Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

canadianlight wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:50 pm
Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 pm e.g. if you pencil in MIDI then hit play
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Studio One is O.K. on this front right?
Relative to the video/article I posted, yes.

Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:59 pm
Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 pm e.g. if you pencil in MIDI then hit play
I meant that S1 doesn't have that other issue right?

Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 pm
canadianlight wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 pm
Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:20 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:05 pm
antic604 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:02 pm Hmmmm....

https://youtu.be/XgQpz-IygMQ
Hope folks like him keep pointing things like this out. I know it's not sexy to list "unf*cked timing" in a set of release notes but things like this are truly fundamental.
That guy's a hack, don't trust him. :hihi:
This doesn't affect midi to VST instruments in ITB projects right?
If it's MIDI to Instrument during playback, it does not affect it. e.g. if you pencil in MIDI then hit play, this particular issue does not affect that situation.

There is another issue among DAWs that does affect that, but as the saying goes, "That's a whole 'nother can of worms".
Can you explain exactly what you're doing here?
I went to abercrombie.com but couldn't find any info about the tests.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

canadianlight wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:07 pm
Studio One (and other products, of course!) has various issues with timing.

I'm purposely being vague because I've learned long ago to not make statements about these things unless I've done my due diligence (testing protocol, evidence, potential mechanisms etc..) and prepared how I'm going to communicate the information.

I'm not the gatekeeper of information either. Any can come up with test protocols, ideas for why things work the way they are, and discuss them with other people to work towards understanding what/why/how of product functionality.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if I never had to make content again like this because the community in general was on the ball with keeping these companies honest about the basic functionality of their products.

Robert, did you have dropout protection enabled? Does the difference between maximum dropout protection and none at all impact this?

antic604 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:02 pm Hmmmm....

https://youtu.be/XgQpz-IygMQ
This a million times
Sad that after 10 years they still didn't adress it , I suspect it's their own midi format that is causing this ( it converts incoming regular midi to their own proprietary format ) .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Regarding the above video, it is my understanding that you are using a hardware sequencer to trigger a VSTi in Studio One, and the live monitoring has wonky timing, but the recorded MIDI and recorded playback are in time?

The video is a bit hard to follow what the source of the audio and MIDI are are each step. That's what I'm wondering about, specifically.

My next question is, when would you realistically run into this timing bug?
Usually you would be using Studio One to trigger a hardware synth, not the other way around.
This bug doesn't affect the new Aux tracks, right?

Then again , some people don't experience timing problems at all , as seen here
https://youtu.be/sPZJgvpVujM
Eyeball exchanging

jamcat wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:06 pm
Usually you would be using Studio One to trigger a hardware synth, not the other way around.
And why not , if studio one would convert incoming midi flawlesly , it would serve as a fine vst host ( triggered by external hardware )
Eyeball exchanging

[/quote]
This doesn't affect midi to VST instruments in ITB projects right?
[/quote]

No it doesn't , that's works perfectly fine.
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:21 pm
And why not , if studio one would convert incoming midi flawlesly , it would serve as a fine vst host ( triggered by external hardware )
Right. Upon further reflection, I realized there should be no difference between triggering a VSTi with a hardware sequencer and playing a VSTi live with a midi keyboard controller, which I do all the time with flawless timing (Studio One, not me!) I think I would notice if there was an intermittent lag on some notes while I played Pianoteq or such, and I have never experienced anything as the like.

But I'm still not sure exactly what this test is doing, and what it's testing for. I noticed in the video, the bpm was constantly fluctuating on the hardware sequencer. Is that an important component to the test? Was it receiving some tempo change information?

Ah c'mon, it's like you're not aware of the adage "if it's broke, don't fix it".

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

jamcat wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:32 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:21 pm
Right. Upon further reflection, I realized there should be no difference between triggering a VSTi with a hardware sequencer and playing a VSTi live with a midi keyboard controller, which I do all the time with flawless timing (Studio One, not me!)
There is a difference between playing a vsti with your midi keyboard and triggering multiple vst’s with a H.W. Seq.
Eyeball exchanging

This narrative of bedroom beatmakers not being professional or musicians are hilarious especially during times like this when gigging musicians can't gig and bedroom producers are the only ones making any money selling music at the moment :hihi: .

And AI has been making singer song writer music for years now especially with Toontrack completing the trio of EZ Keys, EZ Drums and EZ Bass, it's EZier than ever to make music that pretends to be a real "musician."

But company's are always gonna go where the trends and the money is, and that's all pointing towards at-home producers regardless of what genre of music they're making. Although for live use during actual shows Ableton is still the king but I'm happy to see other DAWs try and close that gap, and happier to see Presonus release a controller like Atom SQ that will make it easier.
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:50 pm
fedesilva wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:00 pm
jamcat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:17 pm
dupont wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:39 pm nothing special for EDM producers, still no parameters automation.
That's the best new feature of Studio One 5.

A certain segment wanted PreSonus to add a bunch of gimmicky garbage for bedroom "beatmakers" and other non-musicians. PreSonus took Studio One in exactly the opposite direction. :clap:

After reviewing the new features, a clear direction emerges:
PreSonus has taken Studio One out of the bedroom.

ALL of the new features are aimed at working musicians and engineers—either composing, or gigging, or working in professional recording studios.

Forget Bitwig and Live. PreSonus are gunning for the big fish, and they have Pro Tools in their sights now.
Agree. I like that they are focusing more on mixing and musicians, and not adding a bunch of stupid features to help non musicians create more loop based mechanical music. That type of music will be created by Artificial Intelligence in the near future anyway, so... you can just wait and buy a AI software that makes the music for you. And if you just want to push buttons, you still have Ableton.
Disagree with both of you, what Presonus should be doing is getting the balance right between different user groups instead of going down this narrow road of segmented focus on one group of users in particular per release.

When you compare what 5.0 brings in comparison to it's, previous offerings, it's very weak really, with features that one could consider general maintenance additions like mixer scenes, and things which were asked for 5, 6 years ago like some basic notation. Things included which have been standard in other DAWs for 20, 30 years like midi sync.. Fusing midi and audio to be in one track rather than two... fixing problems that should have been fixed in maintenance updates like monitoring.

Five whole years, stuck with an inferior GUI system where you can't dynamically scale the built-in plugins by percentages as you can with other plugins from other developers like U-HE. Fundamental and important stuff like fonts, scalability and visibility quality of them. In previous updates we had core stuff like performance improved, which applies to everyone who uses the software.

What expense is that going to come in development time to things they implemented but still need significant improvement on like scratch pads, multi-instruments node system, workflow aspects like one knob click automation between different effect devices ( LFO Connect to Pro EQ Parameters for example) and a fundamental node system to network all this out.

Out of the bedroom and into pro studio's ? Where is that surround sound support then ? Improvements to the video system to match that of Cubase, Pro Tools and Cakewalk By Bandlab with a video time line....

Cakewalk By Band Lab

Times have changed since the 80s and 90s, the big studio's of yesteryear are now the bedroom studios of today...

Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:28 pm
canadianlight wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:07 pm
Studio One (and other products, of course!) has various issues with timing.

I'm purposely being vague because I've learned long ago to not make statements about these things unless I've done my due diligence (testing protocol, evidence, potential mechanisms etc..) and prepared how I'm going to communicate the information.

I'm not the gatekeeper of information either. Any can come up with test protocols, ideas for why things work the way they are, and discuss them with other people to work towards understanding what/why/how of product functionality.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if I never had to make content again like this because the community in general was on the ball with keeping these companies honest about the basic functionality of their products.
Very useful info and links in your website :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”