Changes in IK Multimedia license transfer policy?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JohnPativens wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:18 am
DCFanatic wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 am I just bought a transfer license of MODO Bass off a guy on vi-control.net and it was a super smooth transfer and transaction. I confirmed with him first that it wasn't an upgrade version. Was not aware that it would now be considered NFR. =/
Look in your user area under my products and search for the Modo license you bought. Do you see the red button for transfering the license? If you don't, that means you can't buy a token and activate an automatic transfer.
You need to contact IKM support team and ask to manually lift the license off the account (like once we used to do with Native Instruments and others).
I'm sure they won't deny the request. Or at least, let's wait someone who reports here to have received a negative response.
Yeah no transfer option available for ModoBass but I do have it available for some Amplitube amps I purchased direct from IKM. I'm keeping both for now but appreciate the heads up on how to potentially get it authorized.
My Setup: Rosce LG3005 & Yamaha CP4 - Komplete Audio 6 Mk2 - Dell XPS15 - GigPerformer - Komplete 12 - Behringer XR18

A company should be able to give a direct answer on the conditions when their products become NFR. IK cannot and/or will not do this. I contacted them directly and got the same verbal run around found earlier in the thread.

Plus, they charge for license transfers. I'm going to say that the number of companies that (a) charge for transfers and (b) make the product NFR is a very small number.

jsp1979 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:33 pm Plus, they charge for license transfers. I'm going to say that the number of companies that (a) charge for transfers and (b) make the product NFR is a very small number.
Well, if they approve the manual license removal there's no transfer fee involved.
Only the very first owner will have to buy and use the token.

I'm not aware of any exceptions to buying the transfer token. If you contact them and they let you transfer, they just raise the limit so you can buy the token.

That's how it worked Feb 2020 for me.

Of course, we wouldn't have these uncertainties if they would just clearly lay out their policies.

jsp1979 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:01 am I'm not aware of any exceptions to buying the transfer token. If you contact them and they let you transfer, they just raise the limit so you can buy the token.
That's how it worked Feb 2020 for me.
Ok, I thought they had some kind of new system that could be overrided only by manually removing licenses off the account.
If they actually can bring back the red transfer button, that changes everything.
Is there someone here who has seen his request denied yet?

I'm giving this thread a bump since what was denied earlier in the thread turns out to be true.

Here is the totality of a reply from a transfer request (including the typo):
Hello [my name],

Thanks for your patience while we got back to you.

Transferred lcienses can not be transferred again.
When I contacted support about this (as instructed in this thread) around the time of this thread when everything seemed to suggest that transferred software could not be transferred again, this was the reply I received to that support ticket:
No official changes have been made since last year but the EULA is being reviewed to better reflect what is possible with the various licenses for additional clarity.

For now, 2nd hand license transfers are not possible via the User Area but can be managed case-by-case with users directly.
Earlier in this thread, we got the following (emphasis mine):
Ryan_IK wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:36 pm Users who have purchased an item second hand (Through use of an LTC) will not see the option for transfer in their account. Due to this, these users must contact IK support for assistance. Each case will be looked into to see how we can help. I do want to assure you guys that no policy changes were made without warning. This is just a change with the new web site. We are looking into the topic moving forward as we have seen so much interest.
So, either it was that way all along during this time and we were lied to about it. Or despite the assurances from Ryan above, it was changed without warning.

So much obfuscation and misdirection from the folks at IK all the time, and when you point it out, you get the condescending replies that make the person pointing out the obvious seem like they're losing their mind over nothing. I hate to use the word since it's overused, but it's accurate: gaslighting. Please spare us the platitutdes.

To reiterate, exactly what was clear was happening did happen: Transferred IK licenses cannot be transferred again.

This IK license holder since 2004 is out for good.
Last edited by jsp1979 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The only thing I'm interested in now is where is this policy spelled out in the license agreements and/or on the website?

jsp1979 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm The only thing I'm interested in now is where is this policy spelled out in the license agreements and/or on the website?
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal/inde ... -agreement
4.5 Software Transfer

You may transfer your rights as Licensee of the software or any IK Multimedia product, as licensed to you under this agreement only with purchasing a license transfer on IK Multimedia official website. The above-mentioned transfer license can be combined with a single “IK Multimedia Product”, and just only once.

jsp1979 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:25 pm To reiterate, exactly what was clear was happening did happen: Transferred IK licenses cannot be transferred again.
They do become NFR once transfered then?

EDIT: Yes :lol:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:13 pm 4.5 Software Transfer

You may transfer your rights as Licensee of the software or any IK Multimedia product, as licensed to you under this agreement only with purchasing a license transfer on IK Multimedia official website. The above-mentioned transfer license can be combined with a single “IK Multimedia Product”, and just only once.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:13 pm
jsp1979 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm The only thing I'm interested in now is where is this policy spelled out in the license agreements and/or on the website?
4.5 Software Transfer

When did this change? Ryan mentioned that the user agreement would not be changed without warning. What warning was given?

JohnPativens wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:16 pm
jsp1979 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:25 pm To reiterate, exactly what was clear was happening did happen: Transferred IK licenses cannot be transferred again.
They do become NFR once transfered then?

EDIT: Yes :lol:
Of course it is. We all knew that's what the policy was going toward from the first post in this thread, but if you read through the whole thing, it's like trying to pin down a politicians to actually answer the question that's asked. Users just want to know what the policy is and what changes have been made.

Why in the world make it so very difficult to get information on what is an important part of a software license? Honestly, can anyone read back through this thread and say that the IK reps made any reasonable attempt to answer the questions?

And IK now joins the short list of companies that charge you for a license fee for transfer AND make the product NFR.

I don't recall this being a change, I just went to the EULA on our web site and searched. If this is different than you have seen in the past you might want to note that in your support ticket as I am unaware of any change. I also don't know what EULA you agreed to during the installation but I'm sure IK Support can help with that too if there is any clarification necessary.

jsp1979 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:43 pm And IK now joins the short list of companies that charge you for a license fee for transfer AND make the product NFR.
Yeah should be one or the other. Charge a fee, or have NFR. Not both.

4.5 Software Transfer

I don't think that's what this paragraph means? It says that the transfer license can be used once (i.e. for one transaction), not that "the software" becomes NFR.

imrae wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm
4.5 Software Transfer

I don't think that's what this paragraph means? It says that the transfer license can be used once (i.e. for one transaction), not that "the software" becomes NFR.
Oh yeah you are probably right. That makes more sense. I didn't think IK product became NFR.

Return to “Instruments”