Help me choose my first polyphonic synth.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tino Fiumara wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm
Paulmapp8306 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:09 am I think Peak personally.

I have a Peak - which I chose over a P12 and Rev 2 - though it was a hard choice. Definitely a better choice than P12 (great synth - but no hands on control in module form - and the Peak just does a little more while sounding pretty similar) but Rev2 does still niggle at me.

Im also thinking of selling it now (18 months down the line) to fund a P6/OB6. Basically because I now know more of what I want/need (Peak was my first proper synth rather then workstation/keyboard). Ive added a used Virus Ti2 recently - which while not analogue a tall does a very nice job. Its older, it has limitations in some areas, but its multi-timbral and has more modulation options which suits the live thing better.

Why sell it though? its still great.... well its mono timbral and has no programable arp or sequencer - and for the classic 80s sound.... while it CAN its a little modern sounding - so a P6 or OB6 would take its place. (probably the P6 - while I like the OB6 sound slightly more - 1 LFO puts me off and of course behringer has an OBXa clone coming which I might add IF its any good).

Peak is great to learn subtractive synthesis - its great for wavetables, has limited FM and does some things other synths cant. It is however (as I said) a more modern sounding - and if you particularly wanted a "older" vibe then a Deep Mind or Prologue/minilogue might suit better.
Thanks for the reply, the Peak was one of my top options but is a shame that doesn't have a keboard version. I'm planning to buy a 4 or 5 octaves keyboard synth and use it as MIDI controller too, so I kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm aiming for a Rev2, but like you said, I also like the OB6/P6, but is out of my reach, I'm going to wait a few months to see what happens. What do you think about the Rev2?
No keyboard, so why not a Summit? 16 voice dual layer Peak.

I’ve got...

Peak: Nice synth but it has a very sort of focused sound... even when it’s dirty it’s clean, if that makes any sense. Nice to cut though a dense mix, but without some heavy post processing, you won’t get a true analog vibe from it. Don’t be fooled by the knobby interface, it will involve quite a bit of menu diving that’s not fun. (I bought a VST editor) Single layer.

Prophet 12 desktop: More of a dreamy, hazy kind of sound. More of everything except waveforms. Not as knobby, but a much better and easier to use interface than the Peak. If the Peak is a lightsaber, the Prophet 12 is a Tauntaun belly. If there’s a synth that’s perfect for doing a Twin Peaks soundtrack, it’s the Prophet 12. Dual layers and lots of modulation mean you never get board.

REV2: I thought the 12 could be enough of that DSI Curtis filter sound for me... but no. There’s a buzziness to it that I just love. It’s like the sonic equivalent of an old Edison lightbulb. Lots of modulation and two layers/splits.

Prophet 6: Bread & Butter analog. All sweet spot in a way that the 12 and REV2 are not, but much more limited. In a way it’s probably the best way to start, because no matter what you get in the future, it will pair nicely with the Prophet 6. It’s one synth that’s pretty much in every thing I do, even if that must means a pad to glue a mix together.

002r. My favorite sounding poly. Tons of great sounding waveforms and a beautiful sounding filter with pole morphing. If you can find one, nab it. Terrible interface and no keyboard, though. The keyboard version is better for programming but expensive. A bit quirky, but worth it.

Analog Four. Not a lot of voices, but a very cool vibe and interesting sequencer. Really interesting way you can run the LFOs at audio rates and tie them to note numbers. There’s a keyboard version as well.

Anyway, from that I’d say that my advice is to try and pick up a Prophet 6 if you can... or OB-6, depending on your sonic preference. I say it because it’s like a good black suit/dress. You should just have one in your closet. You can then dress it up with other instruments in the future to add abilities and other flavors, but you still have that solid base.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Segon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:46 am Another one for the Peak. Especially since the firmware update. Beautiful synth for the price.
Thank you, the Peak is a very good option, but I realized that I also need a 4 octave + keyboard and I have saved more money since I made this post, maybe I should make another one in the future.

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:37 am
Tino Fiumara wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm
Paulmapp8306 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:09 am I think Peak personally.

I have a Peak - which I chose over a P12 and Rev 2 - though it was a hard choice. Definitely a better choice than P12 (great synth - but no hands on control in module form - and the Peak just does a little more while sounding pretty similar) but Rev2 does still niggle at me.

Im also thinking of selling it now (18 months down the line) to fund a P6/OB6. Basically because I now know more of what I want/need (Peak was my first proper synth rather then workstation/keyboard). Ive added a used Virus Ti2 recently - which while not analogue a tall does a very nice job. Its older, it has limitations in some areas, but its multi-timbral and has more modulation options which suits the live thing better.

