ArcSyn Rooolz!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
10181 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:54 pm

BONES wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:17 pm
ramseysounds wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:11 am
@zerocrossing - why do you have a serious vendetta with BONES? could just ignore :?:
I think he got over that. I've agreed with him on a few things lately and that seems to keep him calm enough.
I have no quarrel with you, but you do set my wise-ass mode off like few others. Sorry! I probably shouldn’t have learned basic social skills from Warner Brothers cartoons.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
10181 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:03 pm

BONES wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:08 pm
Why does it need MPE compatibility? It's got MIDI learn, you can assign your fancy controllers to any parameters you like.
What you’re totally missing is how each note event has its own modulation including pitch. What you can’t do with your “fancy controller” is hold down a chord with your left hand and do a solo with your right that slides between notes like you can on a guitar. Then when you want to change that chord, you can slide to the new one. In a sense it’s like what you can do with a stringed instrument like a pedal steel. Of course you get all the pressure per note, etc. It’s very different than just assigning perimeters, but you have to dig in and learn it. I still like using a regular polyphonic aftertouch keyboard for a lot of sounds, but when you really learn how to use a Rise, it’s a thing of beauty that needs MPE to really shine.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9988 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:02 am

What your missing is months of conversation where I have explained repeatedly that you can do exactly what you describe with two instances of the synth and a keyboard split, on a single MIDI channel. It is far more elegant than using all 16 MIDI channels. Of course, you definitely need the fancy controller because it's extra "dimensions of touch" facilitate the behaviour. That said, it's much easier to let your host play the chords while you play the solo (and I'm all about the easy), especially when all you have is a Seaboard Block, which has exactly two octaves of keys and not one key more.

I think it might come down to the fact that you guys have so little experience when it comes to finding your own solutions to the limitations of your equipment that you need these things to be done for you. When all you have are two TB303s and a TR707 to help you play a song, you don't really have much choice other than to find your own ways of getting around the limitations of your set-up to get things done.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Vacuum Pro, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Union, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

User avatar
teilo
KVRian
556 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:59 am

You damn kids and your fancy MPEs. Get off my f*cking lawn!

Cool synth, by the way. You're right, BONES.
macOS | Bitwig 3.x | Logic Pro X | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | Melda all | TAL synths | Komplete 12 Ult. Coll. | Arturia V 7 | Fabfilter Pro all | Rapid | countless others

psynical
KVRist
216 posts since 16 Jan, 2019 from Portland, Oregon

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:02 am
Bones, why is it that every. single. thread you're in eventually turns into some random irrelevant argument? Is it you, the people who hate you, or both?

Winstontaneous
KVRAF
1838 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:28 pm

psynical wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 am
BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:02 am
Bones, why is it that every. single. thread you're in eventually turns into some random irrelevant argument? Is it you, the people who hate you, or both?
I believe it's explained by his tagline: "GRRRRRRR!" :help:
At least one thing in this world does what it says on the tin. :lol:

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9988 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm

psynical wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 am
Bones, why is it that every. single. thread you're in eventually turns into some random irrelevant argument? Is it you, the people who hate you, or both?
It's largely because people like you ask irrelevant questions like this. Either that or they regurgitate something I said somewhere else (or months/years earlier, as in this case) and try to use it out of context to (re)start an argument (knowing that I am always up for a decent argument, I suppose). Or maybe they're jealous that I've had a no. 1 album and they haven't, who knows? Whatever, I take their interest as a compliment.

Often it is in a thread like this one, which I am happy to see at or near the top of the pile in the forum, where people might notice it and have some interest in the actual topic. I only know about ArcSyn because I found threads on it, so keeping it near the top might help someone else discover it.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Vacuum Pro, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Union, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

User avatar
teilo
KVRian
556 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:14 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm
Often it is in a thread like this one, which I am happy to see at or near the top of the pile in the forum, where people might notice it and have some interest in the actual topic. I only know about ArcSyn because I found threads on it, so keeping it near the top might help someone else discover it.
It helped me discover it. And with the discount it was a no brainer.
macOS | Bitwig 3.x | Logic Pro X | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | Melda all | TAL synths | Komplete 12 Ult. Coll. | Arturia V 7 | Fabfilter Pro all | Rapid | countless others

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
10181 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:47 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm
psynical wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 am
Bones, why is it that every. single. thread you're in eventually turns into some random irrelevant argument? Is it you, the people who hate you, or both?
It's largely because people like you ask irrelevant questions like this. Either that or they regurgitate something I said somewhere else (or months/years earlier, as in this case) and try to use it out of context to (re)start an argument (knowing that I am always up for a decent argument, I suppose). Or maybe they're jealous that I've had a no. 1 album and they haven't, who knows? Whatever, I take their interest as a compliment.

Often it is in a thread like this one, which I am happy to see at or near the top of the pile in the forum, where people might notice it and have some interest in the actual topic. I only know about ArcSyn because I found threads on it, so keeping it near the top might help someone else discover it.
:lol:

Keep it coming, BONES. You’re an original, all right.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
10181 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:51 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:02 am
What your missing is months of conversation where I have explained repeatedly that you can do exactly what you describe with two instances of the synth and a keyboard split, on a single MIDI channel. It is far more elegant than using all 16 MIDI channels. Of course, you definitely need the fancy controller because it's extra "dimensions of touch" facilitate the behaviour. That said, it's much easier to let your host play the chords while you play the solo (and I'm all about the easy), especially when all you have is a Seaboard Block, which has exactly two octaves of keys and not one key more.

