Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

photonic wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 am Hi all,

I found Odin2 some weeks ago and after making some presets I saw the great potential of this synth. I like to have aftertouch (or channel pressure) for more expression to bring more live into the sound. Now I tried to make a short track to see how the sounds blend together in a production. I only used Odin2, with some gentle touch of EQ and a ton of reverb :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-ambient-style

Have fun!
If you're the same guy that posted a link on YouTube, you inspired me to give it a go. I'm working on something now. :wink:

Erisian wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:24 pm
Tannaliini wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:19 pm Should there be some factory sound bank with the Odin 2? I have no presets with the installed Odin2...
No, we are all creating presets that will become the official soundbank when the finished version is released.

There is a link in this post to some of those that have been made by people.
viewtopic.php?p=7751296#p7751296
Thanks, good to know (I was thinking I installed it wrong) :)

Woa how did I miss this synth ? I downloaded the Beta today thinking "meh it's probably just another synth ho hum" but boom after a couple of minutes with Odin 2 it has a sound that I really find enjoyable. It can be quite powerful. :o

All the Osc types are great fun, the filters are nice. Very impressive especially for being in a beta state.

I've already created a dozen patches for it and have but scratched the surface. Well done! :tu:

Has anyone figured out how to route the Mod Wheel to do Vibrato ? I must be missing something.

Also is it me or is Legato not working as expected ? I'll definitely be working more with Odin 2! :D
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Erisian wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 pm
photonic wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 am ... I only used Odin2, with some gentle touch of EQ and a ton of reverb :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-ambient-style

Have fun!
If you're the same guy that posted a link on YouTube, you inspired me to give it a go. I'm working on something now. :wink:
No, I'm not this guy. The above link to my demo track was the first thing I posted about Odin2 on the web.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Teksonik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:23 am ...
Has anyone figured out how to route the Mod Wheel to do Vibrato ? I must be missing something.
This is a bit tricky, because you need to understand what the "Scale" is for in the matrix.
Put one of the LFOs as "Source". Increase the amount to about "10" and use as "Destination" your desired OSC, for example "OSC1 Pitch Lin". And then you have to set "Scale" on the right side of the matrix to "Mod Wheel" and the amout of it to "100". Now you can control the vibrato with the wheel.
Without "Scale" you will have the modulation allways audible.

Whenever one of your modulation does not work, try to set a proper "Scale" for it. Most of the time it will work!

Hi, it's me again :wink:

Here is my second demo track for Odin2. This time not a real composition. I collected my drum and percussion sounds I made so far and put them together to a groove, like you can use in soundtrack or trailer music or similar. Again only gentle EQ , some compression and reverb used. TURN IT LOUD!

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-drum-style

Have fun!

:tu: :love:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

photonic wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:26 am Hi, it's me again :wink:

Here is my second demo track for Odin2. This time not a real composition. I collected my drum and percussion sounds I made so far and put them together to a groove, like you can use in soundtrack or trailer music or similar. Again only gentle EQ , some compression and reverb used. TURN IT LOUD!

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-drum-style

Have fun!
Wow, that sounds amazing! :clap:

Can you please give some tips on how you achieved this big sound? Did you use several instances of Odin2 (slightly shifted) for the drums that can be heard right from the start? Or is it mostly created by delay and reverb?
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

BlitBit wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:42 am ...
Can you please give some tips on how you achieved this big sound? Did you use several instances of Odin2 (slightly shifted) for the drums that can be heard right from the start? Or is it mostly created by delay and reverb?
Glad you like it ! :)

In the begin you hear my Taiko drums. You are right, there are four instances. Two for the right and two for the left channel. The two on each channel do not play the same, they are complementing each other for the groove. But right and left channel play the same. BUT !!!! Nothing is quantized. Just correct the very sloppy notes roughly. If you want to sound big and like many drummers or musicians are playing together you need this tiny time difference between the hits. If I quantize this track, the feeling is lost. And use volume automation! This brings life into it!!!

