Bitwig Studio 3.3 announced + beta started

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:25 pm
tooneba wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:54 pm
coroknight wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:24 pm Why does every Bitwig thread devolve into discussing their licensing model? We should really just start linking people to an explanation and get back to discussing the update.
Because it's annoying :hihi: Why don't explicitly say you only get 0.1 update for $140. It looks company is trying to sell things without telling buyer enough idea what is going on.
That is a misunderstanding on your part and simply not true.

If someone buys an update plan and activates it, they will get ANY updates during the following 12 months. If V4 comes out during that time, they get it.
I understand its scheme is based on time frame, but when it is roughly translate it to version number, which is familiar to most buyers, just like that.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:25 pm
coroknight wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:24 pm Why does every Bitwig thread devolve into discussing their licensing model? We should really just start linking people to an explanation and get back to discussing the update.
Because it's annoying :hihi: Why don't explicitly say you only get 0.1 update for $140. It looks company is trying to sell things without telling buyer enough idea what is going on.
That is a misunderstanding on your part and simply not true.

If someone buys an update plan and activates it, they will get ANY updates during the following 12 months. If V4 comes out during that time, they get it.
Exactly. Even if the upgrade “plan” (it’s not really a plan, I mean Komplete doesn’t describe their yearly upgrades as plans) expires, you get all the x.x.x updates. If you want to upgrade to x or x.x, then you need an upgrade.

Not correct. I bought Bitwig at 3.0 in July 2019, I got until 3.2.8 which was in September 2020 surpassing the 1-year update period. Between 3.0 - 3.2.8 good amount of stuff was added and many fixes too. I am happy.
Han

So the wavetable module is pretty sweet.

coroknight wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:18 pm So the wavetable module is pretty sweet.
It is! A very welcome addition. It easily sounds really good.

I would like them to add the unison options to all the Osc types.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:22 pm
coroknight wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:18 pm So the wavetable module is pretty sweet.

I would love unison options on all the oscillators. Easy way to add width and thickness to your sounds.

coroknight wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:57 pm

I would love unison options on all the oscillators. Easy way to add width and thickness to your sounds.
Something different than voice stacking routed to pitch?

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Yes, now you can adjust the unison per-oscillator instead of just the entire synth. I like the granular control.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Yeah.... the voice stacking duplicates the entire structure... Osc unison is only on that Osc. It will use less CPU and also has more options and the options are quick and right at hand... for example 7 and 16 voices on the Wavetable Osc.

Yes, I understand. I’m working right now, but I thought I was using voice stacking on a per oscillator instance, by simply routing to the individual pitch of the oscillator. Anyway, yes, many advantages to the way it’s implemented in the WT osc.

I'm still thinking that bit faster or more comfy the synth building with Phase Plant and doing the smaller things in Grid, Mattias has created a nice review if somebody missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lizjPo2NxG8
and written some pointers about the two environments
Ok, over to Grid vs Phase Plant.
I think they are different environments. I'm by no means a modular guy per se, so I usually use the Grid for quite simple and basic setups (what I need for my sounds is seldom too complicated) as I try to work fast and as long as I find the sound I have in my head I'm happy. Grid takes me there. And Phase Plant can also take me there.

Grid requires more time I think, because the way it's layed out with all these possibilities. But you can do stuff that isn't possible in other environments (except other totally modular systems).
Grid can sidechain (input) audio from external devices / tracks and manipulate them in real time which is a neat feature. So the routing is really sick in Grid.

I want both Phase Plant and Grid in my work. And as Grid is part of Bitwig Studio 3.0 I don't have to worry. It's Natively there!!!

That said, Phase Plant is by far quicker to reach a desired sound. Since the Grid isn't really focused, but rather an open environment.

Phase Plant is more focused when doing quick modulation setups. Really quick to work with. Just setup a default patch where you have a few oscillators, filters, effects etc. pre-loaded...then route modulation however you want in a flash / heartbeat. And get instant visual feedback how to waveshape evolves.

Of course you can do the same pre-setup in Grid, but it takes more time navigating around the Grid to do the same kind of modulation you did in Phase Plant. My two swedish kronor. ;)

In the end I think it's also important to look at performance (cpu demand) etc. with the stuff you are using.
But I try to keep my arrangements quite sparse with Grid and Phase Plant presets. So I might have 2-3 patches of Phase Plant and 1-2 patches of Grid. It doesn't kill the CPU. Works like a charm, but it depends on what you stack up in the modular worlds of course. ;) ...

