Kawai K1 as VSTi - Nils' K1v is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nils K1v

Examigan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:51 pm XP was released 19 years ago and support ended in 2014.
screwdrivers were invented a long time ago and lots of
people still own and use them. whats your point?
a tool is a tool no matter how old it is.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

But a lot of people now use electric screwdrivers because they get the job done faster and with less effort.

The point is every minute a developer spends supporting a handful of users who cling to a dead OS like XP is a minute they are not spending developing the plugin for the majority of us who live in the present.

You keep saying you can make every sound with the synths you already have so let me ask....why are you even here ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:31 am But a lot of people now use electric screwdrivers because they get the job done faster and with less effort.

The point is every minute a developer spends supporting a handful of users who cling to a dead OS like XP is a minute they are not spending developing the plugin for the majority of us who live in the present.

You keep saying you can make every sound with the synths you already have so let me ask....why are you even here ?
I'm kind of wondering the same thing.

I used to play Magic The Gathering. Now, when I was actively playing Standard, and had to keep up with all the new cards, I regularly attended the forums to find out what the hot cards were and the best decks.

Once I stopped competitive play and just played casually with the cards I had, I stopped attending those forums. I didn't need to know what the new cards were and I didn't feel the need to keep telling people there that I had all the cards I needed and didn't need anything new. What would have been the point? They simply would have asked me what I was doing there.

I've reached a point where I just ignore Layzer. There is no point in my telling him he can't use new stuff. He clearly doesn't care. So why waste my breath? Maybe if everybody else here did the same, he'd go away not having anybody to continually tell him his OS is outdated and he can't use new stuff. I really think he gets a thrill out of constantly reminding us how bloated our new OS and software is. Kind of like he's so superior to us because he can make music with matchsticks and super glue.

It got old for me a long time ago. What puzzles me is why people still indulge him.

I guess we all need our entertainment.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:03 pm How about these?

http://www.sysexdb.com/synth_detail.aspx?dv=39
I tried several files from there and couldn't get any of them to load. :shrug:

Does anyone know if there is an INIT Bank available? Would be nice to start from scratch when creating our own patches. I did a bunch of patches for my K1m but didn't even bother saving them when I sold it what seems like a hundred years ago.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:40 am I've reached a point where I just ignore Layzer.
good to hear, i wish certain other forum users would too. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:19 pm Monophonic mode is really clicky... is it like that even on the original hardware? Hmmm...
Can confirm there is clicking in K1v even for some polyphonic sounds that does *not* happen in my actual K1. Also, K1v doesn't seem to respond to aftertouch (again, coming from my K1 for patches that I know respond to aftertouch there).

Really really stellar plugin though! I shouldn't be so amazed that it nails the K1 sound, since it uses the actual waveforms, but it really nails it. And it's a much better editor for my actual K1 than anything else I've found. Thanks Nils!

layzer wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:49 am
wagtunes wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:40 am I've reached a point where I just ignore Layzer.
good to hear, i wish certain other forum users would too. :idea:
The best way to be ignored is to remain silent. :idea:

junkboxraider wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:25 am my actual K1.
Are you able to send and receive sysex from your hardware K1 ?

Anyway I got another complete audio dropout in FL Studio. There is a click and then plugin just won't produce any sound for a few moments.

Hopefully Nils working with the FL Demo will help figure out what's going on. :)

Not to be that guy that rains on the party but is anyone else wondering about the legality of ripping the factory waveforms right from the rom chip ?

It's been bothering me all day. Certainly there is no evil intent in this project and who knows if Kawai still holds a copyright on the samples, even cares for that matter, or has given it's blessing but still it's a question that probably should be asked since the protection of intellectual property is sort of at the core of KVR's ethics.

I'm sure Nils has nothing but the best intentions in this project but I'd hate to see him run into legal issues.

So I'll just let the question drop and wish everyone a good night.

K1 factory banks do have copyright afaik.

PS after some googling I see that the samples are all over the place. However, if Kawai wants to take action, then you are facing trouble.

I once contacted Roland about the SR-JV80-06 Dance card and it was still a big deal for them. They said they had to contact their juridical team in Japan. So I decided not to use it.

Thanks for sharing this Nils. It sounds really good.

One thing though: It seems that GUI re-sizing isn't remembered. It always opens up large, which is fine on big monitors but a pain on smaller laptop screens.

excuse me please wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:26 am PS after some googling I see that the samples are all over the place. However, if Kawai wants to take action, then you are facing trouble.

I once contacted Roland about the SR-JV80-06 Dance card and it was still a big deal for them. They said they had to contact their juridical team in Japan. So I decided not to use it.
Roland is much more anal about that sort of stuff than almost any other synth vendor.

If Kawai started to litigate to protect the copyright on 8 bit samples then we will know that 16 and 24 bit sampling was all a waste of time and people really only ever wanted that rough gritty sound all along.

But if they do then expect to see a whole bunch of new digital synths sampled in glorious 8 bit hit the market !

This was all over the original Deus Ex game soundtrack :love:
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

Return to “Instruments”