Stutter Edit 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:25 pm
audiot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 pmLet me know if the resizing works.
Just tested - I get the same results as you in Cubase 10.5.2, it forgets the resize when the project re-launches.
I reported this to iZotope on their support page. Lets hope they fix this with the next update.

Clipnotic, are you using Ableton? The way that Ableton handles plug-in delay compensation with third party effects (i.e. not very well) could be what is causing your lack of tightness/fluidity, especially if you are using effects on the master channel.

thanks! No, I'm using FL Studio and I had the problem with Stutter Edit 1 some years ago. I will test V2 in the next days! Meanwhile FL Studio is very good optimized

It's still clever but that sound is so d-dd-da-dat-dated. Hyper edited tracks in general. IMO

lwj wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:31 pm It's still clever but that sound is so d-dd-da-dat-dated. Hyper edited tracks in general. IMO
:?: ... the factory presets maybe, but SE2 is still great for layering different effects on a timeline to make build-ups and breaks. I rarely use the stutter module :shrug: SE2 is capable of doing more than just glitch, dnb and stuff like that. The limitation to two bars is a bit annoying sometimes, but you can override that by creating two sequences that are played one after another.

audiot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:05 pm
lwj wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:31 pm It's still clever but that sound is so d-dd-da-dat-dated. Hyper edited tracks in general. IMO
:?: ... the factory presets maybe, but SE2 is still great for layering different effects on a timeline to make build-ups and breaks. I rarely use the stutter module :shrug: SE2 is capable of doing more than just glitch, dnb and stuff like that. The limitation to two bars is a bit annoying sometimes, but you can override that by creating two sequences that are played one after another.
No I meant the whole sound of it.. and I guess that style of producing. It’s just not exciting anymore, like filter sweeps and risers... relics of a bygone era. Maybe one day there will be like retro-glitchwave or something.

Again, just my view.

lwj wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:19 pm
audiot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:05 pm :?: ... the factory presets maybe, but SE2 is still great for layering different effects on a timeline to make build-ups and breaks. I rarely use the stutter module :shrug: SE2 is capable of doing more than just glitch, dnb and stuff like that. The limitation to two bars is a bit annoying sometimes, but you can override that by creating two sequences that are played one after another.
No I meant the whole sound of it.. and I guess that style of producing. It’s just not exciting anymore, like filter sweeps and risers... relics of a bygone era. Maybe one day there will be like retro-glitchwave or something.

Again, just my view.
Imho it's more related to genres than eras - in what genres was glitching a really big thing and is not used anymore at all in contemporary productions?
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

So, Stutter Edit is dated, but Model D, 303 and D-50 are not? :ud:

Surely some trends come and go, but probably every style that once was popular is still produced by someone, somewhere. It's a generation thing more than music discussion.

I mean, I don't care. SE still does great job in trance and probably any EDM style I'm into.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I don't think in genres, really.. most of the stuff I listen to falls outside neat classifications like that. But there have been plenty, not just music actually. Max Headroom was a glitch aesthetic way back in the 80's. In the 90's you had the Warp artists, breakcore, IDM and whatnot. Windowlicker was a legit hit, sortof. Bjork was a mainstream world star. There was another wave of it with artists like Apparat, Trentemoller and the advent of DAW/laptop-production. It was a thing in leftfield hiphop and by now we're around the early 00's. There were films like the Matrix, Pi, Memento, Requiem for a Dream. Even B-rate tv-action series were employing at this point.

There was another surge of sorts around dubstep and all the styles that came out of that. But that also quickly became about huge, massive sounds in spartan arrangements.. in ways the very opposite of what a lot of what a guy like Apparat, or BT.. were doing with it. And by then it had become kind of cheap parlour trick, afforded by conveniently marketed plugins specifically built for it. Press F to glitch. Again, quite the opposite of the hyper detail-oriented, forward thinking production aestethic it used to represent.