I used the same idea, but more extreme, on the marching drums. Here I played with the flat hand slamming the keyboard. So I get 5 or 6 hits of the marching snare per hand, but due to the tiny differnce it sounds like a short roll or like more than one drummer!

The rest is reverb, no delay. BTW it was the new free and awesome Supermassive by Valhalla :wink:

Teksonik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:23 am Also is it me or is Legato not working as expected ? I'll definitely be working more with Odin 2! :D
If you mean that old notes don't sound again after you release a newer key but still hold the old one:
Yeah that one is a known issue!

Don't forget to send those patches my way if you want to contribute to the patch library. If you want to be credited, name them "Crazy Lead [Teksonik]"

photonic wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:26 am Hi, it's me again :wink:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2 ... tyle</span>

Have fun!
Love it! Are those patches you sent me? (I still havent had time to listen, sorry :oops: ). If not I want them now ;-)

photonic wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:38 am
BlitBit wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:42 am ...
Glad you like it ! :)

In the begin you hear my Taiko drums. You are right, there are four instances. Two for the right and two for the left channel. The two on each channel do not play the same, they are complementing each other for the groove. But right and left channel play the same. BUT !!!! Nothing is quantized. Just correct the very sloppy notes roughly. If you want to sound big and like many drummers or musicians are playing together you need this tiny time difference between the hits. If I quantize this track, the feeling is lost. And use volume automation! This brings life into it!!!
Thanks for the breakdown! :) Yes, perfect quantization would make it sound like a bunch of robots playing Taiku drums which would be quite bor(in)g. :borg:
photonic wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:38 am I used the same idea, but more extreme, on the marching drums. Here I played with the flat hand slamming the keyboard. So I get 5 or 6 hits of the marching snare per hand, but due to the tiny differnce it sounds like a short roll or like more than one drummer!
One more question with regards to the snares: is it one instance that is quickly (re)triggered repeatedly by the hand slamming on the different keys or is it several instances of snares that are triggered by different keys (and that can therefore play out completely)?
photonic wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:38 am The rest is reverb, no delay. BTW it was the new free and awesome Supermassive by Valhalla :wink:
Cool! I got Supermassive a few days ago. It's indeed an awesome and and very generous freebie by Valhalla. I guess it will also show up a lot in future OSCs.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Love it! Are those patches you sent me? (I still havent had time to listen, sorry :oops: ). If not I want them now ;-)
I sent the latest version of all of my presets now to you. Look in your e-mails!

One more question with regards to the snares: is it one instance that is quickly (re)triggered repeatedly by the hand slamming on the different keys or is it several instances of snares that are triggered by different keys (and that can therefore play out completely)?
Just one instant to answer your question. But I did it twice for right and left channel.
The snare in the drum set is of course just one hit and one instant.

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 am
Teksonik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:23 am Also is it me or is Legato not working as expected ? I'll definitely be working more with Odin 2! :D
If you mean that old notes don't sound again after you release a newer key but still hold the old one:
Sounds good :)
It also looks like the envelopes always go back to the attack stage when playing a new note?
Would be cool if one could toggle the behavior on each envelope, so that they stay in their current stage when playing legato notes, and only go back to attack stage when there's a gap between notes.

Also thanks to photonic for the drum sounds and explaining how to achieve the big sound with them!
Looking forward to see how the patches for those actually work :tu:

photonic wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:22 am This is a bit tricky, because you need to understand what the "Scale" is for in the matrix.
Ok thanks I'll give that a go. I was looking for something like "LFO Amplitude" as a destination. :)
TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 am If you mean that old notes don't sound again after you release a newer key but still hold the old one:
Yes that's what I mean. I just thought i would report it in case it wasn't already a known issue. :)
photonic wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:22 amDon't forget to send those patches my way if you want to contribute to the patch library. If you want to be credited, name them "Crazy Lead [Teksonik]"
Ok will do let me tweak them a bit. I usually tag my patches like this: "Syn Bass 01 Tek" that way it doesn't make the patch name too long. Would you like the brackets around [Tek] ? :D
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”