RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Caine123 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:10 am
SLiC wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:28 am
keel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:12 am Is there new sale coming soon?
Nothing has been mentioned on that but....
Granular + MSEG + Sale = lots of new users! :tu:
Hopefully, maybe some new ex-avengers :hihi: :tu:
Or you can own them both?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Thanks for the feedback and the hints to sound designers. We pretty much knew all of the names and already contacted (tried to contact) a few. Are you aware that some of them have their own interest and regular manufacture cooperation and are almost impossible to reach? :ud:

No upcoming sound designers to suggest? I mean, the names are almost like the elite of sound designers and very busy or not open for commission in the next months.
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:26 pm
parawave wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:39 pm
It got a bit quiet here, so here are some good news. It was on the road map since the initial release.
Now finally. Granular Synthesis!

There will be more information on it in the next days/week. Also some audio examples.
Hate to point out the obvious but, it's been over a week now... :hihi:
Patience :D Are you not feeling the lingering anticipation ?
tripleflows wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:00 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:34 am I really miss to scroll through the values, tube options etc. With mouse wheel. Hate to click just to change few values and scroll through a window. Parawave please :)
IMPROVE - Preset loading time - not sure if you could improve it, but even on a superfast NVMe 1TB SSD often it takes 3-4 seconds to load e.g. Melodic > Balearic Island preset and similars.
Both issues solved already. All of you can look forward to it in the next update.

While developing the base system for Granular Synthesis we somehow branched out to improve the load time for samples. We then multithreaded crucial parts of the load chain, like the decoding, which improved quite a bit. Now here's something exciting. We also went a long way to do the same for wavetables. Due to a better memory and threading layout the load times drastically improved by a factor of at least 10x (measured for quad core systems). The more cores, the better the improvement, it's relative. But all in all it will be faster. Especially for presets with a diverse wavetable count like the sequences in the Cinematic Exposure XT.

@Development:

Here's a work in progress screen of the current state.

granular-synthesis.png

The Granular Synthesis mode is selectable as regular sampler insert.

granular-insert.png

If active you will get the new controls you would expect from a granular source. The parameters will control various grain attributes like Length, Tune, Shape, Level, Spread and Position of each produced grain. It's possible to use up to 100 true stereo grains with at length of up to 1000 milliseconds. Various randomization patterns allow for very smooth grain clouds or gritty textures and more.

The processing part is already done and highly optimized. But be aware: The more grains that are active, the higher the CPU consumption. Since you can theoretically use up to 76800 stereo grains (8 layer x 32 voices x 3 osc x 100 grains) for one instance of Rapid. I will tell you preemptively: Please don't do this and ask why your CPU load is high :D It's the same as with unison. Only use what is really needed.

The possibilities are there and you can run wild with it if desired. But most of the time 20-30 grains will already result in smooth sounds. And it's not like you really need 24 grain sources in one instances. Most of the time you will end up using up to 1-3. Probably more for pad sounds and evolving textures.

Open for feedback. Hope you like the base. No audio examples yet. At a later time :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by parawave on Sat May 30, 2020 3:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wow, all great news. Can't wait (but will!) - let me know if you need any beta testers ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

parawave wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 pm .....
No upcoming sound designers to suggest? I mean, the names are almost like the elite of sound designers and very busy or not open for commission in the next months.

Bryan Lake @Sound Author.
rsp
sound sculptist

parawave wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 pm
Well I would be if I knew that the critical aspects of the GUI interaction in regard to left mouse button clicking and deselecting of the trance gate and arp sections was changed from the right mouse button so it replicates the way in which UHE's Hive 2 works with its gate and sequencer...and pretty much every other VST instrument with one. Rather than using the right mouse button for both a right context menu and deselect interaction aspects. Right now, the interaction aspects I've highlighted are far more important than the granular stuff that's being added. :wink:

Kinda like buying a second hand car, where the owner selling it announces that they have installed a new multi CD changer and ghettoblaster system for you. And you the buyer and driver of the car, asking if you fixed the steering wheel mechanism yet...
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Fri May 29, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Thankfully that is just your opinion.

zvenx wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:46 pm
parawave wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 pm .....

