ArcSyn Rooolz!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ArcSyn

Vortifex wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 pm Currently 40% off with code SPRING40 https://www.spcplugins.com/ :tu:
Damn you :x

@zerocrossing - why do you have a serious vendetta with BONES? could just ignore :?:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I tried demo, but it does not work in latest FLStudio (Win10, 64bit).
yzcoruhT

Ok, i will finally take a look. I’m downloading the manual now but will not be able to demo for a few days. It’s good for programming weird sounds?
Good call.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:11 pm@zerocrossing - why do you have a serious vendetta with BONES? could just ignore :?:
I think he got over that. I've agreed with him on a few things lately and that seems to keep him calm enough.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:08 am Why does it need MPE compatibility? It's got MIDI learn, you can assign your fancy controllers to any parameters you like.
Per-note cc control of parameters, BONES. Per-note. The P in MPE is for polyphonic. That’s why.

Don't start, we've already established that per note is a waste of time because it has so few practical uses. And the problem is that with people like you telling everyone that MPE is the best thing since canned piss and if a plugin or a host doesn't support it, then it's a waste of space is that it puts people off looking at the controller for their own use. People need to understand that you can use something like a Roli Seaboard without MPE and still get a lot from it because if these things don't gain popularity, they will almost certainly disappear. Is that what you want?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dude, you're the guy who keeps arguing MPE shouldn't exist. Who is doing more damage to manufacturers advertising their instruments as MPE-compatible? The guy who posts in every vaguely MPE-related thread that it sucks, no-one needs it and it should go away or the people who make the odd gentle request for MPE built into a synth rather than using a multichannel stack as a workaround?

I get the fact that MPE is a kludge. It's because it's a kludge you can use workarounds that make it viable with things that aren't explicitly MPE-compatible.

The thing is, a Roli Seaboard's biggest selling point is it's 5 dimensions of touch. Go to their website and see how many times they mention "5D" before you find any reference at all to MPE. MPE just isn't that useful and those guys know it. As you point out, MPE is a kludge, all I am doing is pointing to that it's not necessarily the best kludge, so people don't need it so much as want it. And, in case it's not obvious, Noumena had to drag up a quote from January to keep the MPE debate going so it clearly isn't me looking to pick a fight.

It can seem that people are asking for MPE when they don't really need it but that's not necessarily the case. That kind of polyphonic response is handy in a number of use-cases that I have and I'm sure people have their own.

For me, it's not that big an issue if Arcsyn specifically doesn't have it. It's not something that meshes well with the LFO sequencer in all likelihood (and may be the source of some real pain in the replumbing job needed to retrofit MPE) and where I use Arcsyn is on more monophonic situations or limited polyphony where a stack or a keyboard split can do the just almost or just as well. On a rompler, by contrast, MPE can make things come alive.

But I'm not everybody. If someone's using Arcysn as a pad machine, MPE with an emphasis on polyphony makes a lot more sense.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:23 am Don't start, we've already established that per note is a waste of time because it has so few practical uses.
Oh, I love this use of “we.” I agree we’ve established something, but this is hardly what it is. What I feel we have established is that you don’t care for MPE but are very vocal about it. What I suspect we are discovering together is that you don’t know what you’re talking about. Not about the tech, not about how it is used, not about what it is for, not about why and how it is implemented, and not about why and how people use it. We have also established that you’re unwilling to spend even a moment of time learning any of these things.

Anyway, yeah. The P is for polyphonic. Per note cc control of parameters is a really great thing to build into a synth.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:23 am [...] the best thing since canned piss [...]
is this really a best thing?

U-o wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:45 am I tried demo, but it does not work in latest FLStudio (Win10, 64bit).
Not working for me either on latest Reaper. Tried 4.0.3, both VST and VST3.

Noumena wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 pmOh, I love this use of “we.”
You were involved in the discussion and, if you read through it, there is only one rational conclusion to be drawn from it.
Per note cc control of parameters is a really great thing to build into a synth.
Not when it takes up all 16 channels of MIDI it isn't. It's an inelegant kludge compared to the simple workaround of loading up a couple of instances in a keyboard split arrangement, all on just one MIDI channel, to provide for those cases when you might want to do something different with one hand to the other.

that’s really funny. “all 16 channels of midi.” Like anyone has a single MIDI buss these days. In the world. Every track has 16 channels of MIDI for the track. Every device on every track can have several 16 channel busses to and from it. Every VST instrument has it’s very own 16 channels of MIDI. A MIDI channel is just a byte of data in a MIDI message, and there is one on every message already. Spreading notes across channels takes no additional resources at all if your host and instrument support MPE.

A keyboard split? That is a different thing entirely, requires a different instance of the VSTi (unless of course it supports MPE, in which case that would work well, snarf) and a good bit of time to configure. So keyboard splits are a. not able to perform the same tasks, b. much harder to set up and c. actually a good argument for asking for MPE support in an instrument.

You should stop talking about MPE until you spend some time figuring out how it works and what it is for.

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:11 pm
Vortifex wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 pm Currently 40% off with code SPRING40 https://www.spcplugins.com/ :tu:
Damn you :x

@zerocrossing - why do you have a serious vendetta with BONES? could just ignore :?:
That’s like Bugs Bunny ignoring Elmer Fudd. It wouldn’t be right.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”