One Synth Challenge #144: Rand by Sampleson (schiing Wins! kylebenjamin grabs the single instance prize!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Taron wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 pm Hmmm...
Here's my first little test, just a quickie (no mastering whatsoever):
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/randy001/s-rGv1BlQn2BU
*NOTE TO SELF*
Do not listen to Taron's 'work in progress' while writing music. The gap is sometimes too big for inspiration, just leaving me with that 'omg how will I ever get there' feeling.
:lol:
Seriously, amazing work mate, to these ears.

Taron wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:47 pm You can automate it to change sounds or if the synth allows splits, that's cool, too. Surge was the perfect beast for the job, but... alas. Don't think anyone succeeded?!
Vital was also an excellent candidate for this, due to its versatile mod mapping. Even without any clever automation you could produce a huge variety of sounds from a single patch.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Spring Goose wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:26 pm
Taron wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:03 pm Ah, Spring Goose was sneaking in while I was writing,
Gooses are renowned for sneaking.
Just stay away from my bell tower, yeah?
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

zarf wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:46 pm
Taron wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 pm Hmmm...
Here's my first little test, just a quickie (no mastering whatsoever):
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/randy001/s-rGv1BlQn2BU
*NOTE TO SELF*
Do not listen to Taron's 'work in progress' while writing music. The gap is sometimes too big for inspiration, just leaving me with that 'omg how will I ever get there' feeling.
:lol:
Seriously, amazing work mate, to these ears.
Owww, snap...c'mon! :hihi: :hug:
Thanks, Zarf, but this is, eh...just thanks! :hihi:

FrogsInPants wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:09 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:26 pm
Taron wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:03 pm Ah, Spring Goose was sneaking in while I was writing,
Gooses are renowned for sneaking.
Just stay away from my bell tower, yeah?
Sure.

Taron wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:21 pm Owww, snap...c'mon! :hihi: :hug:
Thanks, Zarf, but this is, eh...just thanks! :hihi:
Well, I don't mean it's the greatest composition ever of course, but what prompted my comment was going from listening to my work in progress to yours straight after. In the second part of your piece with the drums, they just sound so clear and defined next to mine, plus the depth in the mix sounds so much more effortless and refined than anything I seem to get to even after long periods of mixing.
:)

https://soundcloud.com/taptapdoubletap/ ... ess-memory

So my experience of Rand is that it's a synth that refuses to behave itself - you never know what you're going to get.

Okay, so you can go under the hood and tweak things, but they never stay tweaked, which is frustrating and yet strangely stimulating.

This effort is an attempt to embrace the randomness - every time the track is rendered from the DAW, it comes out slightly differently.

So imagine what the others must have sounded like.

DAW: Logic

Rand x18

Logic FX only:
Channel EQ x24
Compressor x20
Expander x 1
Exciter x 1
Noise Gate x2
Limiter x13
Clip Distortion x 1
SilverVerb x1
Space Delay x2
Bitcrusher x1

d16 Frontier x2

Youlean says it's -14.1 lufs

Brace yourself for sample and hold.

Double Tap wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:18 am So imagine what the others must have sounded like.
Ha ha that made me laugh out loud - terrific way of looking at it :D I haven't listened to you track yet but I am seriously looking forward to it... suprer creative stuff... :)

Voted! So many great tracks. Enjoyed listening to the large variety of music styles.

reusenoise wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:00 pm Here a copules of kick drum,just a starting point.
Files are in .fxp program
For some reason, neither Reaper nor Cakewalk scan Rand, so I had to revert to Push. Unfortunately that doesn't load your fxp-files.
What was your method of getting a kickdrum out of this box? I didn't get anything really decent...

jemaudio wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:01 pm Voted! So many great tracks. Enjoyed listening to the large variety of music styles.
Wow, so you're a time traveller? Most of us haven't even submitted...

Taron wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:47 pm ...You can automate it to change sounds or if the synth allows splits, that's cool, too. Surge was the perfect beast for the job, but...
I would have bet Surge was going to be chosen for this round, since it got a substantial update in january. Well, maybe next month...

zarf wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:31 am
Double Tap wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:18 am So imagine what the others must have sounded like.
Ha ha that made me laugh out loud - terrific way of looking at it :D I haven't listened to you track yet but I am seriously looking forward to it... suprer creative stuff... :)
Haha, that's made my day - thanks :)

(! NOT MY ENTRY - already posted !)

Here's an experiment: I lined up 50 instances of Rand, pushed random once on each of them, and went with the result, OSC style, come what may (and I suppose it sounds like it - bit of a mess. I did it all in a couple of hours, so I hope you'll forgive me :lol: )

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/50-r ... rogramming

(Drums are edited - Rand does NOT randomize perfectly aligned kicks!)
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Nvm
Last edited by Eauson on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Return to “Instruments”