Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

fedesilva wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:00 pm
jamcat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:17 pm
dupont wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:39 pm nothing special for EDM producers, still no parameters automation.
That's the best new feature of Studio One 5.

A certain segment wanted PreSonus to add a bunch of gimmicky garbage for bedroom "beatmakers" and other non-musicians. PreSonus took Studio One in exactly the opposite direction. :clap:

After reviewing the new features, a clear direction emerges:
PreSonus has taken Studio One out of the bedroom.

ALL of the new features are aimed at working musicians and engineers—either composing, or gigging, or working in professional recording studios.

Forget Bitwig and Live. PreSonus are gunning for the big fish, and they have Pro Tools in their sights now.
Agree. I like that they are focusing more on mixing and musicians, and not adding a bunch of stupid features to help non musicians create more loop based mechanical music. That type of music will be created by Artificial Intelligence in the near future anyway, so... you can just wait and buy a AI software that makes the music for you. And if you just want to push buttons, you still have Ableton.
Disagree with both of you, what Presonus should be doing is getting the balance right between different user groups instead of going down this narrow road of segmented focus on one group of users in particular per release.

When you compare what 5.0 brings in comparison to it's, previous offerings, it's very weak really, with features that one could consider general maintenance additions like mixer scenes, and things which were asked for 5, 6 years ago like some basic notation. Things included which have been standard in other DAWs for 20, 30 years like midi sync.. Fusing midi and audio to be in one track rather than two... fixing problems that should have been fixed in maintenance updates like monitoring.

Five whole years, stuck with an inferior GUI system where you can't dynamically scale the built-in plugins by percentages as you can with other plugins from other developers like U-HE. Fundamental and important stuff like fonts, scalability and visibility quality of them. In previous updates we had core stuff like performance improved, which applies to everyone who uses the software.

What expense is that going to come in development time to things they implemented but still need significant improvement on like scratch pads, multi-instruments node system, workflow aspects like one knob click automation between different effect devices ( LFO Connect to Pro EQ Parameters for example) and a fundamental node system to network all this out.

Out of the bedroom and into pro studio's ? Where is that surround sound support then ? Improvements to the video system to match that of Cubase, Pro Tools and Cakewalk By Bandlab with a video time line....

Cakewalk By Band Lab

Times have changed since the 80s and 90s, the big studio's of yesteryear are now the bedroom studios of today...
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

antic604 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:02 pm Hmmmm....

https://youtu.be/XgQpz-IygMQ
Hope folks like him keep pointing things like this out. I know it's not sexy to list "unf*cked timing" in a set of release notes but things like this are truly fundamental.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:05 pm

Hope folks like him keep pointing things like this out. I know it's not sexy to list "unf*cked timing" in a set of release notes but things like this are truly fundamental.
That guy's a hack, don't trust him. :hihi:

Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:20 pm

You would know! So duly noted. :hihi:

thebutler wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:32 am
tonedef71 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:26 pm I originally had Melodyne Studio 4.2 installed. I uninstalled it so that I could install Melodyne Essentials 5.
Hi - can I quickly ask, what's going on here... you had to perform the downgrade because Melodyne Studio v4.2 is not compatible with StudioOne Pro v5..? Aren't you going to miss a ton of stuff now..? Or there was something else...?

TIA
thebutler
I thought that I had responded to this already, but I guess I forgot to hit the "submit" button.

Melodyne Studio v4.2 is compatible with Studio One Pro v5. I believe it would be problematic to try to have two versions of Melodyne installed. I wanted to experience Melodyne 5's ARA2 integration with Studio One Pro v5, so I uninstalled Melodyne Studio v4.2 and installed Melodyne 5 essential.

Thinking about it now, I may go back to Melodyne Studio v4.2 (even though I only use the most basic features of Melodyne); I am not sure that the ARA2 integration experience is even noticeable in Studio One Pro v5.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:38 pm
thebutler wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:32 am
tonedef71 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:26 pm I originally had Melodyne Studio 4.2 installed. I uninstalled it so that I could install Melodyne Essentials 5.
Hi - can I quickly ask, what's going on here... you had to perform the downgrade because Melodyne Studio v4.2 is not compatible with StudioOne Pro v5..? Aren't you going to miss a ton of stuff now..? Or there was something else...?

TIA
thebutler
I thought that I had responded to this already, but I guess I forgot to hit the "submit" button.

Melodyne Studio v4.2 is compatible with Studio One Pro v5. I believe it would be problematic to try to have two versions of Melodyne installed. I wanted to experience Melodyne 5's ARA2 integration with Studio One Pro v5, so I uninstalled Melodyne Studio v4.2 and installed Melodyne 5 essential.