Speaking for my own tastes as someone who has loved and made 'wrong sounding' music all his life.. it's just dull. It doesn't sound 'wrong' or out there anymore.. it's not surprising anymore. It sounds like someone opened up a can of stutter edit because they thought their track was boring. Maybe it's just a boring track?

More specifically on Stutter Edit, it doesn't do a whole lot of things I can't do with Ableton, many Reason ensembles, M4L devices, Cableguys or whoever. A lot of these are a LOT more interesting than what Stutter Edit has to offer.
There's spectral processing now, sound-morphing, all kinds of weird synthesis and granular methods... eg. way more interesting ways to pull sounds apart than just chopping them up real fast.

That's not to say it can't be a nice programmable multi-effect or handy in a live situation. Just that it doesn't stand out as anything particularly new or exciting to me. Or worth the asking price, if you're somewhat aware of what else is out there in terms of free and cheap Reaktor, M4L stuff.. or even included in regular old Ableton expansion packs and DAWs.

@warmonger: I get your point.. but again, I'm merely speaking from my own perspective here. It's not an attack on anyone's tastes. It's not exciting to me, because I've heard it for so long. For the record, I've never liked Trance.. and yeah, Model D... pretty f**king tired of hearing that sound plastered all over every business techno release. I'm digging the 303 again, after a long time... but in a kind of ironic way? If you bring the TB out now, you better be prepared to go balls to the wall with it.. or have an actual fresh musical take on it.

lwj wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:29 am I'm digging the 303 again, after a long time... but in a kind of ironic way
Is there another way? :hihi: You cant make a 303 sound good ... that's imposible :smack: :wink:

But yeah ... the 303 seems to be a big thing at the moment. One of the last parties I attended before corona was an acid rave ... i hate acid techno, but my friends said that this would be the best party for that evening :roll: A few hippies and lots of hipsters. The 303 should be forbidden in my opinion :hihi:

BTW: If you like ironic 303's you should check out these guys :hihi: ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IQLk-LF1JY

lwj wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:29 ambreakcore, IDM and whatnot. Windowlicker was a legit hit, sortof
Ah ok, no idea what's in the charts over the last few years tbh. I mostly listen to bass-heavy stuff such as DNB, Electronica, IDM, Chillstep and the artists I like usually are not really mainstream stars. There is always development in terms of sound design and I do enjoy some good spectral mangling and morphing and stuff like wavetable synthesis with LFO point modulation, but all the various old and new forms of glitching are still extremely relevant imho.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

After trying it out I have to say that the upper limit of 2 Bars is not a good thing at all. In general it's a good plugin, but other plugins such as Shaperbox allow for much longer patterns nowadays.

metaside wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:57 am After trying it out I have to say that the upper limit of 2 Bars is not a good thing at all. In general it's a good plugin, but other plugins such as Shaperbox allow for much longer patterns nowadays.
You can create two sequences that are played one after another (fiddly but it works).

But yes ... i was also hoping for at least 4 bars in version 2 :?

lwj wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:19 pm
audiot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Again, just my view.
Agreed, in most part.
But not only era and genre, but HOW you use the effect.
E.g. you can renew the approach by using unconvenrional source material in the effect, or combine different effects, or by mixing the effect creatively.

audiot wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:52 am
metaside wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:57 am After trying it out I have to say that the upper limit of 2 Bars is not a good thing at all. In general it's a good plugin, but other plugins such as Shaperbox allow for much longer patterns nowadays.
You can create two sequences that are played one after another (fiddly but it works).

But yes ... i was also hoping for at least 4 bars in version 2 :?
Yeah, thanks for the idea! I don't mind controlling effects with MIDI and automation, it just kinda sucks when you compare it to stuff like Shaperbox in which you can go from 1/128 to 32 Bars (StutterEdit v2 goes from 1/16 to 2 Bars). Apart from that I mostly really like the v2.

Return to “Effects”