Waldorf Largo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo

triple :hihi:
Last edited by felis on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

double

i'll not gonna be surprised if dissappear next month as v-station is currently not available anywhere...who knows,software market is ridiculous sometimes :)
Oo come on,again thumbs down,what i said,it's not for sure,may offer something better next year :)
It is not a 'pro' to do presets before to explore a synth,but couldn't resist - just upload a preset in download section,Largo definitely is a monster,so glad didn't save these 20 euro :)Cheers :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I got Largo on the discount yesterday and I have to say I'm blown away. I can't but my finger on exactly what sets it apart from other soft synths but it just feels....REAL. Immediate. It was a loooong time ago I had so much fun with a VST synth. I'm gonna go further even and say that I prefer it over the Blofeld I had.

Admittedly I didn't know Waldorf were in the software game too...I was pleasantly surprised by Largo and I will definitely try out some of their other instruments.

Sonny Nieuwenhuizen wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 am Admittedly I didn't know Waldorf were in the software game too...I was pleasantly surprised by Largo and I will definitely try out some of their other instruments.
I still like the early 2000's "Attack" drum machine on Waldorf Edition 2, It's very old but pretty characteristic too. Sometimes there is no resolution enough on the buttons when setting values, so small steps do too big sound changes, but still usable.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/waldor ... by-waldorf

Was tempted by this and quite liked the sound. I'd also say it sound better than the Blofeld, though that is not saying much since it's my least favourite hardware synth among the ones I've owned. I'd say for example that the micromonsta sounds so much better.

Ultimately though considering the outdated GUI and it not being multi-touch compatible I got Thorn instead, which though heavier on CPU has a sound I like more and also a more modern resizeable GUI. Also $10 cheaper.

:smack:

Just shows again how subjective it is sometimes. :) Thorn never did anything for me.

rafa1981 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:35 am
Sonny Nieuwenhuizen wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 am Admittedly I didn't know Waldorf were in the software game too...I was pleasantly surprised by Largo and I will definitely try out some of their other instruments.
I still like the early 2000's "Attack" drum machine on Waldorf Edition 2, It's very old but pretty characteristic too. Sometimes there is no resolution enough on the buttons when setting values, so small steps do too big sound changes, but still usable.

Thanks for that tip! Much appreciated.

maschinelf wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:27 am Was tempted by this and quite liked the sound. I'd also say it sound better than the Blofeld, though that is not saying much since it's my least favourite hardware synth among the ones I've owned. I'd say for example that the micromonsta sounds so much better.

Ultimately though considering the outdated GUI and it not being multi-touch compatible I got Thorn instead, which though heavier on CPU has a sound I like more and also a more modern resizeable GUI. Also $10 cheaper.
For me it's not only the sound that I prefer but also the direct interface. Like I said, I don't know why this synth has my preference over other wavetable synths but it just has a very direct and almost tactile feel to it.

I'll have a look at Thorn. I own Tantra so I might feel familiar in Thorn too. I'm a bit tempted by Initial Audios Sektor too, but already having Dune, Serum, Avenger, Wavetable and now Largo, I might be set on the wavetable front for a while.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:45 am :smack:

Just shows again how subjective it is sometimes. :) Thorn never did anything for me.
+1
Thorn to me sounds very harsh and bright in an unpleasant way, but than again, Spire is one of my most used synths along with Hive 2. I read you don't like Hive, so...yeah, it is subjective. :)

Sonny Nieuwenhuizen wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:54 am
rafa1981 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:35 am

Thanks for that tip! Much appreciated.
That 6pole (or whatever the name was) is a nice filter too. Very digital flavor.

v1o wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 am If you think the the patch browser is bad here wait till you try PPG Wave V3. The factory pages don't even have names they're just numbers.
Waiting for 29€ deal for that too :hyper:

SneakyBeats wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:25 pm
v1o wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 am If you think the the patch browser is bad here wait till you try PPG Wave V3. The factory pages don't even have names they're just numbers.
Waiting for 29€ deal for that too :hyper:
Are you hoping/waiting/wishing or knowing it'll come? :) Edit: 'cause if you're not sure, I might go for that pack today.
Last edited by Sonny Nieuwenhuizen on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonny Nieuwenhuizen wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:59 amFor me it's not only the sound that I prefer but also the direct interface. Like I said, I don't know why this synth has my preference over other wavetable synths but it just has a very direct and almost tactile feel to it.

I'll have a look at Thorn. I own Tantra so I might feel familiar in Thorn too. I'm a bit tempted by Initial Audios Sektor too, but already having Dune, Serum, Avenger, Wavetable and now Largo, I might be set on the wavetable front for a while.
Yea I did like Largo but everything considered and the current state of both I just liked Thorn more. Thorn also has a direct interface, probably more so.

maschinelf wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:04 pm
Sonny Nieuwenhuizen wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:59 amFor me it's not only the sound that I prefer but also the direct interface. Like I said, I don't know why this synth has my preference over other wavetable synths but it just has a very direct and almost tactile feel to it.

Yea I did like Largo but everything considered and the current state of both I just liked Thorn more. Thorn also has a direct interface, probably more so.
I might have to demo it then. Tantra is not absolutely direct imo, but maybe they're not as similar as they look! I use it mainly to edit presets.

Return to “Instruments”