Hyakken is the HY dev !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

greenmind72 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:15 pm Also, there’s an update out for HY-Poly (with new vector engine), in case anyone hasn’t been following the HY-Poly thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=547506&start=90
Have the graphical CPU usage issues been sorted out?

I just bought HY-RPE2 the other day after playing with the freebie that was recently put out on the BPB. I'm having a problem that I have spent a couple hours trying to fix, wondering if anyone else has encountered it. It would appear that all of the MIDI channels are going out summed, on each individual MIDI channel from RPE2. I am using Cubase 10.5 Pro. (ie: MIDI 1 = MIDI 1-16, MIDI 2 = MIDI 1-16, MIDI 3 = MIDI 1-16....)

After trying to send a MIDI out (2 and 3) to a couple of Multi's in Omnisphere (set to MIDI channels 2 and 3)and each patch in Omnisphere was getting both patterns from HY-RPE2. I could even set a channel in RPE2 to something I wasn't using like say MIDI 6, and that channels MIDI data was still coming through MIDI 2.

I finally used Retrologue which only allows one instance. I set the MIDI input to 7. I had a pattern on two channels on RPE2 set to MIDI 2 and MIDI 3. All of the MIDI data came out Retrologue, which shouldn't have seen any.

Interestingly enough, if I use the MIDI record function, the the drag and drop data is correct. This makes me lean towards user error but I honestly can't see what I could be doing wrong. My MIDI channels are all set correctly both in the Cubase instrument channel and the one on RPE2.

I know most folks will probably use this with a drum program where you can set different sounds via different MIDI notes using the same channel which would work just fine. Has anyone used this to trigger multiple different instruments, or multiple instances of instruments and gotten this to work?
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

BassMasterK wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:01 pm I just bought HY-RPE2 the other day after playing with the freebie that was recently put out on the BPB. I'm having a problem that I have spent a couple hours trying to fix, wondering if anyone else has encountered it. It would appear that all of the MIDI channels are going out summed, on each individual MIDI channel from RPE2. I am using Cubase 10.5 Pro. (ie: MIDI 1 = MIDI 1-16, MIDI 2 = MIDI 1-16, MIDI 3 = MIDI 1-16....)
Just tested this in Reaper by setting up a quick test in HY-RPE2 in the grid with each of four rows all only playing a single different note going to a separate channel then routing all the MIDI to another track that has Omnisphere with a multi I created with four distinct patches listening on channels 1-4 with very distinct sounds.

Worked fine. Could hear the four sounds playing just 'their' notes output from the sequencer e.g. channel 1 was set to only send an A1 and I couldn't hear anything except A1 on the first patch in Omnisphere and there was no A1 on any of the other patches.

This was in latest version of HY-RPE2, latest Reaper build on Windows 10. The only thing I haven't got latest version of is Omnisphere as I have one before latest version because patch notes didn't suggest there was much worth bothering to download for a Windows user, seemed mainly a fix for Mac people.

Don't have Cubase (not going to either until they come up with a dongle free version) so can't do a direct comparison.

Dumb question... you have set up the Omnisphere multi patches to listen on different channels?
rpe2.png
omni_patches.png
* NB. the screenshot shows different pitches on CH 1 sequence - only because I inevitably started tweaking stuff to sound better after the initial tests. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Thanks for the reply WatchTheGuitar. Your screenshots and description make it clear it is working perfectly on your end. Here is what I am seeing. Taking the default Euclidian sequence (it makes it easy to see what is going on), you can see I have Omnisphere set up for channel 1 and 2 which are set to two different instruments. The RPE2 screen shows that I have the 8 channels set to MIDI 1 through 8, a different MIDI channel on each RPE2 channel. If you look at my track screen you can see I have the MIDI channels for the two Omnisphere tracks set to 1 and 2 respectively. When recording, each track should see one note of midi data every two beats, with the track on MIDI channel two, being a 16th note behind the track with MIDI channel one. You can see from the recording that instead, I am getting MIDI channels 1 through 8 on both of the tracks, recording a series of eight 16th notes.

This is super perplexing. I feel like I have to be doing something wrong, but I work with assigning MIDI channels all the time. I just can't see what it is. Hopefully someone sees something and can clue me in.

