8 bars of my DAW project. I want to use it from bar 25 thru 32. So I can't loop Melodyna's length in sync with the Daw where I want to use it. I'd have to chop out that section of the DAW, move it to bar one and work and then later re-insert the section at the correct place in my project. And that is not only an awkward workflow but doubly so if later I wanted to tweak something of Melodyna's part in that section. Or, as I reported for a workaround, if it was a 120 bar project set Melodyna up to create a 120 bar melody and mute out sections I wanted silent. I haven't tested how many bars it can generate yet, but if it did, after the initial tedium of muting a lot of sections, I guess this could work fine. (Hey, there's an idea! A universal mute for all sections so you could turn on sections only in the places you wanted Melodyna to work.)

I can of course drag Melodyna's MIDI to a track in that section and then play it in sync with the DAW, but I am no longer using the tools in Melodyna. It is just static MIDI that may or may not function as I imagined it when it was looping in Melodyna with the DAW transport stopped.

So I imagine two scenarios. In one Melodya reads how many bars the DAW project already has. In the other I enter the value of the number of bars somewhere in Melodyna.

Now Melodyna has the information to loop at any point in the DAW project as the number of bars are the same.

What is needed next it to be able to enter the value of the bar where I want my 8 bars of Melodyna to be able to loop with my project. So I enter 25 for bar 25. When I now generate my 8 bar melody it is generated beginning at bar 25 and ending at bar 33 instead of starting at bar 1 and ending at bar 9. When I see my work space open it reports the section beginning at bar 25 instead of bar 1 and otherwise all else in the work space is the same.

So, this is not Melodyna looping freely from the DAW. It is Melodyna looping where I want it to loop in the DAW project.

I hope this is clear.

PS ... As the years pass, I'm not sure how well i'm 'getting down' these days. 8)

Attila ...

I imagine you and your beta team have a lot of ideas for Melodyna's future development. But let me throw out some other grist for the mill.

Quite excellent and supremely useful would be a CC lane at the bottom of the work space GUI where you could select different CCs one at a time and in the lane have vertical sliders under each note to adjust the selected CC parameter for that note.

Good morning Attila.

I Yesterday i downloaded Melodya v1.06 and so far it has been very stable in Reaper and Orion :) but in Orion the looping problem is still happening where the melody plays once and no more until i stop and start Orion's play button again, please Attila is it possible that a fix can be done for this problem as Orion is my main DAW (You mentioned something earlier about a monitoring version of Melodya for testing) , thank you again for the hard work you have put into Melodya.
Strictly drum and bass

Hi David,

I can load v1.0.6 VST3 without problems in S1 4 (macOS 10.14).
Will you try renaming or removing the settings file in ~/Documents/Melodya/Settings?
Also, if you can locate any crash dumps, will you send them to me in e-mail? It would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Attila
dbender wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:43 pm Cannot load v 1.0.6 VST3 in Studio One 4 ("S1"), Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra — consistently crashes S1 when instantiating it in S1 (tried three times in a row, no such problem with other plugins)

musicdevelopments wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:03 am
Intro offer: order Melodya for $39 until May 15!

More info: www.musicdevelopments.com
FYI Link on first page is broken, I'm sure we can all figure it out but I did just try to use it. :)

Glad to see the sale is extended, thank you!!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”