Should I buy any Ik Multimedia products?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jrides wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:53 am Try before you buy. If for some reason the product doesn’t work on your computer properly, you probably shouldn’t buy. Don’t know if I will buy any more of their products other than maybe the tape machine. But I wouldn’t spend more than $30 or $40 on it. It might be a year or more before it ever hits that price. However, at least by then they should have fixed the bugs I have seen reported.
Wait for a sale and get Softube's Tape instead.

The only reason I bought any IK was I liked the Leslie, the rest I have better covered by others. Then I got sucked into Amplitube (mistake).

Now I'm waiting for Kazrog's new series of guitar amp sims which look like they'll be great.

Through a combination of various promotions, I ended up with their "Total Studio Max" bundle, which despite the name still doesn't include a lot of things. The two words that will drive you insane with IK are "custom shop," where even if you buy the largest bundle they offer you will find many parts of their plugins locked out behind an additional per-feature paywall (I'm looking at you, Amplitube and T-Racks). I can't even comment on the quality of their tape machines because despite having, so far as I can tell, the most "comprehensive" bundle they offer, the tape plugins somehow are not included...

If you can stand being constantly taunted by locked-up features, though, overall the quality is pretty reasonable (at least with the "stable" versions of their products). Setup is indeed a hassle, and their "portal" app is kind of miserable to use (and requires a separate authorizer app, with an even more opaque interface, to actually activate the software, why????). I've been happy enough with the products I have from them, generally nice interfaces and easy to use once the awful install process is completed, but I can't think of much they offer, other than quantity, that is distinct against the competition (with the possible exception of Modo Bass, at least among the instruments I have).

As for tape plugins, I can't really comment on these, I've heard around that they sound pretty good but are very CPU-heavy. Personally for tape I use Wavesfactory Cassette or Aberrant DSP SketchCassette II the most.

I never had any problems with their plugins and the authorisation process. And I don´t care about the custom shop and the installaion of stuff I don´t own. I deleted all the stuff manually that I have not bought afterwards and that´s it.

I bought the Total Studio Max bundle two times (in 2013 and 2020 as an upgrade) for less than 150$ each and I am pretty happy with them.

IMHO the sound quality is top notch and covers a lot of vintage vibes. GUIs are resizeable and CPU is from low too high depending on the module.

I never had issues that had to be solved via customer support so I can´t comment on that but Peter from IKM was always very helpful and kind if I asked him something.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

I would not buy something from IKM. Mediocre products, poor company.

4damind wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:25 am I would not buy something from IKM. Mediocre products, poor company.
To say everything from IK is mediocre is bs. I'ts more about the user. I bad craftsman blames the tools.

As far as the quality, they started to improve since Mesa Boogie pack. Some genuine quality artist collections and virtual instruments since. Definitely no sucky-sucky stuff, albeit I wish my GF thought otherwise.

IK company rep said changes were made amongst support team ranks recently. Lets hope it's for the better. Hopefully, a few slackers and procrastinators were removed from the team to allow a healthy work space.

I know how this goes. I have a small company, hired a couple of relative's relative once, they soon began taking advantage and toxic-flatulencing the office. Soon enough no one worked, good employees were spoiled, it all went down the drainer. I took the initiative and booted the buggers. They whinged and whined and then some, while good employees went back to work, productivity returned, the air was cleaned. Lesson learned. Boot the bugger.

minkray wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 am IK company rep said changes were made amongst support team ranks recently. Lets hope it's for the better. Hopefully, a few slackers and procrastinators were removed from the team to allow a healthy work space.
i hope they removed Peter from company... very toxic man.

Hmmm. If so, there's a new KVR Admin named 'Peter.' Coincidence?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

In his defence, he takes a lot of shit from people, including me on occasion. Sometimes people bite back. Not exactly professional, but human.

I've never had any real issue with the installation process. The CS bullshit, and having access to presets that I don't own and that don't work is a PITA, and they seem pretty tone-deaf about that.
Customer support....my one sole major issue I've had with IK software was That Sampletank 4SE didn't work properly with Logic's arpeggiator. After over 2 weeks of classic IT support suggestions, someone finally went into my computer, found a problem, fixed it. Still didn't resolve the arp issue (needed a S4 update, ffs!), but it took that long for the issue to be taken seriously. I wasn't impressed.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Deep discounts and transfer fees basically make your plug-ins worthless on the resale market.
This applies to almost everything. There are people waiting months to buy Komplete because they know there will be a sale.

Same with Cubase, etc.

Most companies have deep discount promotions. Software licenses nosedive in value the second you click Buy. Buy expecting to get your value through use, not recoup on resale.

And Total Studio includes products that existed when it was released, not those released after its release.

The same way Komplete didn't get Raum until the Komplete 13 update. This is normal.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

TBF Peter Coincidence is a cool name.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

4damind wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:25 am I would not buy something from IKM. Mediocre products, poor company.
Their Hammond B3 VSTI is the best ITB representation of a real B3. Their MODO Bass soundengine is killer, almost as authentic as samples.
Mr Arkadin wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:49 am
jrides wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:53 am Try before you buy. If for some reason the product doesn’t work on your computer properly, you probably shouldn’t buy. Don’t know if I will buy any more of their products other than maybe the tape machine. But I wouldn’t spend more than $30 or $40 on it. It might be a year or more before it ever hits that price. However, at least by then they should have fixed the bugs I have seen reported.
Wait for a sale and get Softube's Tape instead.
Get neither since neither Softube Tape nor IK Tape lets you link controls. Instead get Fuse Audio Labs Flywheel and U-he Satin.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:06 pmhe takes a lot of shit from people
He wouldn't have to take sh!t if the company he represents was righteous and honest!

:party:

I'll definitely get their tape emus as I was saying.

I was never all that impressed with their guitar stuff. I think Neural DSP are top of the pile.

soulone82 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:48 pm
Bombadil wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:06 pmhe takes a lot of shit from people
He wouldn't have to take sh!t if the company he represents was righteous and honest!

:party:
Well, that's why you should've included the 'including me' bit.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Effects”