"That said, Phase Plant is by far quicker to reach a desired sound." - yepp, this what I've experienced myself too, Grid definitely needs more love :)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:39 pm I'm still thinking that bit faster or more comfy the synth building with Phase Plant and doing the smaller things in Grid, Mattias has created a nice review if somebody missed it
I think they are different environments. I'm by no means a modular guy per se, so I usually use the Grid for quite simple and basic setups (what I need for my sounds is seldom too complicated) as I try to work fast and as long as I find the sound I have in my head I'm happy. Grid takes me there. And Phase Plant can also take me there.

Grid requires more time I think, because the way it's layed out with all these possibilities. But you can do stuff that isn't possible in other environments (except other totally modular systems).
Grid can sidechain (input) audio from external devices / tracks and manipulate them in real time which is a neat feature. So the routing is really sick in Grid.

I want both Phase Plant and Grid in my work. And as Grid is part of Bitwig Studio 3.0 I don't have to worry. It's Natively there!!!

That said, Phase Plant is by far quicker to reach a desired sound. Since the Grid isn't really focused, but rather an open environment.

Phase Plant is more focused when doing quick modulation setups. Really quick to work with. Just setup a default patch where you have a few oscillators, filters, effects etc. pre-loaded...then route modulation however you want in a flash / heartbeat. And get instant visual feedback how to waveshape evolves.

Of course you can do the same pre-setup in Grid, but it takes more time navigating around the Grid to do the same kind of modulation you did in Phase Plant. My two swedish kronor. ;)

In the end I think it's also important to look at performance (cpu demand) etc. with the stuff you are using.
But I try to keep my arrangements quite sparse with Grid and Phase Plant presets. So I might have 2-3 patches of Phase Plant and 1-2 patches of Grid. It doesn't kill the CPU. Works like a charm, but it depends on what you stack up in the modular worlds of course. ;) ...

"That said, Phase Plant is by far quicker to reach a desired sound." - yepp, this what I've experienced myself too, Grid definitely needs more love :)
I disagree that Phase Plant is quicker when doing quick modulation setups. I can (and do) also setup default patches in the Grid with a few Osc's, filters, modulators, etc. Select the arrow on the LFO and in seconds I can modulate a dozen different parameters.

Also, the Grid has the modulation overview in the inspector. I can see all modulators and all targets and adjust all target depths right there without opening the expanded view or having to open a VST GUI and navigate around.

Also, Bitwig/Grid has many more types of modulators.

I believe you when you say your experience is that Phase Plant is faster for you, and Mattias too. But I disagree with stating that as a universal attribute. For me, The Grid is nearly as fast as most of my fixed architecture synths. I get the sounds I want really fast.

I also find Phase Plant really expensive to essentially duplicate what I already got built into Bitwig with the Grid.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:52 pm
xbitz wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:39 pm I'm still thinking that bit faster or more comfy the synth building with Phase Plant and doing the smaller things in Grid, Mattias has created a nice review if somebody missed it

I disagree that Phase Plant is quicker when doing quick modulation setups. I can (and do) also setup default patches in the Grid with a few Osc's, filters, modulators, etc. Select the arrow on the LFO and in seconds I can modulate a dozen different parameters.

Also, the Grid has the modulation overview in the inspector. I can see all modulators and all targets and adjust all target depths right there without opening the expanded view or having to open a VST GUI and navigate around.

Also, Bitwig/Grid has many more types of modulators.

I believe you when you say your experience is that Phase Plant is faster for you, and Mattias too. But I disagree with stating that as a universal attribute. For me, The Grid is nearly as fast as most of my fixed architecture synths. I get the sounds I want really fast.

I also find Phase Plant really expensive to essentially duplicate what I already got built into Bitwig with the Grid.
That is exactly my experience too.

I have to agree. The grid has become my go-to instrument.

xbitz wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:39 pm "That said, Phase Plant is by far quicker to reach a desired sound." - yepp, this what I've experienced myself too, Grid definitely needs more love :)
I had the chance to test Phase Plant for a complete month during an OSC. My experience was exactly the opposite, I found the only oscillator which was usable was the wavetable, whereas in Bitwig I got interesting expressions with the simple oscillators. Setup modulation or FM was quick and easy in the Grid and way too complicated in Phase Plant. In addition it needed all those extra to be paid fx to sound decent. Without I could not discover any character...
Now with Bitwigs wavetable the last possible argument for Phase Plant vanished... (it wasn‘t that valid, as I got Pigments and Surge to cover wavetables already...)
Maybe coming from Max/MSP does help to get into a modular Grid mindset...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”