SlickEQ M 2.0

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FabienTDR wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 am Bootsie was directly involved in the design of most SlickEQ output saturation models. His focus on "stateful" saturation, back then, was justified as a counter-act to the widely used, rather banal waveshaping being marketed as pseudo analogue.
Ah, thank you very much for clearing that up! That's the kind of answer I was looking for :-)

I just like to get to the bottom of things and understand them. In the end, both Thrillseeker and SlickEQ M sound good in their way. Knowing how the saturation works, makes it easier for me to use it correctly. So thank you!

FabienTDR wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 am It's a "lucky" combination of instant upward compression and harmonic enrichment, that keeps inharmonic saturation (IMD) lower than nature would do, making it a great option for mastering. I always wanted to have an exciter that doesn't mess up and yet fills this blind spot not covered by EQ and compression.
I must say, your goal has been achived:-)!

Thank you all for the help and all the best
Matt

Hi! Gentleman bundle`s user here. Hope someone from TDR would read it, I`d really wanted a band solo function in Slick M, because boosting freqs to find those that needs treatment usually leads to bad decisions (in my case at least). I know, Nova has it, so Slick M should as well.I`m writing it now because I`ve recently got an update so I thought I would throw an idea for the next one! Also Brighness\El Curve\Hardness could be independent knobs as well.

Mastering is about listening to and working on the whole mix. No need for band solo in that case, I think. It's a philosophical point. Listen to the mix, decide what needs changing, and change it. At least that's how I work.

Not sure there's room on the GUI for three "Meta Filter" knobs. If you had three of them at the same time, they would no longer function as their name suggests, they would be overriding each other. You could always just chain instances if you really wanted to use two at the same time, shouldn't be a problem on the two-buss/in a mastering context.

The main issue with band solo, right now, is the lack of a concept of "selected band" in SlickEQ M. With a typical drag and drop concept, this is of course given. But SlickEQ M as is, builds on a slightly different approach.

Problem is that SlickEQ M's complexity toward stereo manipulation would make a typical drag and drop presentation somewhat confusing (with countless curves and handles having to be shown above each other, with the center filter not really fitting, the LP filter asking for a rather wide frequency range, the exciters also being somewhat difficult to represent properly on the display).

All this is the main reason why there's no solo. I'm personally not the greatest fan of soloing (because it biases/irritates my hearing in an annoying manner), but I can see why some people would favour such a feature. We'll certainly add this once we find a sensible way to add drag and drop, WYSIWYG abilities.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 pm You could always just chain instances if you really wanted to use two at the same time, shouldn't be a problem on the two-buss/in a mastering context.
Well yes, but it`s not as convenient and more CPU hog, in that case I would need to swicth to eco mods, too many mouse movements, but ok :D
FabienTDR wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 pm The main issue with band solo, right now, is the lack of a concept of "selected band" in SlickEQ M. With a typical drag and drop concept, this is of course given. But SlickEQ M as is, builds on a slightly different approach.

Problem is that SlickEQ M's complexity toward stereo manipulation would make a typical drag and drop presentation somewhat confusing (with countless curves and handles having to be shown above each other, with the center filter not really fitting, the LP filter asking for a rather wide frequency range, the exciters also being somewhat difficult to represent properly on the display).

All this is the main reason why there's no solo. I'm personally not the greatest fan of soloing (because it biases/irritates my hearing in an annoying manner), but I can see why some people would favour such a feature. We'll certainly add this once we find a sensible way to add drag and drop, WYSIWYG abilities.
Ok, i heard you! Much thanks for your explanation and your willingness. TDR is the best :tu:

FabienTDR wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 amSlickEQ M's exciters follow a different objective
Could you share what the idea behind SlickEQ M's LF/HF non-linearity options were, and what it can offer? I'm still very curious about applying it on my mixes, as long as it's not going anywhere...

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”