Bitwig and eye strain

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm trying to sort out a problem, but my knowledge is not enough even to understand the direction in which to seek a solution. Maybe someone will have some ideas.
I have sensitive eyes that quickly get tired and begin to hurt from the monitor. Of course, the problem is primarily in the eyes, but it also depends on the software. With some software, I can work for hours without any problems, and from some, my eyes get tired in a few minutes. There is a forum for people with a similar problem with the eyes, they often describe the same problem with some software, but the reason is not clear.
Unfortunately, Bitwig became such an unsuccessful program for me. And this is strange because overall it is visually comfortable. A clear, comfortable interface.
For a long time, I believed that the reason for this was the light area of arranger and piano roll (Bitwig definitely needs a dark theme and given how easy it is to implement, I don’t understand why developers refuse to do it. Well, this topic is about something else.) But it seems that the problem is not only this.
Many times I tried to use only the dark areas in Bitwig (for example, only Grid, or only the clip area), but my eyes also get tired very quickly. In fact, it’s very rare that some kind of software causes me so quick eye fatigue. And I don’t understand why. Visually, Bitwig has one of the most comfortable interfaces that I know.
The forum for people with problematic eyes believes that as a rule a problem is at a technical level, in the graphical shell of the software itself. As far as I understand, the graphic shell is Bitwig use Java and this distinguishes it from other DAWs. I thought that maybe this has something to do with my problem? Any specific property of graphics in Java (dithering, frame rate, or something like that. I have no idea what, I don’t know anything about that). Maybe someone has any ideas on this? It would be especially helpful to know the opinion of the developers. I really do not want to move to another DAW, they all seem too limited compared to Bitwig.

-JH

JHernandez wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 am Try support: https://www.bitwig.com/en/support/tech-support.html
Hi, thanks, but I don't think it would help. Obviously they are not going (and I don't think they could) investigate the reason I have eye strain. I'm just decided to ask here in case anyone (maybe someone who knows how Java works) has any ideas (and of course I understand what the chances are low).

Very unlikely anything to do with Java. Bitwig is very contrasty and that may be doing it. Try adjusting the mid/black levels in the settings.
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

The many bright colors Bitwig uses. Especially in the grid. You probably notice the difference between reading/viewing the red items and the blueish ones for example. Your eyes has to adjust every time they look at the differen bright colors on a black background.(For me the red color is difficult to read. The other colors are fine) Many devices outside the grid have the same issue with lots of colors.

Try setting your monitor to a lower saturation so the colors are not so bright, and see if your eyestrain reduces.

sth wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 am Very unlikely anything to do with Java. Bitwig is very contrasty and that may be doing it. Try adjusting the mid/black levels in the settings.
thank you, yes, of course, I tried and it helps a little but does not resolve the problem. although the contrast still could be the reason, I'll try to experiment with a monitor/video card settings.
Rivanni wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:31 am The many bright colors Bitwig uses. Especially in the grid. You probably notice the difference between reading/viewing the red items and the blueish ones for example. Your eyes has to adjust every time they look at the differen bright colors on a black background. Many devices outside the grid have the same issue.

Try setting your monitor to a lower saturation so the colors are not so bright, and see if your eyestrain reduces.
sounds reasonable and reducing monitor saturation definitely helps (not only for Bitwig), I always use such settings, but there is some other reason. The colors, yeah I'm sure it could be one of the factors but still, there is something else.
I created this topic after I just opened Bitwig, closed all the light parts in it, left the clip launcher and used it for several minutes.
And the eyes became very ill. Just a few minutes. In Studio One, I can work for several hours (but it's so boring). I don’t understand why this is happening. But you are both right and I should still experiment with the settings.

warcat wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:07 am
JHernandez wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 am Try support: https://www.bitwig.com/en/support/tech-support.html
Hi, thanks, but I don't think it would help. Obviously they are not going (and I don't think they could) investigate the reason I have eye strain. I'm just decided to ask here in case anyone (maybe someone who knows how Java works) has any ideas (and of course I understand what the chances are low).
Sorry, I didn't say but I meant you should ask them about the how java works and or other technical details. They would know.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:02 am
warcat wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:07 am
Sorry, I didn't say but I meant you should ask them about the how java works and or other technical details in Bitwig. They would know.
-JH

Every color you see is a specific design choice (or derivative) from the Bitwig designers. It of course,
has nothing to do with java. Anyway, try adjusting you monitor brightness, sat, contrast etc. If that
fails, I believe there are overlays that you can run that basically throw up a color filter between you
and your video card's output. Also there are accessibility options in your OS that might help, depending
on the problem.

Two more ideas that may be factors:
- Zoom / interface scaling: have you tried simply increasing the size of Bitwig's interface?
- Familiarity. If you know the Studio One UI inside out, that'll make it less straining to navigate, as opposed to one that's less familiar and therefore requires you to actually read/parse the UI elements to understand what they mean or do.

Another thing that you probably would've already tried is simply reducing the brightness of your screen. Most people run their monitors at a way too high brightness because it makes things pop, irrespective of how straining that is to their eyes.

warcat wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 am ...(Bitwig definitely needs a dark theme...

Funny thing: for me Bitwig is too dark, and i sent them request for light theme. I sometimes choose to work in different DAW that i can has lighter theme or adjustment.

I would like to see something like this: (someone else's POC)

But would bee also nice to have theme's adjustment, so user can have more settings than just contrast. Right now you can adjust contrast in Settings.

Put on your sunglasses. Don't you guys get enough sunshine or so?
Just kidding but that's horrible. Talk about eye strain...

warcat wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 amThere is a forum for people with a similar problem with the eyes, they often describe the same problem with some software, but the reason is not clear.
Probably a combination of colours, brightness, contrast & movement makes some software more prone to elicit such reaction.

Do you feel any difference if you display the same software - Bitwig in this case - on other screen, i.e. different monitor? laptop screen? TV? What display you're using currently, i.e. size, resolution, refresh rate? Are you sure it's set properly, i.e. your computer's resolution & refresh rate are matched with the screen? Is it calibrated properly, not warped in any way?

Can't say I share your condition, but I've noticed that the sharper the image and the higher the refresh rate, the less tired my eyes are. I suppose there's some subconscious effort that the eyes make trying to improve the imperfect and very limited (moving) pictures on the screen, to match the "infinite" resolution & framerate of reality.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I believe you can buy screen filters for your monitor to reduce eye strain. There are also blue light blocking glasses made for using with computer screens to reduce eye strain.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Yeah agree with all the above comments. I've noticed that better quality (such as high end graphics displays) give me less eye strain, unsure if its the output (less blue light?) or just less distortion/blur?
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

Return to “Bitwig”