Why sell it though? its still great.... well its mono timbral and has no programable arp or sequencer - and for the classic 80s sound.... while it CAN its a little modern sounding - so a P6 or OB6 would take its place. (probably the P6 - while I like the OB6 sound slightly more - 1 LFO puts me off and of course behringer has an OBXa clone coming which I might add IF its any good).

Peak is great to learn subtractive synthesis - its great for wavetables, has limited FM and does some things other synths cant. It is however (as I said) a more modern sounding - and if you particularly wanted a "older" vibe then a Deep Mind or Prologue/minilogue might suit better.
Thanks for the reply, the Peak was one of my top options but is a shame that doesn't have a keboard version. I'm planning to buy a 4 or 5 octaves keyboard synth and use it as MIDI controller too, so I kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm aiming for a Rev2, but like you said, I also like the OB6/P6, but is out of my reach, I'm going to wait a few months to see what happens. What do you think about the Rev2?
No keyboard, so why not a Summit? 16 voice dual layer Peak.

I’ve got...

Peak: Nice synth but it has a very sort of focused sound... even when it’s dirty it’s clean, if that makes any sense. Nice to cut though a dense mix, but without some heavy post processing, you won’t get a true analog vibe from it. Don’t be fooled by the knobby interface, it will involve quite a bit of menu diving that’s not fun. (I bought a VST editor) Single layer.

Prophet 12 desktop: More of a dreamy, hazy kind of sound. More of everything except waveforms. Not as knobby, but a much better and easier to use interface than the Peak. If the Peak is a lightsaber, the Prophet 12 is a Tauntaun belly. If there’s a synth that’s perfect for doing a Twin Peaks soundtrack, it’s the Prophet 12. Dual layers and lots of modulation mean you never get board.

REV2: I thought the 12 could be enough of that DSI Curtis filter sound for me... but no. There’s a buzziness to it that I just love. It’s like the sonic equivalent of an old Edison lightbulb. Lots of modulation and two layers/splits.

Prophet 6: Bread & Butter analog. All sweet spot in a way that the 12 and REV2 are not, but much more limited. In a way it’s probably the best way to start, because no matter what you get in the future, it will pair nicely with the Prophet 6. It’s one synth that’s pretty much in every thing I do, even if that must means a pad to glue a mix together.

002r. My favorite sounding poly. Tons of great sounding waveforms and a beautiful sounding filter with pole morphing. If you can find one, nab it. Terrible interface and no keyboard, though. The keyboard version is better for programming but expensive. A bit quirky, but worth it.

Analog Four. Not a lot of voices, but a very cool vibe and interesting sequencer. Really interesting way you can run the LFOs at audio rates and tie them to note numbers. There’s a keyboard version as well.

Anyway, from that I’d say that my advice is to try and pick up a Prophet 6 if you can... or OB-6, depending on your sonic preference. I say it because it’s like a good black suit/dress. You should just have one in your closet. You can then dress it up with other instruments in the future to add abilities and other flavors, but you still have that solid base.
Thanks fot this comment brother, very informative, I'm going to wait ultil next year to save more money and then I'll decide. To many options these days, Jupiter X, U.D.O Super 6, Prophet X (Too expensive), Nord Wave 2, and all those that you mentioned.

@OP whats wrong with behringer?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 am @OP whats wrong with behringer?
I havent had good experiences with their products.

Tino Fiumara wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:01 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 am @OP whats wrong with behringer?
I havent had good experiences with their products.
Fair enough.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

BONES wrote: My farts come close.
Isn't that more like an anal(og) impression of modular gear?

Anyway, my money is on the hydrasynth desktop which fits very nicely in your budget. Huge possibilities and particulary good at modulation (e.g you have like 5 lfo's and 5 envelopes; 32 modmatrix slots). Can sound digital or do impressive VA. Intuitive UI.

Stefken wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:26 pm my money is on the hydrasynth desktop which fits very nicely in your budget. Huge possibilities and particulary good at modulation (e.g you have like 5 lfo's and 5 envelopes; 32 modmatrix slots). Can sound digital or do impressive VA. Intuitive UI.
That's on my list for when I finish paying off my Deepmind 12 just after Christmas.
The UB-Xa would tempt me too if it's released around then, but I'd have to add a third tier to my keyboard stand and I promised myself I'd stop at one keyboard per hand.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”