Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OP-Xa V

The thing is, apart from the resonant behavior of the filter, they actually sound very similar. :)

And, another thing is, for me, that the Arturia filter sounds different to the OB-Xa's filter. I don't want to slap Arturia for that, it's just something I put a big focus on, that's why I find it a bit disappointing, because, they actually did quite well with the rest of the synth. (I think this is kind of a common theme with Arturia's emus though. The filter of the Minimoog V also sounds different to the original's filter, as do the ones of their other emulations.)

If that's not your focus, there's really no reason to be disappointed in any way, I guess.

fmr wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 pm I bet that if he had an OB-Xa and the OB 6 side by side, they would sound quite different as well. :shrug:
Here's a german article where they compare an OB-Xa and an OB-6 and in fact there are differences:
https://www.amazona.de/vergleichstest-d ... eim-ob-xa/

There's also a sound sample where they compare the filters. Just search the article for "OB-Filter-Sweep".
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

BlitBit wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:24 pm
fmr wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 pm I bet that if he had an OB-Xa and the OB 6 side by side, they would sound quite different as well. :shrug:
Here's a german article where they compare an OB-Xa and an OB-6 and in fact there are differences:
https://www.amazona.de/vergleichstest-d ... eim-ob-xa/

There's also a sound sample where they compare the filters. Just search the article for "OB-Filter-Sweep".
I think the filter sweep shows exactly what I meant above with the Tom Sawyer example. The OB-Xa has that almost filter FM -ish quality to it, which I definitely miss here. Filter sounds rather tame and behaved on high resonance settings. Sort of... like the OB-6 in that example. :) I also completely fail to do the OB-Seq-Filter example on the Arturia. Neither the resonance goes high enough for that, nor is the snappiness really there.

Anyway, I don't think discussing this here further will do any good, so.

I've spent some time with the Arturia demo and... so far like it. I don't $150 love it, though. It sounds good, if a bit flat. I'd get it for $50 if that was my Arturia price.

I'm definitely waiting to compare the Synapse one and will get whichever sounds best to me.

The modulation and effects built into the Arturia are nice, but I'm more interested in the raw sound of the synths and then adding my own effects.

I find it easier to get good sounds from the Arturia so far vs. bx_oberhausen (which I bought for $25), though the filter and resonance of the bx_oberhausen is a bit better sounding and can go more extreme. I admittedly have never used an OB-8, OB-X, OB-Xa, etc., only the most recent modern family member.

Really wish I had never posted that OB6 comparison. Nobody bothered to see that I posted an OB-Xa demo afterwards.

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwYuykUfyA

Go to 7:50 and show the OB-Xa V pull that off convincingly.

Then go to 9:27

Then go to 17:31

chk071 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 pm
Examigan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:04 pm My version of one of the synth sounds in Tom Sawyer. I made the MP3 downloadable as SoundCloud always messes up the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/sawyer-was-here
Talking about that Tom Sawyer sound: Did Rush do anything further to the sound in the original track? It almost sounds as if there was something FM-ish going on on the filter. It's also much more resonant than your example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLBLk4ibAk

I hear the same kind of filter FM-ish sound here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOU9CyWIh0
I think Geddy may have used the OB-X first and then got a OB-Xa later for Signals. Not 100% sure though.
Here is the Tom Sawyer preset in OP-X Pro II with the effects turned off with just one note being played. Not that it has anything to do with resonance of course, but that OB-6 video showed him playing 3 or 4 notes at once:

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/op-x-pro-ii-version
Last edited by Examigan on Sat May 23, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

That sounds much more like it.

Also, big +1 to those timestamps wagtunes mentioned. Those are the things which really separate the wheat from the chaff.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:45 pm Really wish I had never posted that OB6 comparison. Nobody bothered to see that I posted an OB-Xa demo afterwards.

Here it is.

I quite sure this can be done with the Multimode filter in the Arturia OB-Xa and mod envelopes.

I bet you didn't even know about the Multimode filter in the effects section.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

TheMaestro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:17 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:45 pm Really wish I had never posted that OB6 comparison. Nobody bothered to see that I posted an OB-Xa demo afterwards.