I don't know enough about Cubase to comment about that DAW specifically, but I know within Reaper it's a little bit of a faff setting up instruments which have multiple outputs. I have to use an option in the plugin wrapper window to make all those audio outs available and map them to input channel numbers on the track that holds omnisphere, then I route the audio out to individual audio tracks e.g. channel A stuff maps from stereo audio 1/2, B maps from 3/4.
But, I don't need multiple Omnisphere tracks to handle MIDI - the only MIDI comes from HY-RPE2 in one track and is routed into the track with Omnisphere on it and those routes out to audio all come from just that one Omnisphere instance.
I don't understand why you have two tracks showing MIDI and not audio.

Are you safe?

Again, WatchTheGuitar, thank you for the reply. I have this almost figured out, but for sure enough to make this work. Cubase has the same faffy setup with instruments with multiple outputs. In this case, my mistake was in setting up two Omnisphere tracks, and assigning each one to a MIDI channel. I only needed one Omnisphere track. It separates out all the MIDI channels inside the one track/instance. Then when I set the MIDI to "All" it uses channels 1 and 2 properly and the instruments sound like they should, when they are triggered.

I still have a little bit to figure out to get exactly what I am looking for, but this is totally working for me now.

Good to hear, yeah it can get tricky, but at least Reaper and Cubase let you do this stuff. Some DAWs like Ableton have big problems dealing with MIDI plugins that output MIDI on multiple channels.

Are you safe?

Hi - I am having trouble understanding the HY-RPE2 grid sequencer. Apologies but I am obviously missing something basic. Each track has 8 'bars', and can have 8 patterns across each of 8 blocks? These can be put into patterns in the chainer? I am getting into knots just writing this! lol

Can anyone put this into very baby steps for me, please? This VST looks great and I would love to unlock its potential! Thanks very much indeed.

ahall wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:25 am Hi - I am having trouble understanding the HY-RPE2 grid sequencer. Apologies but I am obviously missing something basic. Each track has 8 'bars', and can have 8 patterns across each of 8 blocks? These can be put into patterns in the chainer? I am getting into knots just writing this! lol

Can anyone put this into very baby steps for me, please? This VST looks great and I would love to unlock its potential! Thanks very much indeed.
It sounds like you already have the general idea.

Important: The 2 colored dots at the end of each track's pattern changes that track's pattern view from blocks 1-4 to blocks 5-8.

In the chainer grid, chainers 1-8 across the top represent each of the 8 tracks. The chainers are color matched to the tracks.

The 8 rows (plus 'x' for skip) in the chainer grid represent each of the 8 blocks in the pattern of the selected chainer track. Remember that blocks 5-8 are hidden unless the pattern view is changed by clicking the bottom dot at the end of the pattern.

The 'Size' field underneath the grid lets you select the number of bars the sequencer will play through before repeating.

By default, each track in the chainer is set to play pattern blocks 1-4 of each track sequentially for 4 bars. If you change the 'Size' to 8 and select row 5 in bar 5, row 6 in bar 6, row 7 in bar 7 and row 8 in bar 8 the sequencer will play 8 bars of all 8 pattern blocks sequentially.

The way I like to use it is to first program standard, generic sequential patterns to taste using blocks 1-4, and in blocks 5-8 I program more unique patterns using the different pattern block size options for rhythmic variations and randomness. Then experiment with the placement of the different pattern blocks for each track in the grid. It's a lot of fun to mess around with.

Sometimes when I'm feeling frisky I use two RPE2 instances. One, in sequential mode, routed to the other, in euclidean mode, with midi through turned on. Insane rhythmic possibilities.

Thank you @Evo2slo.

Even with patterns entered in 5-8 and the global size set to 8 (or more) I am still only repeating blocks 1-4. Do you know what I might be missing? Thanks again
evo2slo wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm
ahall wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:25 am Hi - I am having trouble understanding the HY-RPE2 grid sequencer. Apologies but I am obviously missing something basic. Each track has 8 'bars', and can have 8 patterns across each of 8 blocks? These can be put into patterns in the chainer? I am getting into knots just writing this! lol

It sounds like you already have the general idea.

Important: The 2 colored dots at the end of each track's pattern changes that track's pattern view from blocks 1-4 to blocks 5-8.

