Hive 2.1 public beta 02 revision 10947 (incl. native Silicon M1 support)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

time for a new Hive 2.1 beta version, we are now at revision 10947.

Besides lots of fixes and improvements, there are two main attractions:

* native Apple Silicon M1 support :hyper:
* a revised version of the Izmo skin

Downloads:

Hive 2.1 beta 10947 Mac
Hive 2.1 beta 10947 Win
Hive 2.1 beta 10947 Linux

Apple Silicon M1 support

Obviously, if you already own a Mac with the M1 chip, this beta is for you.
This is our very first version with integrated M1 support, means we need lots of feedback here.
Please let us know if everything works as expected, and report anything that looks or feels suspicious.

There is one downside of having M1 support, we temporarily lost support for the AAX format on Mac.
Avid does not offer support for Big Sur and M1 chips yet. In order to build for M1, the AAX version had to be removed.
We will bring back Mac AAX support in a future update, once Avid provides an updated SDK for building AAX plugins.

Mac GUI performance

There is now a single hidden preference in the com.u-he.Hive.Preferences.txt file.
V_PROPERTY name='Preference' id='0' value='AllViews:Cocoa View Update Strategy:ECO'.
It can be set to ECO or SMOOTH.

ECO requires the least amount of CPU resources while still delivering great GUI performance.
SMOOTH delivers an even better GUI performance, but at the expense of a bit more CPU consumption.

The default state is ECO and should work fine in most situations.
Ideally you'll never need to touch this setting.
But if you want that extra bit of smooth graphics performance, you can always set it to SMOOTH.

If you had the previous beta installed, the other hidden options will still be present in the file, but they are nonfunctional now.
And the update strategy setting might still display whatever you chose last, but all settings will default to ECO now.

Original skin and Izmo

As a lot of users had mixed feelings about it, we adjusted the Wavetable position graphic in the original skin. How does it feel now?

And Plugmon listened to all your feedback and provided a revised version of Izmo.
Please have another go at it, and tell us what you think.
It's still work in progress, and it hasn't been performance optimized yet (this turns out to be a major operation).
Please continue discussing all things Izmo in its own dedicated thread over here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=559586

Everything else

Apart from this, we fixed and improved quite a few things.
Here are the changes since the last beta (rev. 10837):

Improvements:

* Native support for Apple Silicon M1 chips
* Improved hold pedal behaviour, can now play trills in mono modes
* Hidden preference to improve GUI performance on Mac
* Version number updated to 2.1 (not in the manual and readme yet)

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed: Stuck notes when playing notes while plugin bypassed in Cubase
* Fixed: VST3 arp/sequencer issue in Tracktion & Mixcraft
* Fixed: Sequencer Mod CCs were only working on MIDI channel 1
* Fixed: Rare DC issue (level overshooting or sound cutting out)
* Fixed: Sub osc could produce aliasing under certain conditions
* Fixed: Hold pedal could sustain wrong voice
* Fixed: LFO could cause false envelope triggers
* Fixed: Crash on project reload if mod matrix was displayed in scope
* Fixed: Rare crash when loading a preset that uses a wavetable
* Fixed: CPU surge when playing notes with all filter routings disabled
* Fixed: Issue when using MIDI sources as input source for FG in Follow mode
* Fixed: mod assigner depth ring was twice as long as it should be for bipolar targets
* Fixed: Linux version was blacklisted in Ardour

Known Issues:

* AAX support on Mac removed temporarily (will come back in Hive 2.1.1)
* Izmo skin is still work in progress
* Manual for 2.1 is still work in progress
* Old presets might display wrong sources in scope

For all the things fixed and improved since the last release version (rev. 9709), please refer to the first public beta thread here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=559585

Cheers,
Tas
Last edited by tasmaniandevil on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Fantastic.
Thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:15 pmwe adjusted the Wavetable position graphic in the original skin. How does it feel now?
Weird. You click on the horizontal slider, and an orange circle appears (part of keyboard navigation etc.)? And then you move the mouse left-right because the slider is horizontal and it doesn't move? It only responds to up/down movement, so there's that disconnect...

It LOOKS better, yes. But it'd be perfect without that orange circle (or that circle should become a rectangle surrounding the slider, that'd be more consistent!), and horizontal mouse movement.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tas, I am getting a corrupted Mac download.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zvenx on Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Installer fails here -- Big Sur, MacBook Pro 2018. No detailed information - just a failure message at the end of the installation process.

I'm on it, seems it got corrupted during upload.

+1
installer also fais here
midway through installation:

mac mini2012 intel, mac osx mojave

Please try again to download it, I've replaced the Mac installer.
The file should now be named Hive_21-beta_10947_Mac.zip.
If it's still called Hive_21_beta_10947_Mac.zip, then flush your browser cache and try again.

Thanks Tas. All good now.
rsp
sound sculptist

Agree with Evil Dragon, Wavetable slot much nicer now, and curiously I don't get any orange dot, but up and down for a horizontal slider? Ok, so try the mouse wheel and I'm thinking zooming through the wavetable, I can get that, I suppose I'll get used to it. It just seems a bit odd.... otherwise perfect skin for me.

Thanks for the quick fix - working fine now.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:41 pm
tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:15 pmwe adjusted the Wavetable position graphic in the original skin. How does it feel now?
Weird. You click on the horizontal slider, and an orange circle appears (part of keyboard navigation etc.)? And then you move the mouse left-right because the slider is horizontal and it doesn't move? It only responds to up/down movement, so there's that disconnect...

It LOOKS better, yes. But it'd be perfect without that orange circle (or that circle should become a rectangle surrounding the slider, that'd be more consistent!), and horizontal mouse movement.
I only get an orange dot if the WT position is being modulated by the active modulator. Is that what you're seeing?

Totally agree that the position should respond to L/R mouse movements, or be moved to a vertical slider along the left edge and keep the up/down movements. There's definitely a disconnect as-is.

Maybe that whole WT screen should just respond to horizontal mouse movement instead of vertical?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:19 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:41 pm

I only get an orange dot if the WT position is being modulated by the active modulator. Is that what you're seeing?

Totally agree that the position should respond to L/R mouse movements, or be moved to a vertical slider along the left edge and keep the up/down movements. There's definitely a disconnect as-is.
Of course, that why I wasn't seeing the orange dot, no modulator dhu! Thanks...!
OK I'm seeing it now and I don't know what to think, I'm going to go and think about this a bit, and play about with it, before making any more comments..

yes, thanks
now the installer is working

Return to “u-he”