Stutter Edit 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IMO the UI is pretty ugly...

pekbro wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:35 pm IMO the UI is pretty ugly...
Like almost anything by izotope.

i like the UI from the old version well enough. hardly matters though, the chances of me
upgrading are very slim. Unless they happen to release a eurorack version that is...

Richard Devine's noodling: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB00-AAHblR/

I haven’t touched Stutter Edit since 2018 probably. I own it, all the Sugar Bytes, and a few other glitch tools that sit unused in my plugins folder. Maybe it’s the music I try to emulate (makes me a harsh judge of myself), but I never get completely satisfying results from any of them. The closest I’ve come to a “yes, this is it” moment was after doing A LOT of tweaking in Permut8, and I still felt like I wasn’t getting deep enough. It wasn’t until I finally decided to bite the bullet, roll up my sleeves, and slice everything by hand in Ableton Live that I got results I’m fairly happy with. And that is a really long, effed up road to travel (I mean, you can spend days on just a minute or two of music). But it really works, and doesn’t cost anything beyond your sanity. Lol. It’s probably a really stupid way to go in this day and age, and I should probably just learn a tracker (I own Redux), but I’m a slow learner.

It’s nice to have the other effects on board, but I’ve used BYOME, SoundToys, and Pluggo and just resample. I don’t try to automate them or anything. I just record my audio through the effect on another track, and then figure out whether to leave on that track, or to splice it into the original. Oftentimes I wind up doing even more glitchy edits to the effected track. You see the rabbit hole I’m going down? It turns into an obsession that borders on the unhealthy.

I can’t help but wonder if BT actually uses his product, or if he still slices samples by hand in Logic. I also heard BT has paid help to do the grunt work under his direction, but that was in the early-to-mid 00’s. I’m not so sure if his projects are that well funded anymore, what with all of the belt-tightening in the entertainment industry.

You need external control for this? Can a midi keyboard with no knobs, no sliders work?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:25 pm You need external control for this? Can a midi keyboard with no knobs, no sliders work?
You don’t need external control. You can put it into auto mode and use the MSEG’s to control the effects.

well i bought SE1 four months ago and don't have a 'coopin' and i own a slew of their product over the years (practically everything) but they can forget $79 lol... i wouldn't upgrade for $49 after only owning the product for 4 mos. lol... i'll wait 'til it is down to a $1 'if you buy something else sale'. now if they want to give it to me free then i'll still have to think about upgrading lol cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

MadDogE134 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 pm well i bought SE1 four months ago
I guess you know best how much you've paid for SE1 four months ago :wink:

W23 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:17 pm ... It wasn’t until I finally decided to bite the bullet, roll up my sleeves, and slice everything by hand in Ableton Live that I got results I’m fairly happy with. And that is a really long, effed up road to travel (I mean, you can spend days on just a minute or two of music). But it really works, and doesn’t cost anything beyond your sanity. Lol. It’s probably a really stupid way to go in this day and age, and I should probably just learn a tracker (I own Redux), but I’m a slow learner.

It’s nice to have the other effects on board, but I’ve used BYOME, SoundToys, and Pluggo and just resample. I don’t try to automate them or anything. I just record my audio through the effect on another track, and then figure out whether to leave on that track, or to splice it into the original. Oftentimes I wind up doing even more glitchy edits to the effected track. You see the rabbit hole I’m going down? It turns into an obsession that borders on the unhealthy.
This is exactly where I’m at too. And I’ve also debated whether I should learn a tracker or not, but the workflow just seems too alien for me.

I do a lot of “audio arranging” and recording VSTs to wave files, so going in and cutting/reversing/pitching just starts to happen naturally

Only two “slicer” plug ins have worked their way into my music although I have more of these types of plugins in my folders sort of sitting unused, including izotope first stutter edit

1 - ableton’s “beat repeat” - very powerful once you master how to fully control it - I turn off all random settings and automate with some pretty elaborate lanes in arrange view - helps me line up gestures that need to work together

2 - audio damage “replicant” - this one I just record audio and hit the random button occasionally — I find really satisfying tid bits when I cut up the resulting audio - there is a rough “in your face” attitude to the cuts and filters that makes the glitchiness really stick out

andrewbrewer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:12 pm
W23 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:17 pm

This is exactly where I’m at too. And I’ve also debated whether I should learn a tracker or not, but the workflow just seems too alien for me.

I do a lot of “audio arranging” and recording VSTs to wave files, so going in and cutting/reversing/pitching just starts to happen naturally

Only two “slicer” plug ins have worked their way into my music although I have more of these types of plugins in my folders sort of sitting unused, including izotope first stutter edit

1 - ableton’s “beat repeat” - very powerful once you master how to fully control it - I turn off all random settings and automate with some pretty elaborate lanes in arrange view - helps me line up gestures that need to work together

2 - audio damage “replicant” - this one I just record audio and hit the random button occasionally — I find really satisfying tid bits when I cut up the resulting audio - there is a rough “in your face” attitude to the cuts and filters that makes the glitchiness really stick out
Oh yeah! I’ve used both, and set them up for all kinds of happy accidents. Then I heard a guy on YouTube complaining that they were “too precise”. I should really quit YouTube. Ha! Ha! The coolest thing about Ableton is the split and consolidate commands, using ALT to disable the grid, and then using the warp modes in the completely wrong way. When I run out of ideas doing those, I’ll usually reach for another effect to work in on top of them. But for sure...doing all of your glitching by hand goes a long way toward making it sound like YOU, and not like you’re using something like Stutter Edit. I could never really get the stutter module to act the way I wanted either and got frustrated.

collider wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:18 pm I guess you know best how much you've paid for SE1 four months ago :wink:
my point exactly lol cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Here's a little groove done with SE2. Its Rhythmiq into SE2. The chords are Avenger. Oh there is an XO in there, through a GRM Space3D.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/flowww

gondii wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:55 pm FYI you can get the upgrade at JRR Shop for $66 with coupon code "GROUP".

https://www.jrrshop.com/izotope-stutter-edit-upgrade
I get the message not available in my country. :(

Maybe it's time to move to the USA. :hihi:

RichN wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:46 am
gondii wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:55 pm FYI you can get the upgrade at JRR Shop for $66 with coupon code "GROUP".

https://www.jrrshop.com/izotope-stutter-edit-upgrade
I get the message not available in my country. :(

Maybe it's time to move to the USA. :hihi:
Nice, thanks for the tip! BTW, it seems to work for me in Poland. Hopefully they aren't doing something to limit their operation to US, because JRR is where I get most of my VSTs or DAW upgrades :shrug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Effects”