In the chainer grid, chainers 1-8 across the top represent each of the 8 tracks. The chainers are color matched to the tracks.

The 8 rows (plus 'x' for skip) in the chainer grid represent each of the 8 blocks in the pattern of the selected chainer track. Remember that blocks 5-8 are hidden unless the pattern view is changed by clicking the bottom dot at the end of the pattern.

The 'Size' field underneath the grid lets you select the number of bars the sequencer will play through before repeating.

By default, each track in the chainer is set to play pattern blocks 1-4 of each track sequentially for 4 bars. If you change the 'Size' to 8 and select row 5 in bar 5, row 6 in bar 6, row 7 in bar 7 and row 8 in bar 8 the sequencer will play 8 bars of all 8 pattern blocks sequentially.

The way I like to use it is to first program standard, generic sequential patterns to taste using blocks 1-4, and in blocks 5-8 I program more unique patterns using the different pattern block size options for rhythmic variations and randomness. Then experiment with the placement of the different pattern blocks for each track in the grid. It's a lot of fun to mess around with.

Sometimes when I'm feeling frisky I use two RPE2 instances. One, in sequential mode, routed to the other, in euclidean mode, with midi through turned on. Insane rhythmic possibilities.

ahall wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:47 pm Even with patterns entered in 5-8 and the global size set to 8 (or more) I am still only repeating blocks 1-4. Do you know what I might be missing? Thanks again
Check that you have the same chainer track selected (color matched above the chainer grid) as the track that you entered patterns 5-8 for. Remember that each chainer track is independent from each other.

In the attached image track 1 pattern blocks 5-8 will run sequentially for 4 bars. Hope that helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HY-Tadashi!

Is it possible to add a definable step counter to HY-MPS, so the whole sequence of several blocks resets at let's say step 13 instead of 16 like you can do on other step sequencers?
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Having a blast with HY-RPE2 and now have the Euclidian sequencer figured out. I started to mess around with the grid sequencer tonight and I have one question. I'm not able to see where I can tie two notes together, or mix note lengths within the same block/measure. For example, if you want to sequence a melody and not just drum hits, you might want a half note followed by two quarter notes for the first block/measure. If you set the block to 4 divisions, that would be 4 quarter notes. I'm not seeing how to link/tie the first two together. Any help? I know I could go in manually after I pull the midi into Cubase and lengthen notes, but the other sequencers I use all have this tie/note lengthen feature. I figure I must be missing something obvious but it isn't mentioned in the manual.

BassMasterK wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:05 am Having a blast with HY-RPE2 and now have the Euclidian sequencer figured out. I started to mess around with the grid sequencer tonight and I have one question. I'm not able to see where I can tie two notes together, or mix note lengths within the same block/measure. For example, if you want to sequence a melody and not just drum hits, you might want a half note followed by two quarter notes for the first block/measure. If you set the block to 4 divisions, that would be 4 quarter notes. I'm not seeing how to link/tie the first two together. Any help? I know I could go in manually after I pull the midi into Cubase and lengthen notes, but the other sequencers I use all have this tie/note lengthen feature. I figure I must be missing something obvious but it isn't mentioned in the manual.
HY-MPS2 is very similar to RPE2 but is focused more on melody use and has a 'slur' button for linking notes. Perhaps Tadashi would consider adding this feature to RPE2, but that might distract from its focus as a percussive sequencer.

You can achieve something similar though by decreasing the step size of a pattern block. Setting the step size to 1 and maximizing the gate would have the same effect as tying 4 quarter notes together, or with a step size of 2 you could link the 1st and 2nd quarter notes and/or the 3rd and 4th quarter notes. There's no way that I know of though to link the 2nd and 3rd quarter notes together, but perhaps you could get something similar by setting the step size to 3 and adjusting the shift control.

Your example of a half note followed by 2 quarter notes is acheivable by setting the pattern block step size to 2 and setting a 'Roll' of 2 on the second note. So there's workarounds, but definitely not the same as having a Slur button.

Thanks for the reply evo2slo. You have given me a lot to consider and play with. This may just be a case where this isn't particularly the best sequencer for this particular job. I was excited to give it a shot since I feel like I have the Euclidian engine figured out. I'll mess with it a bit more and if it isn't working well, bring in a different sequencer.

Return to “Effects”