I think it might come down to the fact that you guys have so little experience when it comes to finding your own solutions to the limitations of your equipment that you need these things to be done for you. When all you have are two TB303s and a TR707 to help you play a song, you don't really have much choice other than to find your own ways of getting around the limitations of your set-up to get things done.
Could it be that all the yelling is depriving your brain of oxygen, because the above post is nonsense. I mean, I can’t even begin to know where to start on how off you are on every single level. It’s quite spectacular to behold. Maybe you should edit the above post to read, “I have no understanding of MPE at all and I just like typing.”
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
16812 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:04 am

BONES wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:23 pm
Don't start, we've already established that per note is a waste of time
That is not established... all that is established is that you have an opinion the you endlessly repeat regardless of all info to the contrary.

I've seen plenty of examples of you being flexible in your thinking... but for some reason, on this one, you are blind zealot.

JamminFool
KVRian
1163 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:10 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm
Or maybe they're jealous that I've had a no. 1 album and they haven't, who knows?
nicely worked in, as if that gives an opinion more weight. lol.

is this really what you tell yourself?

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
16812 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:21 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:02 am
What your missing is months of conversation where I have explained repeatedly that you can do exactly what you describe with two instances of the synth and a keyboard split, on a single MIDI channel. It is far more elegant than using all 16 MIDI channels. Of course, you definitely need the fancy controller because it's extra "dimensions of touch" facilitate the behaviour. That said, it's much easier to let your host play the chords while you play the solo (and I'm all about the easy), especially when all you have is a Seaboard Block, which has exactly two octaves of keys and not one key more.

I think it might come down to the fact that you guys have so little experience when it comes to finding your own solutions to the limitations of your equipment that you need these things to be done for you. When all you have are two TB303s and a TR707 to help you play a song, you don't really have much choice other than to find your own ways of getting around the limitations of your set-up to get things done.
It doesn't matter how many times/months you repeatedly explain the same incorrect statement... it still isn't true. 2 instances and a keyboard split does not MPE make. You being satisfied with that option, in no way makes the two comparable.

Also, MPE does not need to use 16 midi channels. In a couple seconds I can configure my Linnstrument to use whatever number of midi channels I want for a specific case.

If I had ArcSyn, it would be easy to use my host with multiple ArcSyn instances and using round robin routing of the incoming midi notes to the different instances to make it MPE capable. It's less convenient cause any tweak to one instance or change of preset needs to be done with the other instances, so I would rather a synth support MPE internally... but I can make any synth MPE capable in my host.

Noumena
KVRist
162 posts since 4 May, 2019

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:02 pm

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm
Or maybe they're jealous that I've had a no. 1 album and they haven't, who knows?
#18067 in Dance Pop (CDs & Vinyl)
#12902 in New Age (CDs & Vinyl)
#8726 in Electronica (CDs & Vinyl)

280 monthly listeners on Spotify with about 22k total streams. That is really not nothing for records more than 10 years old. I commend you.

But, well, these stats simply cannot compare to your KVR ones:
9812 posts!
.18% of ALL posts
(But the one stat where you'd truly shine isn't public. How do you rank vs all others on the "most blocked" stat. I'm thinking you're either #1 or #2. Mr W surely is giving you a run for the money there, but I would like to think that this is your "no. 1" record.)

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9988 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: ArcSyn Rooolz!

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Who would even care about that shit? Life is not a popularity contest and being popular with the dunderheads around here is definitely not something any sane person would desire.
zerocrossing wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:51 am
I can’t even begin to know where to start on how off you are on every single level.
Of course you can't because you'd have to either say things you know aren't true or just make stuff up.
But to do what you described, you'd need the patch on your right hand to respond to aftertouch and the patch on your left hand to ignore it. Some glide on the left hand will have your chords sliding from one to the next. Job done, no MPE in sight. I was doing exactly that kind of thing 30-odd years ago. Not with aftertouch but so that I could use the mod wheel on what I was playing with my right hand and not have it affect what I was playing with my left. And before you ask, long release on the chords gave me time to use the mod wheel. Trust me, it works, it's simple to set up and 5D touch makes it easier to actually do. Not to give anything away, but the OB-Xa was pretty much built to make it easy to do that kind of stuff. It let you play poly chords with your left hand and a unison lead version of the same sound with your right.
pdxindy wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:21 am
It doesn't matter how many times/months you repeatedly explain the same incorrect statement... it still isn't true. 2 instances and a keyboard split does not MPE make. You being satisfied with that option, in no way makes the two comparable.
It's not about me being satisfied. As I've said, I never play with both hands any more, I have to hold a microphone in my other hand and I have a computer to play everything if I need it to. And you're also correct that it isn't as versatile as MPE but that's not the point. The point is that my workaround will work for every single use case for MPE that I have ever seen described or demonstrated. So unless/until someone can show me something musical, something you might actually want to do, that you can only do by swallowing up 16 MIDI channels with MPE, then I remain right and you are wrong. That's as simple as it is.
Also, MPE does not need to use 16 midi channels. In a couple seconds I can configure my Linnstrument to use whatever number of midi channels I want for a specific case.
Then for the next case you have to change it again, and the one after that. Hardly a solution, unless you can save it with a patch? With Roli you'd have to do it manually every time through the Dashboard. Much easier to keep MPE turned off.
I can make any synth MPE capable in my host.
Exactly! You don't need everything you own to be MPE capable, it's just something that might be nice to have if it's available. Which is to say that you can get plenty out of a Linnstrument or a Roli Seaboard without having to worry about every single plugin you own supporting MPE, which is all I have ever wanted to point out, so as not to put people off who might be worried that if they bought one it might not be much good to them.

BTW, thanks all for keeping the ArcSyn thread where people are more likely to see it. I actually started work on a new skin for it last night, something I've been threatening to do for nearly a year now.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Vacuum Pro, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Union, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

Return to “Instruments”