The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:51 pm I admit I’ve no interest in country. That’s just how I feel about it and I try not to judge an entire world of music per only my tastes (nor the people who enjoy said music). It just isn’t for me.

I’ve no use for a lot of music, it seems. It impresses me when people are able and willing to experiment with many genres, it’s just never been how I function (and that’s probably a bad thing).
It's not a bad thing - you function the way you function. The only thing that is bad is if you confuse "I don't like..." with "...is s**t" and you don't seem to me to be that sort of person.

empphryio wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:56 pm Country music is about letting everyone know how humble you are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTrMuZOZvM

while i did laugh, i do enjoy quote a bit of country.
the more bluesy end maybe but also some twangy square dance stuff :)
proper blue grass not so much garth brooks.

I like all music genres.

excuse me please wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:18 pm I like all music.
that a teory i could test to its inevitable conclusion :)

not here, it might get illegal.

I like all music except for EDM, punk, metal, ambient, reggaetón, bro country, mumble rap, and almost all modern English language pop (as in the past 14 years).
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 pm I like all music except for EDM, punk, metal, ambient, reggaetón, bro country, mumble rap, and almost all modern English language pop (as in the past 14 years).
LMAO. That's funny.

Oh, just an FYI. I haven't forgotten about all those videos you left me to watch. I'm currently working on a project for somebody at Gearslutz. I'm helping them with their song, coming up with a more distinct chorus. I expect to be done with it tonight so tomorrow I should be able to start going through those videos.

I think I am going to do the NiN project and then do whatever wins in the poll after that. That'll give people time to vote.

1st track from my upcoming CD "Outtakes II"

This was a special project that I did for a friend of mine. It's actually his song. I just made some changes to the chorus melody and harmony and did a more pop arrangement than a funk arrangement. I'd say I probably contributed about 20% to this one. A very different kind of mix for me too. See if you can figure out what I did. It has a more "off the radio" feel to it.

I'll be working on this CD and my NiN CD at the same time, which I'm going to start researching tomorrow. Need to make sure I get that sound as close as I can. I'm sure it will be a challenge.

End Is Nigh

They say the wind is coming
and no-one's escaping the storm.
They say say the Martians are aiming their
ray guns at Earth and we don't have much time now.
Some say we've living in ways
that have to be punished by god.
I think we've got to refrain from
pointing our fingers and screaming blasphemer.

Searching for truth in a landfill of lies!
How do we fact check the fact checking spies?
How do we trust what's in front of our eyes?
How do we live our lives?

How are we gonna draw a line
if that becomes a crime?

Chorus
See no evil, close your eyes.
Hear no evil, speak no spite.
Just toe the line you'll be alright.
See the signs, the end is nigh!
Head for the backroads, drive all night
get underground and cut the lights.
Take my hand and hold on tight
Look for the signs, the end is nigh!

Some hear the locusts flying
and no-ones surviving the swarm.
They know an asteroid's coming
and it's getting closer but everyone's blind now.
Some say that we're at war
and we've already chosen sides.
I think we've got to stop fighting
and take off our colours and drop all the labels.

Looking for answers by shouting out fools!
Naming and shaming for questioning rules.
Enquiring minds are enquiring for you.
Resolved minds won't find the truth.

How are we gonna ride the storm
without holding each other on?

Chorus

Instrumental Break

Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/end-is-nigh

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:31 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:21 pm
Jace-BeOS wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:15 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:07 pm Okay, so you basically want me to do a NiN CD.
:lol:

There’s a lot of diversity there, actually. I don’t know if there’s any one “genre” to pin it to, but I’m pretty deeply entrenched in that sound, if there is one.

My absolute favorite album of all time is the double-length “The Fragile”, though the above examples probably don’t at all represent that.

After listening to some of your 80s album, I thought of earlier NIN stuff. I thought: “I wonder what this would sound like if tweaked to be like ‘Pretty Hate Machine’”.

All in fun and good cheer, of course :-)
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big Trent Reznor fan. But some of the sounds he gets (he's a master synth programmer) I'm not even sure how to do some of that stuff and most synths don't come with NiN patches. They're just too out there. So aside from the songwriting aspect, there's the sonic pallet aspect and I'm just sure I can pull that off.
I’ve been analyzing NIN for ages. The sound effort is clearly an ethos more than a specific technique, and a lot of people put their hands into it over the various albums and eras.

I’ve done some work to emulate it myself (check out my own SoundCloud if you like), and I have enjoyed the following thread over at GearSluts:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... ynths.html

Charlie Clouser (and another NIN alumni?) even posted there to offer their recollection on the names of the tools, how they were used/misused/abused, and the various ways in which they all worked at the sounds during the first three or four NIN releases. It’s a fascinating thread for anyone interested in what makes NIN sound like NIN, even if there’s no real answer.
I started reading this thread at Gearslutz and after a short while realized that it's more about Trent Reznor than the gear he used. Sure, I got the basics down as far as distortion, sampling and resampling and sound mangling but at the end of the day, I have to try to think like Trent Reznor.

Good luck with that.

I'm going to give this a real shot because the thought of doing anything in his style, whatever the era, fascinates me. Please don't expect NiN but maybe if I'm lucky, I can come up with something slightly resembling it.

Now I'm off to listen to those Youtube videos that Music Bird posted.

:tu:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

wagtunes wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pmI think I am going to do the NiN project and then do whatever wins in the poll after that
Good plan!
I see the winner so far is:
"Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It"
Props to you for giving your fans that choice!
:clap:
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:26 am
wagtunes wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pmI think I am going to do the NiN project and then do whatever wins in the poll after that
Good plan!
Just to show I still have a sense of humor.

Good plan!
Swarm intelligence?

Calenberger wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:00 am
Good plan!
Swarm intelligence?
I'm a little dense and extremely stupid so could you explain what that means so I can get a laugh too?

Thanks.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:44 am:tu:
Over the last couple of days I've listened to "The Fragile" by NiN. Fascinating album. It makes "Closer" sound like a pop song. Hard to really pick out a defining characteristic in his music, outside of his vocals which are so unique. But he's done so many different things even within that one album including orchestral soundscapes. Yes, there is that "glue" that makes it uniquely him (most likely the recording process) but the range of his music, relatively speaking, is broad. No, you won't find any Taylor Swift or Katy Perry pop songs in his collection, but his style varies greatly.

I think I know what direction I want to go in with this CD. It's going to be relatively short (12 songs) and won't nearly cover his entire range, but it will be as faithful as possible to certain "classic" sounds of his.

I'm going to start working on the title track "Hammers And Nails" this morning.

This should be fun.

Return to “Music Cafe”