Here it is.

I quite sure this can be done with the Multimode filter in the Arturia OB-Xa and mod envelopes.

For your information, I watched the entire 2 part video series made by Arturia itself on this synth so yes, I knew about it and everything else about this synth.

By all means, make a demo and show me how Arturia can duplicate those sounds perfectly.

I'll wait.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:25 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Here it is.

For your information, I watched the entire 2 part video series made by Arturia itself on this synth so yes, I knew about it and everything else about this synth.

By all means, make a demo and show me how Arturia can duplicate those sounds perfectly.

I'll wait.
I bet you did. And as they didn't demo the Multimode filter at all in those videos, I'm sure you know all about it.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

I am still totally confused by your logic, wagtunes. You found a video of the OB-xa. You liked the way it sounds. You then (and right then, apparently) concluded 'Arturia's emulation can't sound like that,' even though you never even attempted to make it sound like that. You just...decided it can't, and declared it here in a forum. Then, when challenged, you say it's on the other people to 'prove it' by recreating those sounds, even though it's you, not them, insisting that it can't be done, yet somehow it's not on you to prove it. Huh. Weird, man.

Point being, usually when someone makes a declaration, it's on that person to provide some evidence of the declaration, rather than just stating it. But you did not do this. Then when someone questioned the declaration you provided no evidence for, you said it's their responsibility to prove or disprove your declaration. That's uh..not how it works. At least, not in civilized discourse.

Oh right, I'm at KVR, d'oh.

mholloway wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:36 pm I am still totally confused by your logic, wagtunes. You found a video of the OB-xa. You liked the way it sounds. You then (and right then, apparently) concluded 'Arturia's emulation can't sound like that,' even though you never even attempted to make it sound like that. You just...decided it can't, and declared it here in a forum. Then, when challenged, you say it's on the other people to 'prove it' by recreating those sounds, even though it's you, not them, insisting that it can't be done, yet somehow it's not on you to prove it. Huh. Weird, man.

Point being, usually when someone makes a declaration, it's on that person to provide some evidence of the declaration, rather than just stating it. But you did not do this. Then when someone questioned the declaration you provided no evidence for, you said it's their responsibility to prove or disprove your declaration. That's uh..not how it works. At least, not in civilized discourse.

You must be new here. Wags is always right.

:P

mholloway wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:36 pm I am still totally confused by your logic, wagtunes. You found a video of the OB-xa. You liked the way it sounds. You then (and right then, apparently) concluded 'Arturia's emulation can't sound like that,' even though you never even attempted to make it sound like that. You just...decided it can't, and declared it here in a forum. Then, when challenged, you say it's on the other people to 'prove it' by recreating those sounds, even though it's you, not them, insisting that it can't be done, yet somehow it's not on you to prove it. Huh. Weird, man.

Well, I don't have OB-Xa V to prove anything. And even if I downloaded a demo (assuming one exists) and I posted an example showing it can't do what a hardware OB-Xa can do, someone will simply say "Well, that's because you don't have the skills to make it sound like a hardware OB-Xa."

So what's the point? It would just be a waste of my time.

That's why somebody proving me wrong by showing me it CAN sound like a hardware OB-Xa is the only way to prove me wrong. And then I'll shut up.

But right now, going by the videos I've seen and heard from both the hardware and software, the OB-Xa TO MY EARS falls apart on high res.

If you have a problem with that, prove me wrong.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:51 pm

Well, I don't have OB-Xa V to prove anything. And even if I downloaded a demo (assuming one exists) and I posted an example showing it can't do what a hardware OB-Xa can do, someone will simply say "Well, that's because you don't have the skills to make it sound like a hardware OB-Xa."
In case you want to check it out:
Click on "Get Free Demo"
https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... v/overview

I'm not a sound designer, so someone good at that can surely get closer than this.
But it's an indication.
https://sndup.net/3bdf/Arturia+OB-Xz.wav

Return to “Instruments”