Thinking about it now, I may go back to Melodyne Studio v4.2 (even though I only use the most basic features of Melodyne); I am not sure that the ARA2 integration experience is even noticeable in Studio One Pro v5.
Ah.! Ok, thanks for that... hadn't seen others talk of using their Melodyne Studio v4.2 after the StudioOne Pro v5 upgrade in this thread ;-)

In any case, have decided I'm holding off on the move for a while this time; wait for a cheaper upgrade option... S1 v4.6.2 and Cubase doing the business fine for me for now.
Last edited by thebutler on Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

-nko- wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:00 pm Any of you using v5 has noticed improvements in stability on Mac??
Not particularly, no. I have a project that refuses to playback in v5 no matter what I do. It just opens and when I hit play it doesn't do anything, works fine in v4. I have a project that crashes every time I open it in S1, that has been happening since V4. Still happens.

In general I don't see it as being more stable than V4. I really like S1 but it has weird behavior on Macs and that's been the case since I started using S1 (2.x).

I had this weird bug where the Scratch Pad window wasn't aligned and the arranger track area didn't lineup properly with the content. Luckily dragging the window border over a bit fixed the issue, but I see weird behavior like that all the time in S1.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

People have been saying that S1's midi is not tight for years. It's a known issues that Presonus refuses to acknowledge or address. Hopefully AdmiralBumbleBee specifically targeting them will get their asses in gear.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

This doesn't affect midi to VST instruments in ITB projects right?

Guys, do you know if they finally improved VST (fx) performance?
Just Acustica Audio's El Rey brought it down to its knees (pro 4.5).

tonedef71 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:24 pm The theremin is an instrument that almost anyone can play without any training. Has anyone developed a digital/electronic kazoo? I suppose a musically keen ear is still needed to pull off anything listenable.
Really? I never played a theremin, but it seems to me is not an easy instrument to play, at least if you have any intention of playing any kind of tonal music. For what I've seen it requires a lot of training to get the notes right because you are mostly using an imaginary line between your body and the instrument.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:50 pm
fedesilva wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:00 pm
jamcat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:17 pm
dupont wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:39 pm nothing special for EDM producers, still no parameters automation.
That's the best new feature of Studio One 5.

A certain segment wanted PreSonus to add a bunch of gimmicky garbage for bedroom "beatmakers" and other non-musicians. PreSonus took Studio One in exactly the opposite direction. :clap:

After reviewing the new features, a clear direction emerges:
PreSonus has taken Studio One out of the bedroom.

ALL of the new features are aimed at working musicians and engineers—either composing, or gigging, or working in professional recording studios.

Forget Bitwig and Live. PreSonus are gunning for the big fish, and they have Pro Tools in their sights now.
Agree. I like that they are focusing more on mixing and musicians, and not adding a bunch of stupid features to help non musicians create more loop based mechanical music. That type of music will be created by Artificial Intelligence in the near future anyway, so... you can just wait and buy a AI software that makes the music for you. And if you just want to push buttons, you still have Ableton.
When you compare what 5.0 brings in comparison to it's, previous offerings, it's very weak really, with features that one could consider general maintenance additions like mixer scenes, and things which were asked for 5, 6 years ago like some basic notation. Things included which have been standard in other DAWs for 20, 30 years like midi sync.. Fusing midi and audio to be in one track rather than two... fixing problems that should have been fixed in maintenance updates like monitoring.
I agree with this too, the changes are not a lot and we are still missing updates in some areas, I think what we were pointing out was that at least the changes don't go in the wrong direction, and, even if they are insufficient at least they are targeted at musicians and engineers more than beatmakers.

canadianlight wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 pm

This doesn't affect midi to VST instruments in ITB projects right?
If it's MIDI to Instrument during playback, it does not affect it. e.g. if you pencil in MIDI then hit play, this particular issue does not affect that situation.

There is another issue among DAWs that does affect that, but as the saying goes, "That's a whole 'nother can of worms".

fedesilva wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:24 pm
tonedef71 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:24 pm The theremin is an instrument that almost anyone can play without any training. Has anyone developed a digital/electronic kazoo? I suppose a musically keen ear is still needed to pull off anything listenable.
Really? I never played a theremin, but it seems to me is not an easy instrument to play, at least if you have any intention of playing any kind of tonal music. For what I've seen it requires a lot of training to get the notes right because you are mostly using an imaginary line between your body and the instrument.
I guess tonedef71 never touched a real theremin? Then again the best theremin players on this planet doesn't touched one either. :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 pm e.g. if you pencil in MIDI then hit play
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Studio One is O.K. on this front right?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”