Autolinks : distracting, really not doing anything useful.

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Erisian wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:28 pm Why have we gone from Autolinks to thumbs up/down when there are two perfectly good threads on those subjects?
Oh, man, if only I could thumbs down your reply....

:hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:30 pm
Erisian wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:28 pm Why have we gone from Autolinks to thumbs up/down when there are two perfectly good threads on those subjects?

❄️

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:41 pm

❄️
:troll:

Erisian wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:44 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:41 pm

❄️
:troll:
🕺

Bitwig.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:22 pmBitwig.
merkin.

revvy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:22 pmBitwig.
Have you tried Reaper?

Another example why those autolinks are complete and utter crap:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=517113&p=8016396#p8016396
There are several posts about a new phrasebox beta, which is on a separate page on the devs website.
Now a user asked about a link and I thought, wait, what? There's a link right there in the first post with the changelog...
But when I clicked it, I found its another f**king autolink... :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :roll: :x

These things are so bad on so many levels, since they suggest something that just isn't there.
And you only find out if you click the link that it's a completely useless waste of time.
I DO NOT CARE FOR SOME ENTRY IN A DATABASE.
If the autolink wouldn't have been there, I'd created a normal link myself in my first post on the topic.

On the same page in the release notes, there are autolinks for "Drag" and for "Piano", now how useful is that kind of general stuff?

Please, please, please remove this utterly annoying "feature", nothing KVR ever did makes me as angry as this automatic brainless shit.

Sorry for getting expletive, but this is the opposite of everything humans developed a brain for.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

More examples:
viewtopic.php?p=8016445#p8016445
This post contains several autolinks, one is "Sphere", which the author in the text makes clear is supposed to be Presonus Sphere, their subscription thing. The Autolink points to Sonicbits Sphere, a reverb plugin...
The next autolink is "Focus" from Reason Studios, but the autolink points at Focus from Nugen Audio, a stereo tool.
So these things are constantly pointing at the wrong thing!
The audio plugin market does simply not lend itself to this kind of primitive search and replace function, since
a.) there are tons of tools with the same name and
b.) a ton of tools use very normal words as names.
So in the end, all this becomes is a kind of random idiocy generator that will do a lot to confuse people but hardly anything helpful.

Get rid of it now, it's crap.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Yeah, this is one of those features that maybe sounded nice when thinking about it for 2 seconds, but after 3 seconds of thinking, it should become quite clear how, and excuse my choice of words, utterly stupid it is.

I'd much rather have some useful auto notification stuff, like a basic mentioning system.
Like, if I go @EvilDragon, it would be nice if he'd get a notification about being mentioned by someone in a thread.

The Nerdy Music Guy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:44 pm Yeah, this is one of those features that maybe sounded nice when thinking about it for 2 seconds, but after 3 seconds of thinking, it should become quite clear how, and excuse my choice of words, utterly stupid it is.

I'd much rather have some useful auto notification stuff, like a basic mentioning system.
Like, if I go @EvilDragon, it would be nice if he'd get a notification about being mentioned by someone in a thread.

you can set notifications so at least if you're quoted you'll get notified :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Autolinks here are truly terrible!
I was about to write pretty much what @ThomasHelzle wrote a couple posts above.
Auto-generated BS like this diminishes KVR's already low Signal-To-Noise Ratio and its usefulness and credibility as an information site.

+1 to most of the previous comments. They (Ben) did at least remove them on mobile devices. Please everyone keep on complaining and maybe we'll get rid completely.

I keep clicking on things thinking that they are links to the mentioned software only to find that they are something entirely different. I wonder how much valuable bandwidth I waste that way.

Return to “Site Stuff”