Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Yeah, 2.0 MIDI learn and parameter code still has some stuff pending to work properly.

discoDSP wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 pm Yeah, 2.0 MIDI learn and parameter code still has some stuff pending to work properly.
Ok. No problem. If I could make a recommendation/enhancement request: keep the learn mode button enabled. The process should ideally be:

1. Click Learn
2. Move knob on GUI
3. Move knob on hardware (they are learned)
4. Move next knob on GUI
5. Move next knob on hardware...
6. ...Click Learn again to turn it off when mapping is completed

NOT

1. Click Learn
2. Move knob on GUI
3. Move knob on hardware (they are learned, but Learn mode button turns off)
4. Mouse over and click Learn (again)
5. Move next knob on GUI
6. Move next knob on hardware
7. Mouse over and click Learn (again)...

When you're mapping an entire synth's control set, you can be clicking Learn like an extra 40+ times. It's more efficient if that mode can just be kept on while you map the whole synth.

...And of course, the settings are saved globally in the XML. :party:

I guess the hardware controller is sending MIDI CC, right?

Oh yeah...then add those same features to DiscoveryPro! ;)

discoDSP wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:17 pm I guess the hardware controller is sending MIDI CC, right?
Yes, correct.

The problem with OB-Xd is that learned MIDI CC assignments get lost because they aren't stored correctly (depends of the DAW, won't happen with 1.5 standalone because it saves the full plugin state). So we should get rid of current MIDI learn code and start a proper one from scratch. Fist thing would be using a XML based MIDI mapping file that reads values properly and can be edited with user based MIDI CC parameters until Learn/Clear is fully refactored.

discoDSP wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:23 pm The problem with OB-Xd is that learned MIDI CC assignments get lost because they aren't stored correctly (depends of the DAW, won't happen with 1.5 standalone because it saves the full plugin state). So we should get rid of current MIDI learn code and start a proper one from scratch. Fist thing would be using a XML based MIDI mapping file that reads values properly and can be edited with user based MIDI CC parameters until Learn/Clear is fully refactored.
That works for me.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm
discoDSP wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 pm Yeah, 2.0 MIDI learn and parameter code still has some stuff pending to work properly.
Ok. No problem. If I could make a recommendation/enhancement request: keep the learn mode button enabled. The process should ideally be:

1. Click Learn
2. Move knob on GUI
3. Move knob on hardware (they are learned)
4. Move next knob on GUI
5. Move next knob on hardware...
6. ...Click Learn again to turn it off when mapping is completed

NOT

1. Click Learn
2. Move knob on GUI
3. Move knob on hardware (they are learned, but Learn mode button turns off)
4. Mouse over and click Learn (again)
5. Move next knob on GUI
6. Move next knob on hardware
7. Mouse over and click Learn (again)...

When you're mapping an entire synth's control set, you can be clicking Learn like an extra 40+ times. It's more efficient if that mode can just be kept on while you map the whole synth.

...And of course, the settings are saved globally in the XML. :party:
Also mentioned in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=471926&p=7736731#p7736731
It would be nice if the "Learn" function would allow parameters to be assigned in one single operation:

Press "Learn", select parameter on GUI, wiggle knob sending CC, select another parameter on GUI, wiggle another knob sending a different CC.

Currently you need to press the Learn then select a parameter on the GUI then wiggle the CC the deselect "Learn" and repeat the same process for every single parameter.

There are trade-offs with MIDI learn such as when you have controllers that act unintentionally, for example a pedal, bender bar, knob, slider, switches, wheels... You never know what situation the controller is in and whether it'll cause more harm than good. So for that reason a config (XML or otherwise) + export to that format is a great solution (could support 14-bit, ...) If a "MIDI Learn multiple" mode is desired that would likely be best as an additional option rather than the default.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

A few things...

- Why are the VCOs outputting a triangle when both saw and square are turned off? As far as i recall none of the OB- models had triangle waveforms, so is this just one of the 'additions' 2Dat talked about? I was always wondering about that.

- The PWM is currently unipolar, and it does not go all the way to silence either. Taking the OB-Xa as the reference synth, the PWM should be bipolar, going from inaudible (knob left) to 50% (knob center) to inaudible (knob right). Check KORG Mono/Poly for a perfect example.

- Skinning. Some time ago i was asking if the UI resources can be externalized so that complete redesigns would become possible. This seems to have been done now, problem is only that the builds that have the layout file are 64bit only, so i was wondering if a 32bit can be provided so i can see if i can do something with this. At least i would like to give it a shot.

Regarding the PWM, i just saw that it becomes bipolar when the PW knob is set hard left and the width is modulated via LFO. This does not apply when you merely turn the knob though, (i.e. without modulation), so that part of the point remains. Also the width, when you have a symmetrical pos/neg modulation via the LFO, goes nowhere near inaudible. For it to become inaudible on at least one end the PW knob must be moved from hard left towards center. But then it will only alternate between 50% and silence on the positive end, i.e. not between 50% and silence on both the pos and the neg ends. (Which may actually be OK, depends on whether the real OB-Xa modulated unipolar or bipolar. The Mono/Poly (plugin) has both options.)

Anyhow, just wanted to quickly add this.

ENV1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 pm A few things...

- Why are the VCOs outputting a triangle when both saw and square are turned off? As far as i recall none of the OB- models had triangle waveforms, so is this just one of the 'additions' 2Dat talked about? I was always wondering about that.
Here is the description from the OB-8 manual on page 26:
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 10.53.20 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ENV1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 pm
- The PWM is currently unipolar, and it does not go all the way to silence either. Taking the OB-Xa as the reference synth, the PWM should be bipolar, going from inaudible (knob left) to 50% (knob center) to inaudible (knob right). Check KORG Mono/Poly for a perfect example.
Also on page 26 of the OB-8 manual:
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 10.56.20 PM.jpg
The Puse Width control on the Korg Minilogue also operates this way
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

So apparently 2DaT modelled the oscs and PW after the OB-8.

(He said its a mixture of several OB- models so i guess thats OK.)

I always thought he used the Xa as the main reference, so thanks for helping to clear this up.

As to skinning; i have modelled the OB knob in Blender.

First draft looks like this.

Of course i cant do anything with it unless a 32bit pops up.

obk.png

ENV1 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:07 am As to skinning; i have modelled the OB knob in Blender.

First draft looks like this.

obk.png
nice, can you share with me the Blender file ?
Thanks

Return to “Instruments”