Bryan Lake @Sound Author.
rsp
+1.000, this guy is incredibly good, he really deserves a lot more attention.

starflakeprj wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:09 pm
Caine123 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:10 am
SLiC wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:28 am
keel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:12 am Is there new sale coming soon?
Nothing has been mentioned on that but....
Granular + MSEG + Sale = lots of new users! :tu:
Hopefully, maybe some new ex-avengers :hihi: :tu:
Or you can own them both?
yeah when they remove their crap bloatware Codemeter and care for customers again.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

parawave wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 pm Thanks for the feedback and the hints to sound designers. We pretty much knew all of the names and already contacted (tried to contact) a few. Are you aware that some of them have their own interest and regular manufacture cooperation and are almost impossible to reach? :ud:

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:26 pm
parawave wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:39 pm
It got a bit quiet here, so here are some good news. It was on the road map since the initial release.
Now finally. Granular Synthesis!

There will be more information on it in the next days/week. Also some audio examples.
Hate to point out the obvious but, it's been over a week now... :hihi:
tripleflows wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:00 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:34 am I really miss to scroll through the values, tube options etc. With mouse wheel. Hate to click just to change few values and scroll through a window. Parawave please :)
IMPROVE - Preset loading time - not sure if you could improve it, but even on a superfast NVMe 1TB SSD often it takes 3-4 seconds to load e.g. Melodic > Balearic Island preset and similars.
Both issues solved already. All of you can look forward to it in the next update.

While developing the base system for Granular Synthesis we somehow branched out to improve the load time for samples. We then multithreaded crucial parts of the load chain, like the decoding, which improved quite a bit. Now here's something exciting. We also went a long way to do the same for wavetables. Due to a better memory and threading layout the load times drastically improved by a factor of at least 10x (measured for quad core systems). The more cores, the better the improvement, it's relative. But all in all it will be faster. Especially for presets with a diverse wavetable count like the sequences in the Cinematic Exposure XT.

@Development:

Here's a work in progress screen of the current state.

granular-synthesis.png

The Granular Synthesis mode is selectable as regular sampler insert.

granular-insert.png

If active you will get the new controls you would expect from a granular source. The parameters will control various grain attributes like Length, Tune, Shape, Level, Spread and Position of each produced grain. It's possible to use up to 100 true stereo grains with at length of up to 1000 milliseconds. Various randomization patterns allow for very smooth grain clouds or gritty textures and more.

The processing part is already done and highly optimized. But be aware: The more grains that are active, the higher the CPU consumption. Since you can theoretically use up to 2400 stereo grains for one instance of Rapid. I will tell you preemptively: Please don't do this and ask why your CPU load is high :D It's the same as with unison. Only use what is really needed.

The possibilities are there and you can run wild. But most of the time 20-30 grains will already achieve the same. And it's not like you really need 24 grain sources in one instances. Most of the time you will end up using up to 1-3. Probably more for pad sounds and evolving textures.

Open for feedback. Hope you like the base. No audio examples yet. At a later time :wink:
please check also tp add GRAIN ENV :)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Cant wait to play with granular stuff!!! Looks great

nusound mind wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:41 pm I've never bought presets before but I'd recommend Aiyn Zahev for designers, on 2 separate occasions his yt videos were the final/decisive factor for me to pull the trigger on synths. First one was Spire, Rapid may have been the other one I can't recall.
just wanted to say, I also bought Rapid after seeing a video about it by Aiyn Zahev.

I really like the Touch The Universe (Tim Ivory) 3rd party expansion for Rapid.

kiezum wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:16 pm My favorite sounddesigner: Howard Scarr (U-He)

The Serum presets I bought from 7skies (and KHSMR) and John “Skippy” Lehmkuhl are all great.
Other sound designers to check out: Nori Ubukata, BigTone (Nico Hertz), George Zondagh, Rob Lee, Aiyn Zahev, Frank “Xenox” Neumann, and Irion Da Ronin :)

andresnol wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:42 am I really like the Touch The Universe (Tim Ivory) 3rd party expansion for Rapid.
Yes, you can get both sets for 25USD (or 15USD each) so good value as well. I have Geodesic Frequencies and think its very good.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ahhh good to know, will check them out too!

Return to “Instruments”